Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 32,001 times

Advertisements

First of all most people would agree that if not the greatest, NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world. Im sorry to say that Chicago is a little farther down the list. Also, one of the things that makes NYC what it is, is a huge melting pot of different people, whether it be by race/culture, financialy etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM

499 posts, read 794,632 times
These public housing complexes should be torn down and replaced with mixed income housing. Maybe 30% Low-income 30% Mid-Income 40% Market rate. I guess it would vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, but the city has to at least guarantee that every torn down low-income unit is replaced. Also guarantee that previous tenants get first dibs on the new low-inc. apartments.

Ideally, this should all be done in phases, so no tenant will have to find a home elsewhere while their building is being demolished and a new building is constructed.

Reinstall the original street grid of these superblock sites and build buildings that meet the street with retail; there's too much wasted open space in the current complexes.

Have different developers and architects construct each building so the redevelopment doesn't end up looking like one monotonous complex. The buildings should vary in scale and size to appear more like a natural growth of the city.

Just like how the city builds affordable housing now, having private developers build and maintain these units would save the city (housing department) quite a bit of cash. There will be an issue if the market-rate unit prices aren't high enough to subsidize the affordable units.

Another issue would be density, since I'm not only proposing to replace all the previous units, but building addition middle-income and market rate units as well.

Last edited by Arxis28; 08-16-2010 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,951 times
I am all for it...who is paying for this? What is the time frame? 100 years?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 AM

267 posts, read 1,034,254 times
Housing projects will not be torn down unless structure problem. Most of them are filled up and with long waiting list. Tear down and rebuild are the easy part. Residents relocation will cost a lot of headaches and $$$$$.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
And where do you want those people to go? You can't just kick people out of their homes, and projects/low income doesn't necessarily equal bad.
thank you, it's unbelievable that so many white or affluent people think that gentrification can simply clean an area up. Sure, it is good for the wealthy but what about the poor that were there before? They are in the same terrible situation in a different part of town? How is that a good model to look at.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:21 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
First of all most of the housing projects were built in areas that were not what we considered prime. it is only recently that all these desolate areas have become the area to be in...remember the projects were there first....

a good example is Chelsea on 9th ave and 17th street, now a hip and trendy hood, but when the pj's were built it was considered out of the way.

I dont see anything wrong with them. thats classic NY, diversity.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM

148 posts, read 271,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
It's interesting that Manhattan, a supposedly wealthy and prestigious place, has so many housing projects. I'm not talking about just the ones in harlem and east harlem but the massive housing projects in prime real estate, like the lower east side next to east river, chelsea, lincoln center, and even upper east side. What's even more shocking is that there's luxury condos right next to these projects!

If NYC wants to get to the next level and truly become a great city, it should imitate Chicago's model of urban development, which is the gold standard for all cities. Chicago has destroyed most of the housing projects near prime real estate, such as the infamous cabrini green, which is near gold coast. As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified. There's very few homeless people and violent criminals roaming the streets at night.

NYC still has a long way to go, and I wish it the best of luck. The next mayor and the city council should study Chicago's model. After all, there's a reason why Chicago is the favorite to win the 2016 Olympics.
^^^^^
Snob.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 PM

499 posts, read 794,632 times
And funny enough Chicago lost the Olympics and 200,000 residents according to the census. Some model.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,783,609 times
Chicago Finance wrote:
"As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified."

No matter what you think of NYC and its projects this is blatantly untrue. Parts of Rogers Park, Uptown, And Humboldt Park I know for sure are still rough neighborhoods--and not tiny parts of them either.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 AM

1,123 posts, read 777,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
now that the temps are going up.

No, NYC is great precisely because we are not like the Chicago the OP described.

We are a city that recognizes thae value of ALL human beings not just those who accumulated wealth - by honest and/or dishonest means, by hard work, inheritance, or plain luck. We recognize that all our residents have a right to enjoy our metropolis - to wit, we have projects, rent stabilization and rent control, luxury condos, Soho, UES, Forest Hills, Williamsburg, Harlem ,South Jamaica, Flatbush, South Bronx- and they all make NYC different and uniquely more exciting and desirable than the vision expressed by some elitists.
And the OP has no idea of how many housing projects there are in the city - the number is vast.

The lower east side and Rockaways are basically one large one, with huge numbers of the poor living there enjoying the benefits of my hard work/tax dollars to support their free schooling/free healthcare/make-work jobs: there are 360,000 people working for the NYC government, lots of welfare, etc.

IF NYC is going to have a future, it is going to have to stop being the World's magnet for the poor with people arriving here in droves to collect welfare benefits.

I almost refused to pay my local/state estimated taxes this quarter, and I was not alone. People are fed up with paying the nation's highest income/property taxes so as to sustain the salaries and benefits of public union workers.

People like me i.e., income producers, are leaving the city in droves, leaving a severely reduced tax base. 1 in 5 NYers are on welfare, how long does the idiot leftists think that this can continue?`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City