Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times

Advertisements

New York should NOT follow the same fashion as Chicago. Yes, the Downtown is perfect, beautiful and safe but to what avail? The results of gentrification have led Chicago to have the highest murder rate ever (700+ dead) last year and this year.. 2017 has already 105 dead from guns!, which is a result of tearing down the downtown project years ago. The gangs were relocated to the south side of Chicago and were scattered across the area, causing multiple gun violence outbreaks in addition to high rape, assault and robbery. We are just now seeing the devastating effects of the outskirts Chicago... they call it ChIRAQ for a reason....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One reason have never liked Stuyvesant Town is because it looks just like the projects across the street. *LOL* Indeed driving down the FDR Drive unless you know which is which.....
Developments like STUYTOWN were public private. Moses worked with MetLife, Lefrak, and other private developers to build massive privately owned affordable housing complexes. Clearly they used the same architects and construction forms that NYCHA used ,and honest honestly the buildings aren't much different.

Only Stuytown got sold and Lefrak is now finally being upgraded.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_ View Post
New York should NOT follow the same fashion as Chicago. Yes, the Downtown is perfect, beautiful and safe but to what avail? The results of gentrification have led Chicago to have the highest murder rate ever (700+ dead) last year and this year.. 2017 has already 105 dead from guns!, which is a result of tearing down the downtown project years ago. The gangs were relocated to the south side of Chicago and were scattered across the area, causing multiple gun violence outbreaks in addition to high rape, assault and robbery. We are just now seeing the devastating effects of the outskirts Chicago... they call it ChIRAQ for a reason....
Exactly. If they demolished the projects in prime real estate in Manhattan and relocated those people, whatever place took them in would become a new, horrible ghetto.

The outer boroughs and suburbs would not allow all that poverty to be dumped upon them. Besides, one nice thing about having those projects in Manhattan is people can walk to work or educational opportunities or other things. Dumping them way out would mean that they are less likely to work, and it would increase the negative behaviors.

Lastly people in NYCHA or who otherwise have government subsidies are the ones who do the retail and service sector work in NYC which is low paying, but is necessary to run the city. They'll move them out of the city en masse, and in face the city is building new low income housing, as well as converting budget hotels to low income housing.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,623,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_ View Post
For all the hoopla over Chicago's current issues, it's crime rate is still lower than in the 80s and 90s when Cabrini-Green, Robert Taylor et al were all still around and kicking. Chicago has the opposite problem as NY. Yes it has major gentrification, but all to the north side. The south and west are just continuing to be dumping grounds for Black/Hispanic working and not-working poor with zero hipsters in sight. Generations of people just growing up with nothing but ratchetness surrounding them. This is what NY should absolutley avoid, and why gentrification has been so beneficial. I don't want to see people get pushed out, but just putting poor around more poor is a recipe for trouble.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:32 PM

266 posts, read 277,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified. There's very few homeless people and violent criminals roaming the streets at night.

NYC still has a long way to go, and I wish it the best of luck. The next mayor and the city council should study Chicago's model. After all, there's a reason why Chicago is the favorite to win the 2016 Olympics.
Oh yeah. There's hardly any violent crime in Chicago. LOLOL!

Old 03-08-2017, 03:44 PM

377 posts, read 510,953 times
I do not think New York wants to follow in the footsteps of Chicago. I hope you are just kidding.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:24 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,260,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
It's interesting that Manhattan, a supposedly wealthy and prestigious place, has so many housing projects. I'm not talking about just the ones in harlem and east harlem but the massive housing projects in prime real estate, like the lower east side next to east river, chelsea, lincoln center, and even upper east side. What's even more shocking is that there's luxury condos right next to these projects!

If NYC wants to get to the next level and truly become a great city, it should imitate Chicago's model of urban development, which is the gold standard for all cities. Chicago has destroyed most of the housing projects near prime real estate, such as the infamous cabrini green, which is near gold coast. As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified. There's very few homeless people and violent criminals roaming the streets at night.

NYC still has a long way to go, and I wish it the best of luck. The next mayor and the city council should study Chicago's model. After all, there's a reason why Chicago is the favorite to win the 2016 Olympics.
Despite the corruption in government and gangland crime in some notorious African-American neighborhoods. I agree with you in aspects the city has been successful with.
- the failed high-rise great society experiment failed and the city cleared then out
- the city cleared out the worst of its blight through the 90s. The war zone look all gone. Housing that was returned to prairie again till renewal might come
- the city maintains street-sweepers throughout all neighborhoods with every neighborhood AT LEAST sweeping a couple times a month many more often.
- some areas that are actually its ghetto. Have streets and fronts looking ironically clean. You can see it in street-view 360s° too.

I think the points you mean in your thread are in the above reasons I noted.

As for NYC not planning more projects removed? I'm not sure why? Not a priority or less notorious as Chicago's were?

Chicago's projects were within a mile or so from Lake Michigan shores. Some of the cities most sought after neighborhoods are within the couple miles or so.

Notorious Englewood neighborhood

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7779...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8534...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7713...7i13312!8i6656

Just too darn clean to be a ghetto

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7704...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7738...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7689...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8601...7i13312!8i6656

West Garfield. City even puts ought trash bins to be convenient

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8866...7i13312!8i6656

Just not filthy or close for a ghetto?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8854...7i13312!8i6656

East Garfield

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8827...7i13312!8i6656

North Lawndale lovely old Victorian like greytones even...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8563...7i13312!8i6656

OP I THINK MEANT CHICAGO'S GHETTOS DO LOOK CLEANER THE NYC'S. HECK MANY TIMES CLEANER THEN GOOD NEIGHBORHOODS. Just saying....

OMG just noticed the OP started this thread in 2008 and is NOT A MEMBER NOW. Oh well ....I will leave the post anyway.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,894,047 times
Donald trump will get rid of projects.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,764,349 times
LOL. A thread from 2008.

Yea, Chicago is a great example of how to do things... LOL just LOL

Homicides in Chicago outpacing last year after deadliest day so far in 2017
Breaking News - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM

431 posts, read 662,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
go ahead try to evict them from the projects. they will burn down the whole city down in protest.

Not everyone in the projects in NYC are ghetto and on welfare. The projects in Manhattan are not that bad. Many middle class people still live in them and work hard every day. Also the apartments are really nice and huge. Some buildings have 4 and 5 bedroom apartments. My grandmother's old apartment in Manhattan was in a project and she had 4 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. Our family lived in that apartment for 50 years. My aunt was downsized to a 2 bedroom apartment and it's still a nice building. Many people in the projects are living better than those paying market rate for their apartments. lol...My grandmother (deceased) and aunt were both retired city workers.

Last edited by mesa1974; 04-06-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City