Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,854 times

Advertisements

what Chicago did so1111 visit?
Chicago is a great city with a lot to offer. I have resided here for 58 years.
I hate the winters and desire the experience of visiting NYC and Durham for more than two weeks, but no one who has ever visited Chicago would say it was dirty or a dump.

P.J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 05:10 PM

110 posts, read 308,269 times
Projects and poor tenement buildings have been in Manhattan forever. All the rich transplants should not try to dump on NYC infrastructure. This has nothing to do with poor, lazy people who are abusing the system. This is about the OP stating that chicago has better city planning than NYC because of the pj's in Manhattan. NYC public housing has many different hard working races and nationalities that are struggling with the NYC cost of living. Because they are not as wealthy as other "paid" NYers and transplants don't mean they should be shipped out of the city. I do not advocate abusing the system, however, I don't advocate running the struggling hard workers out of the city. This is what makes up NYC. Transplants, yuppies, hipsters, and out of towners should not bash the system that has made NYC what it is today.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 PM

821 posts, read 1,032,342 times
Default Borderline racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
It's interesting that Manhattan, a supposedly wealthy and prestigious place, has so many housing projects. I'm not talking about just the ones in harlem and east harlem but the massive housing projects in prime real estate, like the lower east side next to east river, chelsea, lincoln center, and even upper east side. What's even more shocking is that there's luxury condos right next to these projects!

If NYC wants to get to the next level and truly become a great city, it should imitate Chicago's model of urban development, which is the gold standard for all cities. Chicago has destroyed most of the housing projects near prime real estate, such as the infamous cabrini green, which is near gold coast. As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified. There's very few homeless people and violent criminals roaming the streets at night.

NYC still has a long way to go, and I wish it the best of luck. The next mayor and the city council should study Chicago's model. After all, there's a reason why Chicago is the favorite to win the 2016 Olympics.
I just cringed at the thought of destroying the last solid affordable housing in NYC. That is the worst idea I have ever heard in my life, besides the Iraq war. That makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,963,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajones View Post
what Chicago did so1111 visit?
Chicago is a great city with a lot to offer. I have resided here for 58 years.
I hate the winters and desire the experience of visiting NYC and Durham for more than two weeks, but no one who has ever visited Chicago would say it was dirty or a dump.

P.J.
I agree.. Chicago is the cleanest city I've ever seen.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:14 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,427,624 times
I thought the best line he had here had to be " If NYC wants to get to the next level and truly become a great city, it should imitate..." Good lord, I almost pizzzt myself when I read that part!

Thanks for the advice ChicagoFinance (wherever you are). You might better stick to finance however. Whereas urban planning in NYC is managing, Wall St might indeed benefit from your expertise!

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-20-2008 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: No conversations about other members

Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,623 times
A single person can apply for housing if they make less than $43,000 a year. A family of four can make up to $62,450 dollars That is not a pittance. NYCHA has a priority for people who work. They have what is called a working family preference. Actually 50 percent of the units are reserved for people who work. If you fall within these income guidelines than you should apply. I earned almost $50,000 last year but since I am single I am taxed through the roof. I also go to school part time. So are you saying that I am low class and I don't deserve to live in Manhattan? I should leave my roots behind? Believe it or not but you need poor people and working class people like me. We are the heart of this city and we keep it running. Those neighborhoods like the LES that you consider so hip, its people like me that gave it that soul and flava that you crave so much. I will continue to live in the projects and be proud of where I live. I am an asset to my community. Why should I pay $2000. a month to live in a run down tenement? SO I can claim to be hip? Let's talk about the exuberant amount of rent that landlords get away with charging. It's disgusting!!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:15 AM

39 posts, read 67,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
That's an excellent question.

Chicago sent them off to the far south side, where they built decent family homes that they can live in. This is one of the reasons why such a large part of Chicago is clean, safe, and full of luxury condos, upscale restaurants, clubs, bars, and retail.

In Manhattan, you can go from nice condos to the dangerous projects within a few blocks! I mean, look at the projects near lincoln center on west end avenue, as an example. They've built several luxury condos right next to it. I think this is unacceptable, and NYC needs to strive to do better.

who Mod cutare you kidding? "Chicago sent them off...where they built decent family homes..." That may be the case for a few, but a lot of far south side neighborhoods, and especially the south burbs, have gone to Mod cut. Look at Robbins, that place had a murder rate of like 140/100k awhile back.

also, chicago's projects were such violent hell holes that they almost had to tear them down. the projects in nyc seem to have been successful.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 23,011 times
I love people likcurrently live in the Bronx. I have been on the wait list for 4 years. I work full-time at a hospital and I also attend school full time. I have been paying rent that is over $900 plus con ed. I do not have any children. I think that it is a blessing that I recieved a break. I'm not on walfare and I also pay thousands a year for school. The last 4 yrs of my life has been hardwork and no play. Work, school, work, school. I finally get housing and I can relax a little. I'm 24 years and I believe in healthy lifestyle : as far as food choices and physical activity, which is so hard in the Bronx. I'm happy that I'm leaving the Bronx because I have outgrown it. Thanks, NYCha you have given me a chance to finish college and provided a better living for me. Stop hating on the people that are getting some type of break and hustle for your own. I hate when people are judgemental because everyone has a story, thats the reason why most people live in housing, because they had a bad dilemma. I still plan on working and finally enjou some downtime, without working overtime just to pay my rent and I happy that its in Manhattan becauseI deserve to live in a nice enviroment. I was a victim of domestic violence and that how I got housing. I finish my first degree this year, less than 9 months and I will go for my second one. Housing give me a break that I some grateful for. And anyone else that get a housing, I hope that its in a nice development and classy part of the city where you can enjoy. Most blacks and spanish people never get free handouts. Most of us are not born with a college account where we can just attend college and have that chance. We have been working hard for many years and if housing is a chance to reach the top, go for it.e the carpenter! High Five to him. I just got accepted to Smith Houses for a one bedroom and I

Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 6,801 times
"I still plan on working and finally enjou some downtime, without working overtime just to pay my rent and I happy that its in Manhattan becauseI deserve to live in a nice enviroment. I was a victim of domestic violence and that how I got housing."

Should we give all victims of violence a prime place to live? You think wealthy people don't have their struggles? What else do people "deserve" besides equal rights?

"And anyone else that get a housing, I hope that its in a nice development and classy part of the city where you can enjoy. Most blacks and spanish people never get free handouts. Most of us are not born with a college account where we can just attend college and have that chance."

Don't you believe in working for what you earn? People should get housing in "classy" parts of the city? So you should get things beyond basic necessities? Why? You're only 24 but you will have a place better than must hard working people in their 30s have. Is that fair? You think you have it tough? You think Black people and Spanish people are they only ones that have it tough? Seriously?!

I know so many Asian immigrants (illegal and legal) that have made their way up from nothing, even paying loan sharks back in their country. They are able to make it, why can't you? They know how to save and penny pinch. They make sacrifices, giving up drinks at the bar, eating at a restaurant. Go to Roosevelt Ave, theres so many Mexican immigrants making a living without free housing. I've seen immigrants as young as 15 making it, even going to school. NY has a CUNY and SUNY system that is affordable and the state/city financial aid is very generous. I know immigrants that live in 1 bedroom, JUST THE bedroom. They share the bathroom and kitchen with others. They save until they can afford a place of their own whereas projects allows you take it "easy" (rely on something).

"I still plan on working and finally enjou some downtime, without working overtime just to pay my rent..."

Chinese immigrants work around 12 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week. No holidays except Chinese New Year and Thanksgiving....and you want to take it easy? You shouldn't be taking it easy! You should be working your butt off to stop relying on others. So something bad happened to you. Guess what, you're not the only one.

And why can't we move projects away from Manhattan to other areas within NYC or in Long Island? Is the distance that much farther? Are there menial jobs that demanding? What are their hours compared to lawyers, doctors, investment bankers, shop owners, etc. A 9-5 job. So let them ride the train 1-2 more hours per day. Our train system is a flat rate. I traveled to school 1-2 hours a day each way.

Helping someone is one thing. Making them comfortable is another.

Lastly, some of you have spoke highly of projects. I'll admit that some are decent (some are given to the elderly), there are a few that are a mess. I've been to the Harlem projects and some Brooklyn projects. You do not want to be there walking alone, especially at night (and if you're not Black). You'll get stares. Hide everything you worked so hard to earn...try not to look like you have money. Projects are notorious for gangs and gang violence and the government checks are fueling them. When I walk through the halls I can smell weed, see sketchings and graffiti all over, smell the urine in the elevator (residents know not to touch anything in the elevator), and see dime bags and burnt out blunts on the floor.

Last edited by detonate; 08-14-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 AM

169 posts, read 488,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detonate View Post
"I still plan on working and finally enjou some downtime, without working overtime just to pay my rent and I happy that its in Manhattan becauseI deserve to live in a nice enviroment. I was a victim of domestic violence and that how I got housing."

Should we give all victims of violence a prime place to live? You think wealthy people don't have their struggles? What else do people "deserve" besides equal rights?

"And anyone else that get a housing, I hope that its in a nice development and classy part of the city where you can enjoy. Most blacks and spanish people never get free handouts. Most of us are not born with a college account where we can just attend college and have that chance."

Don't you believe in working for what you earn? People should get housing in "classy" parts of the city? So you should get things beyond basic necessities? Why? You're only 24 but you will have a place better than must hard working people in their 30s have. Is that fair? You think you have it tough? You think Black people and Spanish people are they only ones that have it tough? Seriously?!

I know so many Asian immigrants (illegal and legal) that have made their way up from nothing, even paying loan sharks back in their country. They are able to make it, why can't you? They know how to save and penny pinch. They make sacrifices, giving up drinks at the bar, eating at a restaurant. Go to Roosevelt Ave, theres so many Mexican immigrants making a living without free housing. I've seen immigrants as young as 15 making it, even going to school. NY has a CUNY and SUNY system that is affordable and the state/city financial aid is very generous. I know immigrants that live in 1 bedroom, JUST THE bedroom. They share the bathroom and kitchen with others. They save until they can afford a place of their own whereas projects allows you take it "easy" (rely on something).

"I still plan on working and finally enjou some downtime, without working overtime just to pay my rent..."

Chinese immigrants work around 12 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week. No holidays except Chinese New Year and Thanksgiving....and you want to take it easy? You shouldn't be taking it easy! You should be working your butt off to stop relying on others. So something bad happened to you. Guess what, you're not the only one.

And why can't we move projects away from Manhattan to other areas within NYC or in Long Island? Is the distance that much farther? Are there menial jobs that demanding? What are their hours compared to lawyers, doctors, investment bankers, shop owners, etc. A 9-5 job. So let them ride the train 1-2 more hours per day. Our train system is a flat rate. I traveled to school 1-2 hours a day each way.

Helping someone is one thing. Making them comfortable is another.

Lastly, some of you have spoke highly of projects. I'll admit that some are decent (some are given to the elderly), there are a few that are a mess. I've been to the Harlem projects and some Brooklyn projects. You do not want to be there walking alone, especially at night (and if you're not Black). You'll get stares. Hide everything you worked so hard to earn...try not to look like you have money. Projects are notorious for gangs and gang violence and the government checks are fueling them. When I walk through the halls I can smell weed, see sketchings and graffiti all over, smell the urine in the elevator (residents know not to touch anything in the elevator), and see dime bags and burnt out blunts on the floor.
Exactly! Also, while I am AGAINST this whole illegal immigration thing...people like the poster you quoted make it hard for me to DEFEND legal citizens as being hard working and willing to sacrifice to make it.

Jeez!.....Furthermore, the projects afe AWFUL! EVEN the good ones! My first boyfriend lived in Woodside projects....a total crap-hole! My Dad grew up in Astoria projects....another crap-hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City