Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:17 PM

63 posts, read 235,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamhock View Post
As a person who currently lives in Los Angeles (Studio City to be exact) and is moving as fast as I can to NYC. I would have to say the NYC is better and more comfortable. But that is just for me. I think that you are either a west coaster of an east coaster. I have been in Cali for about a year and this has been long enough for both myself and my boyfriend. Don't get me wrong it is BEAUTIFUL here. Gorgeous weather, and beaches. But that is about it. Everything is so spread out , and you HAVE to have a car and be willing to be in traffic for HOURS to get anywhere. Not to mention that I have not found Cali people to be as warm as back east. People are very cliquish out here and stick to themselves unless you have something to offer them. Plus NYC just has this pulse to it.

We moved out here for my boyfriend, he is an actor but we are moving back to NYC as soon as possible. Don't get me wrong, like I said it is beautiful out here. Just not for us.
Totally disagree! I find that NYer's are not as warm and are "cliquish". If you didnt grow up with someone from out here then you have NO friends (other than your co-workers). I'm from SF, but live in NY (I hate it here). It's dirty, and tooooo crowded!! Costs a fortune just to rent a cereal box, when you could get your monies worth in CA. Not to mention our "little" friend (the mouse) in our apartment. Maybe I should charge him rent too! It's TOTALLY disgusting here. There were even complaints about all the rats on the train platforms in NY, and they are getting bolder and come out and walk on the platforms and sit on the benches on the platforms! How could NY be better than CA when you have to live with mice in your apt? I am from SF and have NEVER experienced anything like this before. The only thing that is better in MY opinion is the PIZZA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 PM

63 posts, read 235,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
jus looking for all around opinions on where you find a more comfortbale life..
Well, if you are not living somewhere where there are rats in the train stations, mice in your apartment, and tons of people. Then NY wouldn't be the place for you! I'm from SF/Bay Area and I think that it's more comfortable esp if you have kids! I'm looking to move by next summer!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:20 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Isn't it strange that Californians are the ones who insist on comparing LA (or SF) to New York. New Yorkers seldom do the reverse.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 PM

198 posts, read 354,606 times
Each has many things to offer. One is no better or worse than the other. California is so very much different from NY, and LA is very much different from NYC.

I have lived on both coasts, and now that I am retired, I prefer south OC, CA. It's warm, and getting around is pretty easy. If you don't have to pound freeways to get back and forth to work, all the rest falls into place...at least it does for my wife and me.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 AM

112 posts, read 649,166 times
Really depends where in CA. I would never live in L.A. because of the overall culture. San Francisco is a possibility, I love the atmosphere. Orange County is beautiful but if you have children in school, I would reconsider sending my kids to become brainwashed by some of their peers. NYC is a very diverse area and you can find your own atmosphere here, the neighborhoods are all so different from one another that there's something here for everyone I feel. I live CA weather, but that's pretty much all I can say. This isn't to say you won't find your qualms with NYC either. But overall, NYC (when comparing it to L.A.) is a lot safer, the schools are better (both public and private), and walkable! Having a car isn't a problem but isn't a necessity which is great.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM

9 posts, read 20,974 times
Default From the North East, lived in the SE, NE, SW

From the North East, lived in the SE, NE, SW in my life and i'm only in my middle twenties. The comparison to both areas is night and day, apples to oranges so to speak. Most likely you are just meant for one or the other, but when winter comes up north you will remember why you left. I spent 2.5 years away from the Boston area and I can say, coming back after that time changes your perspective of what the area really is especially when speaking of natural beauty. California is just a wonderful place full of every extreme you can think of. Boom or bust type of place with an inspirational vibe in its own way. NYC is similar is other ways, but is geared more to the artificial and structural estetic that the city projects. By artificial I do not me that people are superficial, but you will find people like that anywhere, and many do live in LA. NYC has it's fare share of fake people as well.

If you are a seasonal person you would most likely fare better in the Big Apple, but don't forget what California taught you if you lived out there. You will miss it. By the time I left, I realized it might have been a mistake, but one can't think in the past and must always focus on the future.

For those who generalize California as Hollywood you are making a big mistake. The state even with it's problems it extrodinary and I know that if I had to go back I would embrace it once more. The ocean is so much better out there, the vibe is laid back, where as people in the NE tend to be uptight (24 years of experience living in the NE). California is in it's own realm with a culture of it's own. If it isn't for you great, but to say people aren't as genuine is a falsity. 1 year of living anywhere isn't really enough time to give a place to generalize. It takes at least 2 with effort to make friends instead of being negative of how much different it is. The difference is the best part and allows you to grow into an adaptable person.

NYC my have a pulse as you say, because I have felt the feeling you get walking down 34th, broadway, the artistic vibe of Brooklyn and the energy the city throws out. However lets come to terms and all agree the weather is tough in NYC. Brutal winters and brutal summers. The weather is extreme! California lets you enjoy everyday to the fullest if you know how to utilize the mild climate. I am a little biased because I am a surfer, but it is just awesome to be able to have the constant climate. Although spring and fall time in the NE is great and people generally have a warm vibe to them. Nothing beats that fall foliage!

Are you a ocean go'er and like the warmth or a city person who likes skyscraper cannons! Either way, California and NYC are very creative and bohemian types of places. Just learn what one you like better!

Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeppushing View Post
jus looking for all around opinions on where you find a more comfortbale life..
It really depends on you. If you don't like driving, like having the convenience of access to food & public transportation 24/7 and like having 4 seasons of weather then NYC is the place for you. If you don't mind driving with limited public transportation options and don't want really winter weather, then I would say California is better.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It really depends on you. If you don't like driving, like having the convenience of access to food & public transportation 24/7 and like having 4 seasons of weather then NYC is the place for you. If you don't mind driving with limited public transportation options and don't want really winter weather, then I would say California is better.
Agreed, I was going to say something very similar.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM

273 posts, read 672,755 times
Actually, if you have a car New Jersey has gorgeous beaches - really. Go to Island Beach State Park, Sandy Hook (which you can reach by a water ferry from downtown Manhattan), Mantalooking, Cape May ... but yes the problem with NYC you have to travel farther to get to extremely nice beaches which are available for only a few months. There is always the Andirondacks and Catskills in NY State but again several hours to get there. You can reach some pleasant natural areas but you always feel or see the big city nearby.

Sorry about the poster who has suffered vermin - I have ha my ordeals with it and I just attribute iot to a city with a lot more water, marshland and higher density than SF.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
NYC is not about being comfortable, in fact comfortable is not something that should be anywhere near your vocabulary

NYC is about being stimulated, being challenged, and expanding your world view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City