Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 17,031 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of renting an apartment on Grand Street near the bridge, and I'd love to hear from anyone who lives in or near the area. I work from home, but my husband has to commute to Rego Park in Queens. He doesn't mind a bit of a walk to the subway, but it'll be a walk and then a fairly long ride, and I worry it'll burn him out after awhile.

Aside from the commute, does anyone have any other thoughts about the neighborhood? Amenities? Gyms? The (relatively nearby) bar and restaurant scene? Safety? (I'm no rube--I grew up in Philly--but I would like to feel comfortable walking home from one of the aforementioned bars/restaurants late at night)...

Our other apartment options are on the Upper East Side, so it's sort of an apples/oranges comparison.

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,261,881 times
Is this in the Hillman co-ops? Nice big rooms there.

It's not so bad over there but a little desolate. There was a 24-hour store at Grand and Madison but last I saw it's closed. Maybe I remember another one closer to E Bwy. You'd have to walk past Pitt St to really even start to get into a bar scene. There are some spots on Delancey and when you get to Clinton or Ludlow/Orchard it's a pretty big nightlife scene. It would take 10-15 mins to get home. For the most part Grand St. is safe. I always thought so, but I'm tall and a guy. I have a friend in the Baruch houses north of the Bridge and there are other projects along the river south of Grand, but those projects are tame. Nobody has ever given me any trouble walking on Grand in that area no matter what time.

It's a walk to the train but you could also take the M14A, which is not so slow going from the subway to your location. Also, instead of the G/R to the E to the F from Rego Park, you could take the G to Broadway in Williamsburg, walk on the street a block to the J/M/Z at Hewes, and be only 2 stops from Essex/Delancey. This route, I think, is more direct on the map. Though the E is express in Queens and might preferable, he'd be facing three trains to get the benefit of that.

There is a supermarket on Grand as well, but otherwise not all that much in the way of amenities. A few stores but not all that much until you get deeper into the LES. Don't know about gyms near there but there must be something in the neighborhood, though I'm fairly sure it won't be right next to that intersection.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 17,031 times
Hey, thanks for your response--it's much appreciated. The place is in the Amalgamated Dwellings. It's gorgeous, and amazing value for the money, and if it weren't for the possible commute problems it would be a no-brainer. It really feels like a slice of old New York down there--not a Starbucks in sight.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madamminna View Post
Hey, thanks for your response--it's much appreciated. The place is in the Amalgamated Dwellings. It's gorgeous, and amazing value for the money, and if it weren't for the possible commute problems it would be a no-brainer. It really feels like a slice of old New York down there--not a Starbucks in sight.
Amalgamated is the original Manhattan co-op and the Hillman buildings are on either side. The name is from the Amalgamated Ladies Garment Workers Union, of which Sidney Hillman and Abraham Kazan, for whom I believe that stretch of Delancey is secondarily named, were the leaders. They started in the Bronx and then went to Manhattan, trying to build spacious and affordable housing for working people. The crowd in there is somewhat old, but a lot of younger professionals have moved in, and overall it's very well maintained and a stable place to live.

As a slice of old NY or just off the beaten path, I've always kind of liked the area but for the same reason it's a bit less convenient. I'm not sure the UES is that much better though. If you're looking by 1st or York it's equal walking distance to the train, and it's a bit quicker to the E on the 6 but the 6 is jammed and more stressful in my opinion and the transfer at 51 St is very long.

If you're set on Manhattan, the most convenient for a subway ride to Rego Park would be anything along the E, not too far down, and then change to the local at the last transfer point. Between Grand St and the UES, the questions are: what kind of neighborhood you want (off the beaten path and quieter vs. typical Manhattan range of conveniences at your doorstep); if the incremental increase in commute is manageable; and comparing the actual apartments.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
Grand Street near the bridge...I believe those are the Grand Street co-ops. Beautiful apartments! And if you happen to be facing eastwards, towards the river, some fantastic views.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:37 AM

33,330 posts, read 46,766,348 times
east broadway is one of my favorite streets in manhattan. i believe its the only broadway in manhattan that actually has its own train stop!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 AM

33,330 posts, read 46,766,348 times
holden, you seem to know a lot about the area....what are those 2-3 story brick houses on cherry street across the street from laguardia houses?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City