Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
where is the money for moving costs coming, out of the sky?
No it comes from busting your butt at work usually. Say if I want to live on South Beach....do I get to go down there and expect to be able to live there off of a $12/hr wage? NOPE...I would then have to opt for somewhere that I can afford...perhaps Orlando or a cheaper Florida outskirt. If you can't afford NYC...what really is the reason to be here? If I couldn't afford it I would move somewhere else. To do this you have to save up..or get a second job or something under the table..so that you have enough for a moving truck and a deposit on a new place. In essence, you have to work harder and bust your booty...it's the game of survival. I wish money came out of the sky...but it doesn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 05:36 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
No it comes from busting your butt at work usually. Say if I want to live on South Beach....do I get to go down there and expect to be able to live there off of a $12/hr wage? NOPE...I would then have to opt for somewhere that I can afford...perhaps Orlando or a cheaper Florida outskirt. If you can't afford NYC...what really is the reason to be here? If I couldn't afford it I would move somewhere else. To do this you have to save up..or get a second job or something under the table..so that you have enough for a moving truck and a deposit on a new place. In essence, you have to work harder and bust your booty...it's the game of survival. I wish money came out of the sky...but it doesn't
Thanks for the answer, I obviously know where money comes from. It was kind of rhetorical, aimed at LynnePatrice and others, because I'm getting the attitude from people like if they can beat the system, they should just be able to pick up and move tomorrow. Which is not the case. And it goes much deeper than that Page3000. Let's say that I want to do things the legal way and get a second job...well guess what, I have to report that to NYCHA, and they raise my rent. So some of that extra money thats coming in is going to my rent. It's a catch-22. So it's not that easy to pick up and move.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
I can't speak for anyone else but I am not "ANGRY" with poor people. I was unable to save any money for most of my life and was just able to buy an apartment this year and I am 42 years old. That said, what I am complaining about is the system not being run properly and also those who abuse it.
Well the problem is who you're complaining to...start with the government, like others have mentioned.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, I obviously know where money comes from. It was kind of rhetorical, aimed at LynnePatrice and others, because I'm getting the attitude from people like if they can beat the system, they should just be able to pick up and move tomorrow. Which is not the case. And it goes much deeper than that Page3000. Let's say that I want to do things the legal way and get a second job...well guess what, I have to report that to NYCHA, and they raise my rent. So some of that extra money thats coming in is going to my rent. It's a catch-22. So it's not that easy to pick up and move.
I knew what kind of question it was haha . That's a good question. But even if someone did it legally..and they raised their rent a bit...because it's the projects...isn't it still less that what they would have to pay than the rest of us who are giving practically 60-70% of our salary to?

Old 08-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I knew what kind of question it was haha . That's a good question. But even if someone did it legally..and they raised their rent a bit...because it's the projects...isn't it still less that what they would have to pay than the rest of us who are giving practically 60-70% of our salary to?
it depends. but like i said before....if you meet the income guidelines you can get an apartment too. and then you wont pay 60%-70% of your income.

i wish they actually started selling apartments like dirt cheap...the middle class i tihnk would sweep them up. imagine buying a 3 bdrm for $50K....i'd buy three apartments if i could.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
it depends. but like i said before....if you meet the income guidelines you can get an apartment too. and then you wont pay 60%-70% of your income.

I would LOVE to be living in a place that doesn't take that much away from my paycheck...but I know it's not fair to expect it. The thing is...I know you're concerned about these people having to move...but what happens to me when the rent goes up (and I am paying WAY more than people who are getting welfare or living in the projects) and I have to move? I'm 22 with no degree...and I seem to have been able to do this all on my own. No handouts...no one making it easier. There must be SOME possible way. As much as I would love to have an easy handout or a helpmeout I know that it is unrealistic to continue to expect this especially in such a large city.
I wouldn't pick on older or disabled people though...I think that's where the issue lies...they don't deserve to just be kicked out...but to be honest with you..the vast majority of people I see munching up the welfare/project system are ANYTHING BUT that. It seems to be a lot of people who don't know what a condom is...or sometimes aren't even from the USA.
Why should anyone get it easier? That's what I can't seem to understand. I have been homeless at 17...busted my butt..went to HS and graduated with A's...paid my way out here...gotten a job (w/ no degree) @ Citadel..then ConEdison and now I am working thru an agency. I haven't had ANY help doing this and I'm not complaining...it's just life.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
To LynnePatrice: lots of people complain about the government. In NYC, it might even be the majority of the population! But you notice that on election day, almost 60% of New Yorkers don't vote--particularly in mayoral elections. Is it any surprise that the politicians do the things they do? If we had an election where 98% of the electorate turned out, that would send the first real message to politicians in decades.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I would LOVE to be living in a place that doesn't take that much away from my paycheck...but I know it's not fair to expect it. The thing is...I know you're concerned about these people having to move...but what happens to me when the rent goes up (and I am paying WAY more than people who are getting welfare or living in the projects) and I have to move? I'm 22 with no degree...and I seem to have been able to do this all on my own. No handouts...no one making it easier. There must be SOME possible way. As much as I would love to have an easy handout or a helpmeout I know that it is unrealistic to continue to expect this especially in such a large city.
I wouldn't pick on older or disabled people though...I think that's where the issue lies...they don't deserve to just be kicked out...but to be honest with you..the vast majority of people I see munching up the welfare/project system are ANYTHING BUT that. It seems to be a lot of people who don't know what a condom is...or sometimes aren't even from the USA.
Why should anyone get it easier? That's what I can't seem to understand. I have been homeless at 17...busted my butt..went to HS and graduated with A's...paid my way out here...gotten a job (w/ no degree) @ Citadel..then ConEdison and now I am working thru an agency. I haven't had ANY help doing this and I'm not complaining...it's just life.
well all i can tell you is NYCHA
see if you fit the income guidelines, and get on the waiting list
pick manhattan as your borough of preference

Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:

i wish they actually started selling apartments like dirt cheap...the middle class i tihnk would sweep them up. imagine buying a 3 bdrm for $50K....i'd buy three apartments if i could.

You know, that would not be a bad way to try to fix some of the projects, to sell them as limited-equity cooperatives, for example. They would be preserved as affordable housing, and the cooperators would not have the same neglect for the premises as exists in some of the more notorious NYCHA projects. Combined with this, you would be able to preserve the current people who live and work in projects, who are decent, hard-working individuals who should not be displaced, to which new cooperators would be added to provide for working persons, allowing them to fill wage gaps at the lower end of the spectrum and giving them a reasonable commute to work. And, since once one has an ownership interest in a property, their attitude changes, the problems of the projects would certainly begin to disappear.

The other population of the projects could be easier gotten a handle on, and moving them to more of a lower-density scaled project that could be more easily patrolled and the like, leaving the higher density structures to be upgraded as cooperatives. That idea would have merit, but with the bureaucracy of most governmental agencies and lawsuits that would be flying over such a policy, I don't know how feasible it would be to implement in the short term, but in a longer view, it seems like a good way to rehabilitate existing housing to suit its intended purpose, but with the ownership interest to keep the communities strong and thriving.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,890 times
Wink "why isn't middle class housing being built in NYC or Chicago?

Hi Everyone:

Regentrification is great and was a long time coming. It is great that some of us are fortunate to have high paying jobs which allow us to live in downtown / prime areas of our cities and /or degrees often that lead to higher paying jobs.

I am at the same time concerned for the hard working people (not dead beats) who have lived in and kept certain areas alive during the bad times now being forced out of their life time home/neighborhoods because they are not fortunate enough to have big salaries and their children who were not able to earn degrees such as ours have which allow them to obtain even higher salaries.

P.J.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City