U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 PM

25 posts, read 112,531 times

Advertisements

ok..back to the issue and question of parking ??...lol anybody ever experience the waitlisted issue before.. hw long did u have to wait or are u still waiting for a coop parking...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,865,564 times
I'm in Manhattan. No car, no problem!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 57,025 times
Hi there,

I know I'm a few days late on your post but hopefully I can answer your questions. I live in a coop in Riverdale. Before we bought, we spent about a year looking at different places in Riverdale (b/c there are several different neighborhoods that make up the Riverdale area) and looked at coops vs. condos. We ultimately chose a coop because coops tend to be a more secure investment. There are a lot of new condos going up in Riverdale - but they haven't been doing all that well. There are many vacancies. Also, while it is nice to buy a new condo now, we were concerned that they might not be as desirable in 5+ years. Plus, they are much more expensive than a coop.

Having said that, there are negatives that come with a coop. The board process is extremely intrusive. We had to reveal everything about ourselves and our financial situation - and a lot of it seemed unnecessary. There are also a lot of rules - we did some construction in our new place and the approval process for that was annoying. There were also rules about when we could have our work done: M-F; 9-5pm - which meant that the construction took longer. However, I still feel that the positives of buying a coop in Riverdale outweigh the negatives.

In terms of parking, every building will be different. We are on the waitlist for parking in our building - and we've heard that it takes a while. Not quite sure how long - but a while. I'm hoping it won't be more than a year - but who knows. The only way that you'll find out the real deal about the waitlist is to talk to other tenants. However, I haven't had a problem yet with parking on the street - but this will vary based on which part of Riverdale you choose. Some areas parking is tougher than others. There are also garages that are available where you can buy a spot - that is something we've been in the process of looking into so that I don't need to worry.

Anyway, if you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly or post on the site.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City