Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:50 PM

52 posts, read 256,332 times

Advertisements

Hey, y'all!

I fulfilled my NYC to move here from So Cal to find a job in publishing. I've a decent portfolio of published work, a couple of good connections and a million resumes sent out, yet still no job! Nay, not even an interview! I've even registered with a few temp agencies, and guess what? No temp work, either! Is it just the summer? Is it the economy? Is it the industry? Is it me? I'm open to constructive criticism, and I've had my resume professionally re-done. Not getting even ONE interview is extremely worrisome! I might have to move back to California and live with my parents if I don't find something soon! Any words of advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM

oops, typo in first line. i meant i fulfilled my nyc dream to move here!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,336,499 times
The city is flooded with people looking to go into publishing. The temp industry is probably slow because the economy is pretty cr@ppy at the moment.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 PM

What would one do in this situation? Keep plugging away until all the saving are gone? Be financially smart, move back home, and try to find a job from there? Either in NY or SoCal? I'm just really confused. Each month I write the rent check, I cringe, knowing that so much more $ is going out than coming in! I'm at a crossroads. Another thing, I don't want to feel like a failure, going home, facing friends and family after tooting my horn about moving to NYC and coming back not having found a job.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,981,454 times
Default tuck tail after four months?

If it was your dream to be here you have committed to facing some adversity. This is not an easy place to live. You either need heart or money preferably both in large supply.

You can not tuck tail and crawl home after four months you will regret it the rest of your life. It is a bit disappointing to read that you are considering that, you may not have what it takes to make it here. You have to toughen your butt up and work with what you can find. NY is supposed to toughen you up not be some pleasure binge. Maybe you are soft inside and not being able to find work is god's way forcing you to take a menial job to make you pay dues and toughen you up. I would take whatever I could find and start meeting as many people as possible to get the ball rolling.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,278,389 times
Have you been exclusively searching in the city? Publishing can take a while to get in the door, and many people focus exclusively on Manhattan-based positions. I might suggest expanding your search to White Plains, Connecticut, Northern New Jersey, and even Long Island. There are numerous employment centers that are within commuting distance of the city; and, while such positions may not be in the heart of the city, you would be bringing in some money until you find something that's more in line with what you want to do.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 PM

Ouch! That last post hurt. I don't really want to move home--I know I'd regret it. I guess I just have to do what I can to make $ until I get a job in my desired field. Do the temp agencies have more work in the fall?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 PM

Yes, I've been exclusively searching the city. I'll start searching the other areas bmwguydc suggested.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 PM

986 posts, read 1,853,510 times
Keep working at it. And I agree with the commuting outside of the city suggestion. It will be an easy commute (because most people commute INTO the city, not out). Try to get some interviews in Connecticut. I know Thomson Reuters is in Stamford, CT. It's only a 45 min commute from Grand Central and the offices are right across the street from the train station.

You don't have to do it forever... Just to perhaps get you more connections and enhance your resume more. Best of luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 AM

72 posts, read 261,991 times
Sit down and objectively review your resume. If you are not getting interviews, then it means your resume is not grabbing anyone's attention. That may be your problem.

Especially since it's publishing, your resume has to be 150% perfect. So I suggest you sit down and revisit it. Imagine you are the employer, and see what you DON'T like about your resume. Read up on resume-writing literature. Sell yourself better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City