Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 18,853 times

Advertisements

Wow--thanks everyone! Rudbeckia, that's so good to know about the 2/3 at 110. That would most likely be the train we'll use. Feels ok the few times we've tried it, but it's good to have another POV. Honestly, we haven't been over to Lenox too much yet. Mostly explored 7th and 8th up there. And of course the park is excellent. We're really excited about that (we had good access from our block in the UWS 80s (street, not year), so I know we'll keep using the park all the time.

I keep wavering as to whether we made the right decision, but I feel generally good about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
I am a long time Harlem resident I frequently ride the C train which stops at 110th & CPW and walk up the hill.

You will be fine over there, 111th St is a nice block. There are a lot of White people on that block. Lots of restaurants and there is good organic food store on 8th Ave bet
W. 111th and W.112th.

Just like UWS you have to look out for certain things, but it is pretty much the same stuff to look out for. The same as the UWS the criminals come in all racial and ethnic groups in this area.

This area been gentrified for a long time now. It was the first part of Harlem to gentrify, because it is right on the border of the UWS, this happened more than 15 years ago now, so the residents are used to it.

IMO some posters on this board make to much of big deal about gentrification and one group pushing another group out. Harlem has always been a place that was diverse economically. What long time residents resent is the fact that a lot of them are now middle class and there are few ownership opportunities for them. The new construction is mainly for the wealthy. The new construction first started out for low income families, the middle class did not qualify for this. The middle class was almost completely forgotten about. After the construction was mostly completed for the low income, then new construction started for the wealthy. Most Harlemites really love Harlem and have no desire to leave.

As you read many post on different threads on this forum you will see lots of post about Black people all leaving the city, and that sort of thing. Clearly one can get the impression that most people don't want to live near Black people. This is why Harlem has remained diverse economically, why some wealthy Blacks continue to live in Harlem and why more come to Harlem. When you walk through West Harlem from 110th to 155th you will see that Harlem is still mostly Black with large Latin sections. You will see others from other racial groups as well and everyone is living together just fine.

Last edited by DAS; 07-31-2008 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 18,853 times
Thanks, DAS. Nice to have some perspective. That was the problem I kept having as I researched the area--I research any area I move to, but this time the research came with such a range of differing opinions. No problems living with any particular race or anything. Mostly just concerned about sticking out as a "gentrifier" or something. And about being close to some low-income housing, which I know doesn't equal crime, but does possibly equal some uncomfortable situations (again, mostly because of the "gentrifier" perception).

Anyhow, I'm sure it will be fine. I'll miss some of the UWS local haunts, but they're still close enough I guess.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
DAS

You won't miss them you can still frequent them daily if you like, and get some exercise. I have a relative that live in the '80's I walk down there all time and we meet up or we meet up uptown. You will find new places to go to uptown to double your pleasure.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonyc View Post
SeventhFloor--I wonder if your friend lives in the same building as the one we're looking at?
i dont remember the address but its on lenox ave between 111 and 112, on the left hand side of the street if you're facing uptown. all i remember was that the elevator door was green.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2008, 12:16 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,246 times
Page3000.You are a very nice looking girl. But,you dont look very white,you look very Hispanic. Which is a good,In my opinion.LOL

Last edited by DjRey; 07-31-2008 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
lol...that's pretty funny "vanilla frosties" I will now call myself and other whiteys, vanilla frosties
I don't know if you know the origins of this term and you are just trying to be funny, or you just really don't know.

Please don't go around using this term, in the past this term was used to describe a Black person passing as White. The type that lived in Harlem but could get higher wages downtown because people just assumed they were White. Or could live in whiter areas of the city because of the same thing. Most didn't just go around saying they were White but used the fact that others thought they were to their advantage.

If you go around using this term, Black people that know the term, will feel insulted.

Also let me point out that Sugar Hill was always up and doesn't need to come up. There are also plenty of White residents in Sugar Hill. Some own brownstones and have more recently moved into the new luxury buildings. It is still however mostly Black. This area has been well preserved for the past 80 years by its Black residents.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
I had no idea it was offensive, I removed the post.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
DAS

^ ok

Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
I wouldn't call it a "constant stress", and many people are welcoming. I am not saying there is not a sort of "tension" sometimes, but white people living in Harlem are not constantly "living in fear" or if they are, Harlem is not the problem, their perception of Harlem is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City