Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 AM

48 posts, read 139,514 times

Advertisements

Good point and true living in Manhattan is kind of a trap in a way, but its still a life style that doesn't depend on that petro burning machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 PM

215 posts, read 661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfabian View Post
Life in the city is more natural for civilization and mental stimulation.
Oh, yes. Behold the height of human achievement: Brooklyn. In case you haven't realized it, Brooklyn is a suburb of New York City, not a city in its own right. It's a pretty crappy suburb, missing many of the comforts of most Westchester county communities, while costing, for the most part, substantially more. A million dollars will get you a sprawling house of a few thousand square feet on an acre of land in a fantastic school district somewhere 5-10 minutes away by car from the White Plains station. The same amount of money will get you a dingy, horribly uncomfortable "brownstone" in a ghetto neighborhood like Bedford-Stuy (forget about buying a house for a measly $1 mil in Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights). Commute by subway from, say, the mostly ghetto Clinton Hill (where brownstones go for $1.5 mil or so) to midtown is around 35-40 minutes. Commute to midtown from White Plains is pretty much the same: 36-38 min.

Quote:
The suburb life style is limited mostly to one's house. I can take a walk around the block in the city and have enough stimulus to feel like I did something without even spending a penny.
Walks around the block are especially fabulous when you're coming to your ghetto house late at night and someone tries to mug you. Or when you're dragging several heavy bags of groceries home (you don't have children to feed, I suspect) instead of dropping them in the trunk of your car and driving straight into your garage.

Quote:
I don't have to drive to and crawl around a Walmart for action like so many suburbanites do.
Yes. There are no Walmarts in Brooklyn. Which means that Brooklynites have to buy the same crap, but at twice the price and often past the expiration date from the local bodega. For something actually decent, both Westchesterites and Brooklynites would need to go to Manhattan which, as I've mentioned, is roughly equidistant from both brownstone Brooklyn and Westchester county, time-wise.

Quote:
Everything depends on that box, without it how can suburbia function. For about $80/month I can basically go most everywhere via the subway (including the airport).
If third world ****holes had subways, they'd look like the New York City subway. Vomit-inducing stench, people who've brought their hygiene habits with them from whatever disfunctional countries they came from, rats, the suffocating summer heat while you're waiting for the train.. oh, the pleasures of public transportation.

I'll take the car, thank you very much. Either my own, or the taxi.

Quote:
In the suburbs one has to find something to do (not much stimulus). In the city one can just 'live' without a pressing need for this Walmart artificial entertainment mentality.
And what exactly is it that you do in Brooklyn at night? Don't offer me the hipster scene - I'm not into that. Third-rate galleries and restaurants? Yeah, both New Jersey and suburban New York got it. Ghetto dwellers, Hasidic Jews, guidos and their Italian (or is it Albanian these days?) speaking grannies, Russians, Pakistanis and others who have absolutely no desire to see me in their communities?

That's what Brooklyn realistically is. It's a place where highly insular communities put up with the rathole that is Brooklyn to be close to one another. If you're not a part of such a community, Brooklyn is a nightmare. The real estate is disgusting. Either horrifyingly overpriced 'brownstones' (I cannot afford a $3.5 mil Park Slope house, and neither can you), or ghetto neighbors, or rotting, disgusting bungaloes and duplexes of southern Brooklyn. There is no nightlife apart from the hipster scene. There's no way to park the car so you need to tread for 10-15 minutes to your home, in the dark, while it's raining and it's 35 degrees outside, and there's someone lurking in the shadows and you wonder if he has a gun.. ah, the eternal adventure that is Brooklyn.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM

125 posts, read 394,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
Oh, yes. Behold the height of human achievement: Brooklyn. In case you haven't realized it, Brooklyn is a suburb of New York City, not a city in its own right. It's a pretty crappy suburb, missing many of the comforts of most Westchester county communities, while costing, for the most part, substantially more. A million dollars will get you a sprawling house of a few thousand square feet on an acre of land in a fantastic school district somewhere 5-10 minutes away by car from the White Plains station. The same amount of money will get you a dingy, horribly uncomfortable "brownstone" in a ghetto neighborhood like Bedford-Stuy (forget about buying a house for a measly $1 mil in Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights). Commute by subway from, say, the mostly ghetto Clinton Hill (where brownstones go for $1.5 mil or so) to midtown is around 35-40 minutes. Commute to midtown from White Plains is pretty much the same: 36-38 min.

Walks around the block are especially fabulous when you're coming to your ghetto house late at night and someone tries to mug you. Or when you're dragging several heavy bags of groceries home (you don't have children to feed, I suspect) instead of dropping them in the trunk of your car and driving straight into your garage.

Yes. There are no Walmarts in Brooklyn. Which means that Brooklynites have to buy the same crap, but at twice the price and often past the expiration date from the local bodega. For something actually decent, both Westchesterites and Brooklynites would need to go to Manhattan which, as I've mentioned, is roughly equidistant from both brownstone Brooklyn and Westchester county, time-wise.

If third world ****holes had subways, they'd look like the New York City subway. Vomit-inducing stench, people who've brought their hygiene habits with them from whatever disfunctional countries they came from, rats, the suffocating summer heat while you're waiting for the train.. oh, the pleasures of public transportation.

I'll take the car, thank you very much. Either my own, or the taxi.

And what exactly is it that you do in Brooklyn at night? Don't offer me the hipster scene - I'm not into that. Third-rate galleries and restaurants? Yeah, both New Jersey and suburban New York got it. Ghetto dwellers, Hasidic Jews, guidos and their Italian (or is it Albanian these days?) speaking grannies, Russians, Pakistanis and others who have absolutely no desire to see me in their communities?

That's what Brooklyn realistically is. It's a place where highly insular communities put up with the rathole that is Brooklyn to be close to one another. If you're not a part of such a community, Brooklyn is a nightmare. The real estate is disgusting. Either horrifyingly overpriced 'brownstones' (I cannot afford a $3.5 mil Park Slope house, and neither can you), or ghetto neighbors, or rotting, disgusting bungaloes and duplexes of southern Brooklyn. There is no nightlife apart from the hipster scene. There's no way to park the car so you need to tread for 10-15 minutes to your home, in the dark, while it's raining and it's 35 degrees outside, and there's someone lurking in the shadows and you wonder if he has a gun.. ah, the eternal adventure that is Brooklyn.

LOL are you mad? tsk tsk tsk.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
LOL are you mad? tsk tsk tsk.
They are mad they are leaving in the boring suburbs!!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Here's another reason to be mad: reviving threads that had deserved to die, and had died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City