Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 AM

18 posts, read 63,045 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm searching for an apartment, in the 800-900 range, I'm browsing listings, and I would like to post locations here and see if anybody can offer info as to how the neighbohood is, Today I saw a listing: 83-96 118th st & 84th ave, Kew Gardens, a studio is being offered for $850, it seems like a good deal???

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
If you find a listing like that, you have to check it out in person. Otherwise, take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes when the price is that low, the studio isn't much more than an overgrown closet.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:28 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I just looked at the address in google street view (go to Google Maps then type the address in, click on "street view" and then click on the point on the map where the building is located. It will bring up photos of the intersection - and I have to say, it looks quite nice there!

But I don't know the neighborhood personally.

I think it sounds like a good deal and think you should check it out.
Also as far as I know, $850 is not far off from market rent for a studio apt. in Kew Gardens. - could go a little higher (maybe to $1100) but not much.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,829 times
Kew Gardens is a nice area, not sure what prices are.
You might pull 900for a studio in southern Brooklyn areas too

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM

I see in Google maps it's right next to Forest Park, is this a safe park to jog, bike, etc.??

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
forest park is pretty safe...i mean one should take precaution in any large park late at night, but forest park is one of the safer parks in the city.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 PM

The AD said see super, no phone # was given, it just said to come and see the super, so off I went, the J train takes me to 121 st, from there it was a short walk, the neighborhood is outstanding, very quiet tree lined, lots of houses and buildings, I saw people just sitting on thier porches, I saw a mother on a rocking chair singing to her baby, I thought am I in NYC?? the sidewalks had steps on them?? a lot of luxury buildings around, amazing neighborhood, I get to the building and of course no answer at the super's apartment, I see tenets coming in and out of the building, and I ask them if they know where the super is, to no avail, but they were really nice, all stopped and smiled were freindly, one pointed me to the bulletin board which had the supers phone #, but of course the one day I need to have my phone I forget it at home, I didn't visit the park, but judgingg by sourounding neighborhood it should be a safe place, hopefully the apartment is still available, the AD was placed a week ago, I hope it's a decent size, they used the words spacious studio, which sounds good, I went to see a studio the other day which was described as quaint, starter, and it was the size of a closet, litterly the size of a walk in closet for $825 in Bensohurst.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc View Post
The AD said see super, no phone # was given, it just said to come and see the super, so off I went, the J train takes me to 121 st, from there it was a short walk, the neighborhood is outstanding, very quiet tree lined, lots of houses and buildings, I saw people just sitting on thier porches, I saw a mother on a rocking chair singing to her baby, I thought am I in NYC?? the sidewalks had steps on them?? a lot of luxury buildings around, amazing neighborhood, I get to the building and of course no answer at the super's apartment, I see tenets coming in and out of the building, and I ask them if they know where the super is, to no avail, but they were really nice, all stopped and smiled were freindly, one pointed me to the bulletin board which had the supers phone #, but of course the one day I need to have my phone I forget it at home, I didn't visit the park, but judgingg by sourounding neighborhood it should be a safe place, hopefully the apartment is still available, the AD was placed a week ago, I hope it's a decent size, they used the words spacious studio, which sounds good, I went to see a studio the other day which was described as quaint, starter, and it was the size of a closet, litterly the size of a walk in closet for $825 in Bensohurst.
tony, i was in richmond hill and glendale yesterday evening....going to see a movie with my old lady....that area is about as old school queens as you can get. its a nice area in my opinion.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Your right about the old school part, I've been visiting al ot of neighborhoods, and have seen young people hanging around on corners and they can be loud, this isn't a problem in the day but at night it is, here what I saw was old guys on the corner talking, I know come sun down they'll be getting ready to sleep, nice old school diner right by the subway steps had a bacon cheeseburger, If I get the place this will be my regular spot, I can't say enogh about the area, the Richmond Hill library is just a block away, the park, hopefully the apartment is still available, will post back with an update.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:11 PM

we would all appreciate the update!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: