Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygal26 View Post
How is living in Flushing, Queens for a young female? Is it safe? Is the commute to the city ridicolously long? 25 mins doen't seem that bad or is it?
Flushing is okay, but can be very over crowded. The commute to Manhattan is fairly long, you have to basically take the 7 train throughout it's entire route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 16,726 times
Thanks!! Is it safe for a 20 yr old girl??

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM

239 posts, read 509,304 times
I wouldn't live in Flushing being a 20 year old girl. Not that it's the most dangerous area of Queens, but rather it doesn't have the vibe for a young person if you get what I mean. I'd look into Astoria since that is where a lot of young people tend to be moving to in Queens. Astoria is closer to Manhattan making it a much shorter and easier commute than Flushing.

Just my 2 cents but I'm not a fan of Queens. The diversity is cool and it does have nice areas (like I mentioned Astoria, Forest Hills, parts of Bayside), but I find it more boring than other parts of NYC. It doesn't seem to have the same character as Brooklyn, and of course it can't compare to Manhattan.

But if I were you I wouldn't live in Flushing.
Astoria >>>> Flushing for a 20 year old girl.

Last edited by JCNNY; 01-15-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Forest Park is between Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. Big, big park, lots of biking and hiking trails, softball fields further in. Lots of trees (hence, the forest.)

Kew Gardens around Austin St and Lefferts is a very nice little pocket too--within three blocks you have the Post Office, Kew Gardens Cinema (indie theater), Austin Ale House, LIRR (bagel shop, coffee shop, newsstands, barber shop, internet cafes, day spas near the LIRR station), 2 or 3 Q-10 bus stops (you can take it to JFK), it is a short walk to the subway (E & F lines), a natural food store, Dani's Pizza, 7-11, etc, but it is more suburb-like than city.
we have a rental co-op there for 25 years now and that area is very nice. your just off the beaten path from forest hills to save alot of money and congestion but close enough to all the action to walk on a nice day.

flushing has to many gang and drug issues for my taste.

it was funny, my wife and i were photographing main st in flushing and my wife and i split up . she takes a bunch of shots of these guys posing for her and as she is showing me the photos she goes why are they crunching up their fingers in all the shots. i take a look and they are throwing gang signs. to funny.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygal26 View Post
Thanks!! Is it safe for a 20 yr old girl??
Depends what section of Flushing really. Main Street and North Flushing is decent [not great] but there are housing projects in the area you should stay away from. Definitely much safer areas in Queens.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 16,726 times
Thanks that's definatly good to know and I'll take tjat into account.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 PM

400 posts, read 983,519 times
Would I be wrong in saying that "Im twenty something, would this neighborhood be fun for me" really translates to. Im young and I want to hang out, drink, chat about stuffs with other like minded people and most importantly have premarital sexual adventures with random people(s)?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,879 times
I'm going to be starting at St. John's in the fall and am looking for a place to live. I'm in my mid-20s (female) so I'm not looking to party, but I'd like to be in a place where I can do some things over the weekend or easily travel to Manhattan. I also expect to be busy most of the time, but I'm primarily concerned about safety, convenience, and cost.

Anyway, I was looking into:
Astoria
Forest Hills
Kew Gardens

...but I'm unsure of where to go or if I should even look for a place closer to SJU.

- Should I bring a car or can I rely on the trains/buses?
- Is it unsafe for a single woman to be out (even late at night), using the subway, traveling home, etc. or is it manageable? I anticipate that I'll be at SJU late for school-related activities. I'm worried about my safety since I'll be traveling alone in the evening, perhaps even at night, so I guess that sort of ties in with whether or not I should bring a car vs. using public transportation.
- Although I'd prefer to live alone, would it make more sense to get a roommate?

So what's the best place to live? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:15 PM

29 posts, read 77,557 times
Howard Beach, Middle Village, Forest Hills, Bayside, Long Island City, and Astoria.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 AM

233 posts, read 720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwlz View Post
I'm going to be starting at St. John's in the fall and am looking for a place to live. I'm in my mid-20s (female) so I'm not looking to party, but I'd like to be in a place where I can do some things over the weekend or easily travel to Manhattan. I also expect to be busy most of the time, but I'm primarily concerned about safety, convenience, and cost.

Anyway, I was looking into:
Astoria
Forest Hills
Kew Gardens

So what's the best place to live? Thanks!
I think your list is a good starting point, but I would cross Astoria off the list as I think the commute to school would be a pain. I think you would need to take at least 2 buses or perhaps a subway to another subway to a bus. And the Q46 from Kew Gardens to SJU is REALLY crowded all the time, but the Q46 schedule is generally like every 4 or 5 minutes so you never have to wait long. Although I've seen Kew Gardens bound buses totally bypass the SJU stop because the bus is already full.

You might also consider Bayside or even Fresh Meadows. I was just driving through Fresh Meadows the other day and was thinking the area looked well kept and there were a number of apartment buildings. I think I was on 188th Street. Very tree lined and pleasant. There are a number of express buses in the area that would get you to mid-town in about 40 minutes. You could also take the Q46 or perhaps the Q30/31 from this area.

The area around SJU can get a little sketchy at night, especially south of the university. Over the last year, I think only about 5 or 6 kids have had problems leaving campus. Most of the incidents involved students on cell phones or listening to music and subsequently getting mugged. I think if you're traveling at 2:00 a.m. it's best to be with someone and/or being aware of your surroundings.

I'm very familiar with the area and SJU so DM if you have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City