Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 AM

210 posts, read 972,144 times

Advertisements

new york is not that hot in the summer compared to other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I'd be surprised if you get a lot of answers, particularly from native-born New Yorkers (myself included). For the most part, we don't have to justify our city to anyone else. We're already the media and financial capital of the country and, if it wasn't for the fact that Thomas Jefferson didn't like New York, we would have remained the governmental capital, too (look it up--NYC was the capital from 1785-90; President Washington was inaugurated here, and the first "White House" was on Cherry Street in lower Manhattan!)

Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 PM

210 posts, read 972,144 times
the cost of living speaks for itself-everybody wants to be here, thats why it is so expensive

Old 07-26-2008, 03:15 AM

72 posts, read 262,660 times
1. Very noisy - a lot of drivers are impatient a$$holes who keep honking, knowing fully well they won't go faster anyway.

2. Summers are insanely muggy and uncomfortable. You can feel the grid is about to explode with all the AC's turned on. But when temperatures go down in mid-fall, it's the best time of year. Winters are actually getting milder, and the last two were just cold rain, and nothing close to a major snow storm. We used to have one or two a year as the norm.

3. Too expensive for young people, who want to enjoy it most but not at the point in their careers. With the exception of Wall Street players who are a huge part of the Manhattan market. The financial folks drive the prices up, but they also shape the city the way it is. If you want to live here, learn the word "budget".

4. The city is so massive it takes half a day to get out. So you need to spend a few hours in traffic before you start leaving all the fuss behind.

5. Sorry, that's it.

I could do a list of pros, but it would be 50, not 5.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:12 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times
Default Justify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'd be surprised if you get a lot of answers, particularly from native-born New Yorkers (myself included). For the most part, we don't have to justify our city to anyone else. We're already the media and financial capital of the country and, if it wasn't for the fact that Thomas Jefferson didn't like New York, we would have remained the governmental capital, too (look it up--NYC was the capital from 1785-90; President Washington was inaugurated here, and the first "White House" was on Cherry Street in lower Manhattan!)
Fred, the topic was not about justifying NYC...NOT SURE WHY YOU WOULD EVEN BRING THAT UP. Please stick to the blog topic. It was supposed to be fun. If you think NYC is the best city in the world, that's great for you...not the topic though.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Oh my god...not on topic. Please people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
new york is not that hot in the summer compared to other places.
NYC is HUMID as hell..but..YOU'RE OFF TOPIC. Please stick to the topic. Other people are posting what THEY THINK are the top 5 and low 5 of NYC. It's supposed to be a fun blog- we don't need to debate everything that everyone writes in here. It's just something interesting to read.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Thank you for all of your feedback guys. But please, let's stick to the topic. I don't feel it is necessary to debate everyone on what they write in their blog. It's just a few simple opinions! Thanks

Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Thank you for all of your feedback guys. But please, let's stick to the topic. I don't feel it is necessary to debate everyone on what they write in their blog. It's just a few simple opinions! Thanks
Lol dont you think you're over doing it a little

Old 07-27-2008, 12:27 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

ya alot of people answering are not native new yorkers. The last thing a real new yorker would say is the freaking humidity, thats not even a problem. Ny is awesome the ONLY SINGLE THING that would hold somebody back is the Cost of living. Thats it. Not crime or anything else. If u could afford this place than come here on the first train smoking. Real talk

Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 AM

72 posts, read 262,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

ya alot of people answering are not native new yorkers. The last thing a real new yorker would say is the freaking humidity, thats not even a problem. Ny is awesome the ONLY SINGLE THING that would hold somebody back is the Cost of living. Thats it. Not crime or anything else. If u could afford this place than come here on the first train smoking. Real talk
Oh boy, where do I start.

First of, lets define a "native" new yorker, shall we?

I've been doing commute in 90-degree heat for years, and I don't dig it. Neither do many other people that I know. In some places you just hop in your car and off you go. I got to hoof it to the train station for 20 minutes, wait on a 110-degree platform, and hope that the train car I am hopping into has AC in it. There nothing cool about it. Literally. Tolerance to humidity does not define a native new yorker. I could certainly not develop one in 14 years here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City