Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:36 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times

Advertisements

Then why limit this to the PJs? Aren't Mitchell-Lamas subsidized housing as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Sorry, but I am not a supporter of people who are able to work abusing the system. PJ's should be a temporary fix for people, not a long term situation.
It used to be that way until some people decided that people in pj's should pay 1/3 of their gross income instead of 1/4. This would be equal to about 1/2 of your monthly take home pay. Most people that can only afford to rent and not buy are in this same predicament. So how can people with a lot less to begin with pay full rent that is demanded in privately owned housing.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:48 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I understand that people are angry about the fact that you can work hard and still not attain the American dream. However getting angry with people that are worse off than you are will not change anything. As long as people continue to do this nothing changes because we are not demanding more from those that are in power to change it.
Well said! Most people just don't get this. How can you blame a poor person for your lack of financial opportunities. They are poorer than you! The few programs that exist in our city or around the country still leaves out millions of poor people.

Nothing is being done about the middle class or for the middle class. And instead of demanding this from the govt, people get aggravated with the poor who were fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) to get an apartment in the projects? Does that make any sense? No, it doesn't. Not to me.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Then why limit this to the PJs? Aren't Mitchell-Lamas subsidized housing as well?
There are minimum income levels for Mitchell-Lamas. If a person can meet this level. I am pretty sure that they would rather live in a Mitchell-Lama

Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
Well said! Most people just don't get this. How can you blame a poor person for your lack of financial opportunities. They are poorer than you! The few programs that exist in our city or around the country still leaves out millions of poor people.

Nothing is being done about the middle class or for the middle class. And instead of demanding this from the govt, people get aggravated with the poor who were fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) to get an apartment in the projects? Does that make any sense? No, it doesn't. Not to me.
I can't speak for anyone else but I am not "ANGRY" with poor people. I was unable to save any money for most of my life and was just able to buy an apartment this year and I am 42 years old. That said, what I am complaining about is the system not being run properly and also those who abuse it.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:07 PM

112 posts, read 325,884 times
Ew I hate projects and there aren't enough words to express how much I'd appreciate it if they were destroyed with a wrecking ball or strapped with explosives and wiped off the face of the island.

There should be no public housing here because Manhattan is too good for projects and project dwellers.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Sorry, but I am not a supporter of people who are able to work abusing the system. PJ's should be a temporary fix for people, not a long term situation.
I don't condone it either....because that apartment could go to somebody who really needs it....but you never answered my question....how are the poor people going to move out of NYC? Even moving costs money. It's not easy, even for those who make decent money, to just pick up and move somewhere else. Look at the amount of "I'm moving to NYC, help!" thread we get on this forum.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Ew I hate projects and there aren't enough words to express how much I'd appreciate it if they were destroyed with a wrecking ball or strapped with explosives and wiped off the face of the island.

There should be no public housing here because Manhattan is too good for projects and project dwellers.
We are well aware of your thoughts on this topic.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
If anything Manhattan needs more low income housing and the outer boroughs need more luxury. Economic segregation isn't a good thing.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Due to narrow-mindedness.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City