U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM

101 posts, read 268,923 times

Advertisements

I have some dear friends coming to visit me in Brooklyn Heights. I'm not sure how much time they want to spend in Brooklyn or how much time they actually want to spend with us. There will be some things we want to do that will overlap. anyway - would the $45.00 48 hr hop on hop off Gray Line Tour bus be a good deal for them?

I see they stop at the Fulton Ferry Landing on my side of the river (right down from me) but wouldn't the subway be more convenient? They are coming the first week in August so the subway stations could be very uncomfortable.

Would it be a more comfortable way to get the usual tourist spots?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,861,539 times
I don't think a whole lot of New Yorkers know much about this because we actually live here....

Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM

any opinions? arguments? I really really don't want to ride this Gray Line as a transportation mode. Unless its convenient or awesomely cool or something. anybody got a good argument why it makes no sense to buy a $45.00 / 48 hr ticket to their main 4 loops?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM

my thoughts exactly. I looked at their website. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever 'seen' one of the buses in a location where I thought . . . hey I could 'hop' on that to get to point B.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 PM

10,852 posts, read 26,797,422 times
I have had friends and family from all over the world who liked the Gray Line tour and its flexibility as opposed to stock tours that are for a set period and route. They felt it gave more of a chance to explore the city, and that it was easier to look for that bus to get to the tourist hot spots, than to try to get there on city buses, subways, or cabs. If your guests want to go far afield from the usual tourist spots, it might be less attractive, but for covering the basics, it's a pretty good deal.

An interesting aside, I was walking by the Empire State Building sometime last year and the gray line guys were around selling their tickets. One guy started to approach me and the other guy said to him, "You want to sell to the tourists, not the people who live here." I laughed, since I guess there is a way that they can easily indicate their target market.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Thats funny - my friends are 'seasoned tourists' they've successfully used the subway in Paris, public transportation in Spain - so I can't figure out why they would be interested in the Gray Line. I'm not buying a ticket so I guess I'll be leaving the met, etc. via subway while the get on the Gray Line. I mean its not like I can't direct them and there's always Hop Stop. I guess my friend doesn't want to feel hot while trying to traverse the subway or something.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,339,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
Thats funny - my friends are 'seasoned tourists' they've successfully used the subway in Paris, public transportation in Spain - so I can't figure out why they would be interested in the Gray Line. I'm not buying a ticket so I guess I'll be leaving the met, etc. via subway while the get on the Gray Line. I mean its not like I can't direct them and there's always Hop Stop. I guess my friend doesn't want to feel hot while trying to traverse the subway or something.
It's probably hotter sitting out in the burning sun, than waiting a few minutes for an air conditioned train.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,745 times
Default Skip the NYC Gray Line tour

Save your money and skip the NYC Gray Line tour. It was terrible! We have always used the subway or taxis in NYC, but we visited with our children in late May and thought the kids would enjoy the tour. The buses were not AC, or atleast they would not turn it on. Most of the time, the top deck was full and you had to sit downstairs. Seriously, people were fainting from the heat downstairs. It was horrible. You practically had to hop of at every stop just to cool down. We called the bus the "Red Inferno". We had upgraded to a 72-hour pass before riding the bus but after the first day, we either walked, used the subway or took a taxi. Also, the guides were annoying and much like a recording. They all said the exact same things and constantly asked for tips. Commute times were very long and often required that you stand and ride until enough people got off several stops later. Needless to say that many unhappy, hot and grumpy people on board a bus standing shoulder to shoulder makes for a less than happy experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City