Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:41 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred314x View Post
as to the, shall we say, unevenness of public transportation in staten island, staten islanders haven't helped. There was a proposal to extend the #1 line from south ferry to staten island, effectively replacing the sirt with through service from tottenville all the way up to 242 st. In the bronx. Residents of the borough voted this down by a big majority. Apparently, connecting si to the rest of the city by subway was seen as a disadvantage. So the connecting tunnel plan was shelved.
bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As to the, shall we say, unevenness of public transportation in Staten Island, Staten Islanders haven't helped. There was a proposal to extend the #1 line from South Ferry to Staten Island, effectively replacing the SIRT with through service from Tottenville all the way up to 242 St. in The Bronx. Residents of the borough voted this down by a big majority. Apparently, connecting SI to the rest of the city by subway was seen as a disadvantage. So the connecting tunnel plan was shelved.

I don't understand why they would vote against more transportation options.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I don't understand why they would vote against more transportation options.
Well, let's just say it had to do with a perception of the subways...who's riding them, and who would therefore have easier access to Staten Island. So help me, that's the reason it was voted down. (Those same people have just as easy access via the ferry, or the S74 bus from Brooklyn...but it's that horrifying word, "subway.")

The way I look at it is, they got what they wanted. Now, nobody on Staten Island should be griping about transit.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
^^^ What Fred said (except for the "griping about transit" part).

I would be interested to know, however, when these referendums took place. My guess would be 80s or early 90s, based on the outcome. While that perception of the subways did exist in Staten Island for a time, it has largely dissipated in the last 10-15 years as a) the subways have become safer and cleaner, and b) Staten Island has grown in population and become more diverse. For a long time there was this perception on Staten Island - a totally ridiculous perception, seeing as the borough has scarcely more than 5% of the city's population and no major businesses - that "the rest of the city is on welfare and we are subsidizing those bums." It was, yes, tinged with racism. It was kind of like the way people in states with small populations would knock the big cities that are, if anything, subsidizing them. I'm a native Staten Islander, and I don't agree with it one bit.

However, that's changed - the Island is moving closer to the city, demographically and culturally, whether people want to admit or not (and believe me, some, particularly the Staten Island Advance, do not). The perceptions of the subway have changed and Staten Island, while still insular, is less so than it was even 15 years ago. I have many qualms with Staten Island's leadership, however, they have made enhancing public transit a priority and there have been small successes. It should be an even bigger priority, of course, and I think someday it will be, even if out of necessity. My guess is that if a referendum to extend subway service to Staten Island is held today, it passes.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
^^^ What Fred said (except for the "griping about transit" part).

I would be interested to know, however, when these referendums took place. My guess would be 80s or early 90s, based on the outcome. While that perception of the subways did exist in Staten Island for a time, it has largely dissipated in the last 10-15 years as a) the subways have become safer and cleaner, and b) Staten Island has grown in population and become more diverse. For a long time there was this perception on Staten Island - a totally ridiculous perception, seeing as the borough has scarcely more than 5% of the city's population and no major businesses - that "the rest of the city is on welfare and we are subsidizing those bums." It was, yes, tinged with racism. It was kind of like the way people in states with small populations would knock the big cities that are, if anything, subsidizing them. I'm a native Staten Islander, and I don't agree with it one bit.

However, that's changed - the Island is moving closer to the city, demographically and culturally, whether people want to admit or not (and believe me, some, particularly the Staten Island Advance, do not). The perceptions of the subway have changed and Staten Island, while still insular, is less so than it was even 15 years ago. I have many qualms with Staten Island's leadership, however, they have made enhancing public transit a priority and there have been small successes. It should be an even bigger priority, of course, and I think someday it will be, even if out of necessity. My guess is that if a referendum to extend subway service to Staten Island is held today, it passes.

I bet it would pass now with gas the way it is.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Is Staten Island a good place to look at for places to live in NYC area for a family from out of town? The only negatives I've received on here was not as good transportation and not many places to rent(which is my biggest concern as I plan to rent).

Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
If you were going to extend the R train to Staten Island you would have to put sleeper cars on it. It would take at least a whole day to get to midtown.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Dorian, yes, that referendum took place at the end of the 1980s. I should think it would pass now...but I wouldn't want to guess what building a cross-harbor tunnel would cost these days!

Irish Eyes, why do you say this? If you ran the R line over the Verrazano, it would only have to make a connection with the SIRT--Grasmere being the closest station on the SI side of the bridge. That might add a grand total of 10 or 15 minutes to the ride from Grasmere to midtown Manhattan. And I suspect most people taking the train would transfer to the N or D express at 59 or 36 Street in Brooklyn.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:42 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is Staten Island a good place to look at for places to live in NYC area for a family from out of town? The only negatives I've received on here was not as good transportation and not many places to rent(which is my biggest concern as I plan to rent).
I'd say so. The two biggest concerns (outside the lack of rentals) are these:

1) You'll probably need a car, especially with a family. So make sure you can afford that.
2) Research your commute before you commit to anything if you will be working in Manhattan (as many Staten Islanders do). Commuting from SI, in particular the South Shore, can be hellish. Indeed, I'd advise sticking with the North Shore if you can.

As I said previously in this thread, it was a good place to grow up, all in all. For a family, it's definitely worth checking out.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I'd say so. The two biggest concerns (outside the lack of rentals) are these:

1) You'll probably need a car, especially with a family. So make sure you can afford that.
2) Research your commute before you commit to anything if you will be working in Manhattan (as many Staten Islanders do). Commuting from SI, in particular the South Shore, can be hellish. Indeed, I'd advise sticking with the North Shore if you can.

As I said previously in this thread, it was a good place to grow up, all in all. For a family, it's definitely worth checking out.
I will probably be bringing my car with me, especially for when I drive back to Pittsburgh from time to time to visit the rest of my family. I know I have to account for insurance and gas, but would I have to pay for a parking space in SI like in some of the other boroughs? How easy is it to travel from SI to Newark? Are there any trains that go toward NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City