Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times

Advertisements

If I was the landlord and you requested 100K for leaving my building..
I would evict you,, how??? Easy,, if he has a brother, son, or a family member he can evict you with 90 days notice... if he proves that the apartment will be use for the family member then after a year,, i sell the apartment...
"[SIZE=1]The rent regulation laws allow the landlord of a rent stabilized building to take over one or more apartments for family use. However, he/she must give you 90 to 150 days notice before your existing lease expires that it will not be renewed.[/SIZE]"
\
And reading more information about this,,
A lot people are breaking the law.. this law is only for people making less then 175k, if you make more and still want to apartment, then the landlord can rent the apartment at regular rate...

Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 PM

30 posts, read 81,854 times
No, not so easy. There is a process to do this. The rent stabilized tenant can participate in this process. This is a tactic that landlords are increasingly resorting to to get stabilized tenants out, but it's not as easy for them as they would like the tenant to think, especially now that the decision makers in the process are becoming increasingly aware that landlords are abusing it.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
If I was the landlord and you requested 100K for leaving my building..
I would evict you,, how??? Easy,, if he has a brother, son, or a family member he can evict you with 90 days notice... if he proves that the apartment will be use for the family member then after a year,, i sell the apartment...
"[SIZE=1]The rent regulation laws allow the landlord of a rent stabilized building to take over one or more apartments for family use. However, he/she must give you 90 to 150 days notice before your existing lease expires that it will not be renewed.[/SIZE]"
\
And reading more information about this,,
A lot people are breaking the law.. this law is only for people making less then 175k, if you make more and still want to apartment, then the landlord can rent the apartment at regular rate...
Nope, the building went co-op and must be owned by a corporation. A corporation can't kick someone out for personal use because there is no "person" in a corporation.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiptries View Post
No, not so easy. There is a process to do this. The rent stabilized tenant can participate in this process. This is a tactic that landlords are increasingly resorting to to get stabilized tenants out, but it's not as easy for them as they would like the tenant to think, especially now that the decision makers in the process are becoming increasingly aware that landlords are abusing it.
But still they win,,, I have read a few post about it in landlords forums,,, they only have to show his brother will live in it.. or some family member.. And they can even take more then one in a building...

Old 07-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Nope, the building went co-op and must be owned by a corporation. A corporation can't kick someone out for personal use because there is no "person" in a corporation.
No,, not the whole building,, the apartment is still own by the owner(original owner) when he sell the apartment it becomes co-op... we can take it if he wants to live in it,,, or for family members

Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM

30 posts, read 81,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
But still they win,,, I have read a few post about it in landlords forums,,, they only have to show his brother will live in it.. or some family member.. And they can even take more then one in a building...

Again, I have to say, the tenant is given the opportunity to participate in the process. The tenant can appeal. These wheels move slowly.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiptries View Post
Again, I have to say, the tenant is given the opportunity to participate in the process. The tenant can appeal. These wheels move slowly.
Yes the tenant can appeal.. but trust me,,, it will not take years...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
This person could have paid 80K for an apartment that is now worth 750K. That's nothing. There are instances where people could have paid 150K for an apartment that is now worth $2,000,000. Think of that nice Classic 6 on the Upper West Side.
What was the OP's salary back then?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
You people who are getting all worked up about the tenant wanting money to move seem to have missed a few details. When the bldg went Non-Evict Co-op, the OP was given a choice: buy or continue renting under the Stabilization laws. OP chose to continue renting, a perfectly valid choice (and just because it's stabilized doesn't mean OP got a free ride - the landlord gets tax breaks and other benefits from the city for keeping stabilized apartments!).

You guys keep saying the OP is trying to extort the landlord because he or she wants to break lease and move. C'mon, did you even read the first post?? OP said the landlord's been harassing him/her, wants this tenant to leave, and said, "Give me a number and I'll buy you out." A landlord is obligated to renew a rent-stabilized lease and it is not uncommon nor illegal for landlords to pay Rent Stabilized tenants to leave before the lease is up. They often pay for moving expenses, too. Remember, this tenant would probably stay if he or she wasn't being harassed. This situation was initiated by the OP's landlord, not the OP.

To the OP, I think your calculations should try to take into consideration how much money the landlord will make with you gone. Ask for a nice high number like $500,000 and see what happens. Negotiate down if refused.

Last edited by citychik; 07-30-2008 at 12:44 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 10:04 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
You people who are getting all worked up about the tenant wanting money to move seem to have missed a few details. When the bldg went Non-Evict Co-op, the OP was given a choice: buy or continue renting under the Stabilization laws. OP chose to continue renting, a perfectly valid choice (and just because it's stabilized doesn't mean OP got a free ride - the landlord gets tax breaks and other benefits from the city for keeping stabilized apartments!).

You guys keep saying the OP is trying to extort the landlord because he or she wants to break lease and move. C'mon, did you even read the first post?? OP said the landlord's been harassing him/her, wants this tenant to leave, and said, "Give me a number and I'll buy you out." A landlord is obligated to renew a rent-stabilized lease and it is not uncommon nor illegal for landlords to pay Rent Stabilized tenants to leave before the lease is up. They often pay for moving expenses, too. Remember, this tenant would probably stay if he or she wasn't being harassed. This situation was initiated by the OP's landlord, not the OP.

To the OP, I think your calculations should try to take into consideration how much money the landlord will make with you gone. Ask for a nice high number like $500,000 and see what happens. Negotiate down if refused.
I'm all for rent stabilization, but I think what angers many people is that the OP is expecting to be able to earn enough money to buy a new house and start a new life by having done nothing to earn this windfall. Having chanced into an apt in a building that went co-op is not winning the lottery.

This sort of behavior simply makes it harder for everyone else in the system. My landlord applies for bogus capital improvement increases to de-regulate my building to avoid people like the OP and it raises my rent - extrapolate this for the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City