Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM

491 posts, read 828,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneptune View Post
Parkslope....near Prospectpark...Do you have any idea...about this place...Is it safe...
I missed that
The Park Slope district is loaded with fine restaurants, Deli's, Bistros, Bodega's, junk stores, trees, brownstones it great (aside the tall ugly modern "Bloombecity" condos and office space that went up)
It's like Greenwich Villiage in the 70's even has a subway 10 minutes to midtown Manhatten $2.

What happened was since the loss of the World Trade Center demands for office space in rents lower Manhatten rocketed rents as high as 6X
All the artists, musicians, live music clubs and anybody else who cant afford $8000 a month rent or 6 million$ co-ops moved acroos the river to Park Slope and Williamsburg.
Its one of the best, cleanest and safest places in the City in 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
ah, yes, still cheaper though that car insurance and the 'broken window tax' (I had my car broken into three times in a rather short period of time back when I had one). I knew I was guessing a bit on nyc prices when it came to car rentals.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:42 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneptune View Post
First I would like to Thank you all guys...for ur very nice replies...

KarenBo-I am planning to move to Parkslope....near Prospectpark...Do you have any idea...about this place...Is it safe..

If you can reply..
Please..
Park slope is a great area and reasonably safe although there was a bunch of muggings in the park this year. Not that this would deter me from living in this area or using the park. You just need to be smart and aware.

One great thing about Park Slope is that its very commuter-friendly there are several subway lines in the area. I did have a car when I lived there and there were times when I had to park a couple of blocks away, but I like to visit family in Long Island and Connecticut so it was worth it to me.

Like I said before, if its possible to keep your insurance listed for your current address or at a family member's address for a while, it will give you an opportunity to decide for yourself whether to keep your car. Advice can be great, and its obviously helpful to hear from others about their experiences, but sometimes nothing beats experiencing it for yourself. That way, you can make a truly informed decision that suits your needs and lifestyle. (Unless of course you need to decide before you move for your own reasons)

Good luck and best wishes!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:45 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,128 times
By the way, I'm not suggesting insurance fraud, but from personal experience, there is usually a grace period for changing your permanent address.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Park Slope is great, I lived on President St two blocks from Prospect Park. I guarantee you will sell your car within 3 months of living there.

Owning a car is non-stop aggravation. If you opt to park on the street you can drive around for an hour every night looking for a parking place. Driving anywhere takes forever. Wait till you see what a parking ticket costs! And NYC loves to give out parking tickets.

Lots of subways in the area, and driving into the city is only for masochists.

Prospect Park is fantastic. Trails everywhere, big open fields, a lake that actually has large-mouth bass, a very nice zoo.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,188 times
i am moving to brooklyn myself from florida,,,however i lived in brooklyn before,,i am now moving back with children 3 and 8 yrs and looking for good public schools in the 11216 area codes any suggestions,, i hear the public schools in park slope are really good too...but it is tough getting in if you are not zoned for that schools...i will be moving in june...
thanks,
nattious.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,655 times
Default I have a question

I am moving in the next 60days to Brooklyn NY and am trying to find an affordable 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment.What is the best way to find an apartment without having to pay a fee just to look at it. Or find a broker that is willing to work for you to get you what you want. Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Everyone: PLEASE look at the sticky at the top of the board entitled, "Need info on moving to NYC." Many of your questions are already answered there.

Thank you.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM

149 posts, read 371,729 times
No car, you will not need a car in NYC. Shopping? most New yorkers pick up groceries in their way from work. No too much room to store anyways!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
NYC shopping is more along the lines of picking up a few necessary items on your way back home since you'll be on foot for most of the time. If you really want to do bulk shopping, there are services like Fresh Direct that will bring stuff to your place.

Your feet, the buses, and subway will take care of almost all your daily transportation needs without a problem. Bikes are also very convenient especially if you have a place to put your bike at home and work. Bikes are great in NYC since there are a fair number of bike lanes and the topography is fairly flat. For when I really need a car to haul things or take a trip out of the city, I generally use a zipcar (it's like a timeshare for cars) which can be a lot of fun since there's a decent variety of cars to try. My only gripe is that you have to bring the thing back to its original location (I wish they had a larger fleet and userbase so that they people can leave their cars near their destinations).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: