Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,652 times

Advertisements

Is the North Bronx as nice as the good parts of Brooklyn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most of the schools in the more stable Bronx communities [like Morris Park or Riverdale] are actually quite decent, judging from insiderschools.org. It's only High School thats a issue in the Bronx.

So the elementary schools are okay? My kids are very young so I'm not really worried about high school yet.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 AM

43 posts, read 214,648 times
Default Elmhurst

Sorry analyticalkeys and for clarification - I wasn't referring to the schools in those areas, just to the areas in general - I cannot recommend them and wouldn't want kids walk around there by themselves if there was a choice to be somewhere else, regarding Elmhurst I was particularly referring to the area near Elmhurst Hospital. I simply know first hand that there is more violent crime in the area than in other parts of NYC, same goes for central Brooklyn, actually that one would be much much worse. There are parts of southern Brooklyn which are quite nice in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier.

By the way, it would be really important to know where you'll work as commuting from different areas can be a big hassle despite the usually great public transportation system in NYC. Going from southern Brooklyn to Manhattan or vice versa is especially bad.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee11 View Post
Sorry analyticalkeys and for clarification - I wasn't referring to the schools in those areas, just to the areas in general - I cannot recommend them and wouldn't want kids walk around there by themselves if there was a choice to be somewhere else, regarding Elmhurst I was particularly referring to the area near Elmhurst Hospital. I simply know first hand that there is more violent crime in the area than in other parts of NYC, same goes for central Brooklyn, actually that one would be much much worse. There are parts of southern Brooklyn which are quite nice in addition to the ones I mentioned earlier.

By the way, it would be really important to know where you'll work as commuting from different areas can be a big hassle despite the usually great public transportation system in NYC. Going from southern Brooklyn to Manhattan or vice versa is especially bad.

How long does that usually take?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is the North Bronx as nice as the good parts of Brooklyn?
northeast, no. northwest (riverdale) is the most expensive neighborhood in the bronx.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,253 times
^^^ there's also Throggs Neck, though most would agree it's no Riverdale. It almost feels like a continuation of Bayside and Whitestone but on the other side of the river.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
^^^ there's also Throggs Neck, though most would agree it's no Riverdale. It almost feels like a continuation of Bayside and Whitestone but on the other side of the river.
Bayside is nice though right?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Bayside is nice though right?
Yes, it is.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,253 times
Yeah--Queens in general is probably considered the most middle class of the boroughs--very few "hoods" compared to BK and BX and very few totally exclusive areas (there's about four neighborhoods considered strictly upper-class, that's it), though the housing prices have multiplied exponentially in the past decade, so it might be a little harder to afford a place larger than a shack if you're an average Joe. southern Brooklyn is probably more realistic these days for a middle-class family looking to buy.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:03 PM

922 posts, read 3,860,103 times
Yes, Southern Brooklyn is solidly working-class/middle-class and safe, except for the projects near Coney Island.

I'd define the area as everything south of 65th St./King's Highway and west of Flatbush Ave., which includes the neighborhoods of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Manhattan Beach, Gerritsen Beach, and Marine Park.

A 2BR can be rented for less than $1500/mo and you can buy a 1BR Co-op for less than $200K. Bay Ridge is a little more expensive, but has more upscale shopping and dining amenities. Manhattan Beach is more of an upper-middle-class enclave of large houses. The vast majority of Brighton Beach residents are Russian or Ukrainian. English is practically a foreign language there.

The downside is the commute. At least 45 minutes to Midtown if you live close to a subway station. Up to 90 minutes if you don't and have to take a bus to the subway. The commute can be made more palatable by using of the many express buses, which are comfortable motorcoach vehicles with comfy reclining seats. It costs $5 per ride though.

Last edited by UpstaterInBklyn; 07-31-2008 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City