Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
Women do not blow it out of proportion, nor is it any kind of compliment. It is a way of reminding women how vulnerable they are. It's frankly disgusting, and it's unbelievable that so many here are minimizing how infuriating it is.
Do not take this as an endorsement of male pig behavior, but as a lady I see far to many others of my gender playing the vulnerable/victim role. Last ******* that grabbed my ass promptly had his wrist broken. If you feel scared being physically weaker than men, DO something about it and pick up martial arts. Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do and Aikido are great for peeps who smaller/weaker and want to learn how to kick a larger person's ass with a vengeance. Physics is your friend.

I'd also pack heat, but our second amendment isn't exactly recognized here unless you laywer up and grease some palms.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Do not take this as an endorsement of male pig behavior, but as a lady I see far to many others of my gender playing the vulnerable/victim role. Last ******* that grabbed my ass promptly had his wrist broken. If you feel scared being physically weaker than men, DO something about it and pick up martial arts. Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do and Aikido are great for peeps who smaller/weaker and want to learn how to kick a larger person's ass with a vengeance. Physics is your friend.

I'd also pack heat, but our second amendment isn't exactly recognized here unless you laywer up and grease some palms.
I agree. This type of behavior is not something new so i am not sure why people are suprised by it. I am also not sure why people still allow the words and comments of strangers to affect them in an emotional way. As far as being afraid of being gropped/attacked, I would suggest a martial arts, learning krag mava or carrying a knife. Stop playing the role of the weaker sex. A woman can kill a man if she wanted to.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
I agree. This type of behavior is not something new so i am not sure why people are suprised by it. I am also not sure why people still allow the words and comments of strangers to affect them in an emotional way. As far as being afraid of being gropped/attacked, I would suggest a martial arts, learning krag mava or carrying a knife. Stop playing the role of the weaker sex. A woman can kill a man if she wanted to.
pfffff crazy ignorant comments, whats your point you last 2?? get a knife so you can stab the next dumb *** who may grab your ass in the subway??? come on girl, if you wanna be able to preserve yourself from these uncivilized behaviors, do something to improve your knuckle game but stab or shoot someone???come on let's be serious for a second...

Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
pfffff crazy ignorant comments, whats your point you last 2?? get a knife so you can stab the next dumb *** who may grab your ass in the subway??? come on girl, if you wanna be able to preserve yourself from these uncivilized behaviors, do something to improve your knuckle game but stab or shoot someone???come on let's be serious for a second...
Say what you want, the douchebag who's wrist I snapped ain't groping anyone again anytime soon. Self defense is perfectly civilized if you ask me.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,943 times
Quote:
I am not a chick. A knife is a good deterrent for an attacker. I never said anything about shooting someone. I don't believe going toe to toe with a man in a boxing match is going to turn out good.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
s06

105 posts, read 256,410 times
I attended a free, introductory, self-defense course last year. The instructor said that he had a black belt, but hadn't ever experienced a situation where he'd needed to defend himself- The most he'd witnessed was one man arguing loudly with another man, and had shouted loudly for the man to stop.

One of the moves that he said that we could do was yank our arm out of an attacker's grip. He even role-played the scene with me, which, of course, worked: I was able to yank my arm out of his grip, and he said, "Good!"

This is complete rubbish in a real-life situation. The family members who'd attacked me as a child would grab my arms and wouldn't let go, no matter what I tried to do- I couldn't escape, and hitting or kicking them back only incensed them further, and they'd continue to hit me or hold my arms. A thin girl isn't a match for taller, overweight adults who have thicker, stronger arms.

So, just because an instructor has been trained in karate or judo, doesn't mean that their advice will work in the real world and that they know what they're talking about.

Last edited by s06; 10-19-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s06 View Post
I attended a free, introductory, self-defense course last year. The instructor said that he had a black belt, but hadn't ever experienced a situation where he'd needed to defend himself- The most he'd witnessed was one man arguing loudly with another man, and had shouted loudly for the man to stop.

One of the moves that he said that we could do was yank our arm out of an attacker's grip. He even role-played the scene with me, which, of course, worked: I was able to yank my arm out of his grip, and he said, "Good!"

This is complete rubbish in a real-life situation. The family members who'd attacked me as a child would grab my arms and wouldn't let go, no matter what I tried to do- I couldn't escape, and hitting or kicking them back only incensed them further, and they'd continue to hit me or hold my arms. A thin girl isn't a match for taller, overweight adults who have thicker, stronger arms.

So, just because an instructor has been trained in karate or judo, doesn't mean that their advice will work in the real world and that they know what they're talking about.
You have to pick the right martial arts discipline and find the right instructor. I've taken down guys bigger than me, and that was before I learned anything about martial arts.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM

573 posts, read 1,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
You have to pick the right martial arts discipline and find the right instructor. I've taken down guys bigger than me, and that was before I learned anything about martial arts.
basically a quick and heavy punch in the chest and its over...

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
basically a quick and heavy punch in the chest and its over...
Personally I prefer punching in the throat- more stopping power.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM

365 posts, read 502,025 times
I agree...this is NYC. EVERY single day, I hear the "cat calls", I get the stares, the stops, the psssst....I mean...its all in a day's work. However, its not that serious to me. Guys are guys and I agree that sometimes they tend to go overboard, however, the person who started this thread was more concerned about explaining her physical appearance IMO more so than the threat of the men she encountered. For example, it is a criminal offense to grope a female. Now she just so happens to throw in there that she experienced this. Now forgive me if i'm wrong, but I think the thread should have been more geared towards that as opposed to I look like this and I have this. Once again, this is IMO. The reason I say this is because some women like to....I don't know the word but....you know how someone can try to brag with trying to play it off like it doesn't matter to them but you know for a fact that they live for that stuff. Case in point, another model I was close with and even did a shoot with a couple times, she was SO conceited, however, she wanted to appear as humble as possible. We would go out and she would answer to EVERY single man who said something or turn her head in the direction of every sound called out to her. She would continuously say, "Oh my God! Its so annoying!". However, after a while, everyone kind of knew her and didn't really react the same as they did, and she actually made a comment along the lines of, "These guys must be blind!". Bottom line, this is NYC. Ugly, pretty, one leg, no neck...your bound to get attention from someone. BUT, does that mean you have to accept it, or pay attention to it.....HECK NO! I hear things that can be put on paper-view after hours and just laugh. If a female feels that threatened, like you guys mentioned, take up a self defense course. Heck, move if you have to. But I just really personally can't see myself THAT bothered by a homone-fulled stranger who calls out to me. Get an Ipod perhaps? That's my SAVIOR! Even when the battery is dead, I keep the headphones on and that works everytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City