Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times

Advertisements

NYC has suburbian like neighborhoods aswell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Well if the OP wants better for his family he will always do better in either NJ, LI, Westchester, Rockland, or anywhere more family friendly then NYC
I live in Kew Gardens- Queens County.

I'm an extremely short bike ride away from Forest Park. Wonderful, family neighborhood with horse riding, hiking trails, plenty of courts, picnic areas and a 9 hole golf course! LOW CRIME RATE!

That's pretty hard to beat!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodwinked View Post
I live in Kew Gardens- Queens County.

I'm an extremely short bike ride away from Forest Park. Wonderful, family neighborhood with horse riding, hiking trails, plenty of courts, picnic areas and a 9 hole golf course! LOW CRIME RATE!

That's pretty hard to beat!
I'm in Midwood, Brooklyn. I can say precisely the same thing as you did, only substituting Prospect Park for Forest Park (except for the golf course). Neither one of us scores any points with NJ Chutzpah, though. He wasn't kidding when he decided upon that word, "chutzpah."

Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

93 posts, read 309,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
NYC has suburbian like neighborhoods aswell

Not really the same thing. It has changed a lot since I was growing up in NJ suburbia though. My theory is that the baby boom generation - being the self-obsessed scum that they are - turned their kids into a bunch of over-protected, micro-managed vanity projects and as a result the culture of the suburbs has totally changed.

We were always out of the house on our own, roaming in the woods, playing pick-up football-basketball-baseball-whatever, and generally were free to do whatever the hell we wanted. Now you never see kids outside, or playing in the parks unless it is parentally organized, or even roaming in friggin' packs up to no good on Halloween any more.

I hope now that my generation is popping out babies that parents will back the F off a bit like ours did and the suburban experience will be a great one for kids as it was for us, but I'm not so sure. So even though the OP seems like kind of a nitwit I can't say he's entirely wrong either. Maybe kids growing up in somewhere like Bay Ridge will be less pussified. lol.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
Not really the same thing.
Ya its close enough, good enough for kids. U still get that laid back feel with the wealth of the city aswell. Im more worldly just cuz i grew up in nyc alone. How could i not be. I had no choice

Old 07-31-2008, 04:52 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,307 times
Say no to New Jerseyian suburbia.

I'd go with Brooklyn because it's dense and probably has easier access to Manhattan

Old 07-31-2008, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 20,394 times
Have the people who are saying Jersey suburbs and Brooklyn are the same thing actually lived in those places? I've lived in Jersey suburbs my whole life. I used to live within a 30 minute drive from NYC when I was in middle school. I cannot believe that it was the same thing at all as living in Brooklyn.

If my kids were going to high school I might choose a Jersey suburb over an nyc borough because the public education might be better but not completely sure on this

Old 07-31-2008, 06:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I'm a native Brooklynite, and I lived in a central New Jersey suburb (Marlboro Township) for eleven years. I might have to scrounge around to find a small comparison here and there, but for the most part, we're talking about two different worlds.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:44 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm a native Brooklynite, and I lived in a central New Jersey suburb (Marlboro Township) for eleven years. I might have to scrounge around to find a small comparison here and there, but for the most part, we're talking about two different worlds.
I have a friend in Marlboro. It's the countryside with lots of neat housing and commuters getting on and off coach buses

Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,988 times
I dont think anyone can really compare a borough to a state in general.
Kinda hard to compare.

But If you're looking for suburban type neighborhoods in Brooklyn, there are many here.
Marine Park, Old Mill Basin, Bergen Beach (my area) and Mill Basin. Those areas I named I'm familiar with and they kinda have a suburban feel.
Especially Bergen Beach.

The only suburb I visited and know in NJ is: Willingboro.
Its 30 mins from Philly and I think its nice out there. Although, I have heard other stories.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City