Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you are working full time and don't make enough money to live in NYC then move somewhere else or get a different job.
I think all of us know about the abusers of the system. To say that if a person can't make enough in NY they should move somewhere else or get another job is easier said than done. Some of these people are lower wage employees of State and City Civil Service. These types of jobs are in every state and most of these workers need to live in subsidized housing of some kind, no matter where they live. The other alternative is that they become homeless and cannot work at all.

Quote:
I know a guy who works in the NYC Carpenters Union and lives in the PJ's in Queens. He says he is never moving out cause the rent is so cheap, so instead he chooses to work only part time and go fishing the rest of the time.
This person is more of an exception. Most people if they are capable of making enough money would not live in a pj. There are many people that start out there save their money and move into coops, condos or houses. There are not enough stories out there about these people, but plenty of stories about the abusers.

Quote:
I also know quite a few NYC cops who have to commute over 2 hours every day to get to work because they don't make enough $$ to live in the NYC area with their families.
This is true, this situation is ignored by the city for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
It's interesting that Manhattan, a supposedly wealthy and prestigious place, has so many housing projects. I'm not talking about just the ones in harlem and east harlem but the massive housing projects in prime real estate, like the lower east side next to east river, chelsea, lincoln center, and even upper east side. What's even more shocking is that there's luxury condos right next to these projects!

If NYC wants to get to the next level and truly become a great city, it should imitate Chicago's model of urban development, which is the gold standard for all cities. Chicago has destroyed most of the housing projects near prime real estate, such as the infamous cabrini green, which is near gold coast. As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified. There's very few homeless people and violent criminals roaming the streets at night.

NYC still has a long way to go, and I wish it the best of luck. The next mayor and the city council should study Chicago's model. After all, there's a reason why Chicago is the favorite to win the 2016 Olympics.
Any truly great, cosmopolitan, world-class city includes people on every socio-economic and financial level--dirt poor to mega-rich. Exclusion of one particular group of citizens is not the way to build a truly "world-class" city. A fabricated, fake city, perhaps, but not one that is "world-class."
The best cities in the world, i.e., London, New York, Tokyo, Paris, etc., have a mixed class of people all living and working together.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
This person is more of an exception. Most people if they are capable of making enough money would not live in a pj. There are many people that start out there save their money and move into coops, condos or houses. .
True. I wish I had the opportunity to save money in my earlier years to buy a house. I had to pay full rent instead.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
I really don't get the whole public housing thing. There are people who really need it and people who really abuse it.

If you are working full time and don't make enough money to live in NYC then move somewhere else or get a different job.

If you are not working, stop having babies.

I know a guy who works in the NYC Carpenters Union and lives in the PJ's in Queens. He says he is never moving out cause the rent is so cheap, so instead he chooses to work only part time and go fishing the rest of the time.

I also know quite a few NYC cops who have to commute over 2 hours every day to get to work because they don't make enough $$ to live in the NYC area with their families.

I feel like the whol system needs beter monitoring so people like the carpenter are found out and people who really need it can move in.

MY POINT.. PERFECTLY! That's ALL I'm saying.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:50 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I think someone mentioned Chicago's crime rate vs. NYC's. I was looking through some cities' homocide rates for 2007, and Chicago only had like 30 or 40 less murders than NYC in 2007.
I think NYC had like 490 or so and Chicago had like 450-460..(sorry, can't recall exact numbers, but it's pretty close).
Anyway, for NYC to have 8.3 million residents compared to Chicago's 2.8, well, Chicago's rate is not very good., when comparing to NYC.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:52 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think someone mentioned Chicago's crime rate vs. NYC's. I was looking through some cities' homocide rates for 2007, and Chicago only had like 30 or 40 less murders than NYC in 2007.
I think NYC had like 490 or so and Chicago had like 450-460..(sorry, can't recall exact numbers, but it's pretty close).
Anyway, for NYC to have 8.3 million residents compared to Chicago's 2.8, well, Chicago's rate is not very good., when comparing to NYC.
I was born in Chicago...and I know that..although there are very nice areas...there are worse areas there than NYC and the crime per person is DEFINITELY higher. So this is true.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The thing is that the crime is getting WORSE there.. which is really unfortunate. I imagine these increases are only in the south and west side, and some parts of the north, but the downtown area (which is what most people think of when they hear Chicago) is still just as safe.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
I understand that people are angry about the fact that you can work hard and still not attain the American dream. However getting angry with people that are worse off than you are will not change anything. As long as people continue to do this nothing changes because we are not demanding more from those that are in power to change it.

Quote:
True. I wish I had the opportunity to save money in my earlier years to buy a house. I had to pay full rent instead.
This is true for a lot of long time residents of NYC, however many sacrificed and bought something and still paid full rent.

Most people that are allowed to move into PJ's are in financial circumstances that will not allow them to pay rent stabilized rents, let alone market rates.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
where is the money for moving costs coming, out of the sky?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
where is the money for moving costs coming, out of the sky?
Sorry, but I am not a supporter of people who are able to work abusing the system. PJ's should be a temporary fix for people, not a long term situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City