Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:43 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
I'm a Cohort 12 fellow and I noticed this too on the fellow boards. I think a lot of it is the budget cuts. I know my school needs to hire people, but we are unable to because of the budget cut. I have no idea what is going to happen with those classes?!?! CRAZY!

Personally, the Fellows should be taking this into consideration. They hired the mid years already. Maybe they need to hire less people, and before the mid years get jobs, they should make sure everyone they hired for June '08 gets a job, yaknow?
Hey -- Cohort 12 here, too !!!

FWIW, some of the mid-year Fellows are reporting that they're being asked to postpone entry into the program until next June, probably in response to the difficulties the current Fellows are experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Hey -- Cohort 12 here, too !!!

FWIW, some of the mid-year Fellows are reporting that they're being asked to postpone entry into the program until next June, probably in response to the difficulties the current Fellows are experiencing.
Awesome!! I'm glad you are sticking around.

That's good to hear. I just remember there was some girl in our Cohort who was kicked out in Dec. because she couldn't find a placement, (I think it was more than 1 person). I felt so bad that mid years were looking for jobs and she got kicked out..

Old 08-21-2008, 09:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Awesome!! I'm glad you are sticking around.
Hmmmmm ..... well ..... I didn't say THAT .....

Quote:
That's good to hear. I just remember there was some girl in our Cohort who was kicked out in Dec. because she couldn't find a placement, (I think it was more than 1 person). I felt so bad that mid years were looking for jobs and she got kicked out..
I remember that as well. It wasn't pretty.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Hmmmmm ..... well ..... I didn't say THAT .....

Oh, well I just figured since you did your 2 years, you don't have to stay anymore, and you're teaching this upcoming year right? Either way, good luck this year. I hope you have a good one.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
Administrators in NYC schools will never tell you to teach for the test, however be prepared to be held personally responsible for students who slip between levels. NYC Board of Education is a system in disrepair- by that I mean the interest of the student is the second to last concern, while your interests are their absolute last.

Poor student performance, is a measure of student test scores (and a reflection of the teacher, the administration and the school as a whole). If students achieve poorly, the school comes under scrutiny (which typically draws attention to a whole different can of worms). Moreover, poorly achieving schools do not attract "good" students, but rather students with discipline problems. Now, in addition to academic problems you now have more behavioral problems, and consequently more scrutiny of BoE. As the temperature rises top administrators see their careers and reputations flash before their eyes. Thus, the combination ignites a frenzied downward spiral that is Darwinian (and perhaps Hobbsian) in nature as everyone fights to CTA.

The moral of the story is that no one will ever explicitly tell you to teach for the test, but if you dont you better guarantee not to upset the harmonious facade that the system in place is working. Moreover, anticipate that many NYC public school students have not been taught how to "think" through problems. Many of your "on grade level students" will be on a grade level- just not one that is congruent with their current grade level. Therefore, be humble and flexible. If students arent "getting it," dont be afraid to fall back on the ol' teach for the test strategy. Good Luck! PS finding a job in NYC can be both easy and difficult, sparse and plentiful. Just make sure you have access to ample reliable transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City