Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:36 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
hey drkman, sorry I missed you at the meetup a week ago. I left before you got there. I understand the fervency with which you write and put forward your viewpoints.
Hi Miles, sorry I missed you also. Hopefully if it happens again, we will get a chance to meet. It was nice getting the opportunity to meet and talk with people face to face, and as Hypnotizzed had mentioned when he and Crisp44 was organizing, in a old school New York bar. What more can you ask for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Hi Miles, sorry I missed you also. Hopefully if it happens again, we will get a chance to meet. It was nice getting the opportunity to meet and talk with people face to face, and as Hypnotizzed had mentioned when he and Crisp44 was organizing, in a old school New York bar. What more can you ask for
look forward to that drkman!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:50 PM

175 posts, read 549,920 times
Drkman: I agree with what you've said. A landlord who buys into a rent controlled building takes subject to the tenant's rent control rights. A tenant in a rent controlled building has a vested tenancy interest that can be very valuable, and they have a right to realize that value. Whether rent control is a good thing or not is besides the point. The law is the law and should be respected by all concerned.

It would be a crime and a tort (defamation) for a landlord to send an email to a school accusing an innocent person of being a drug dealer. There is just no way for any of us to know who sent the email or why. It seems to me the evil landlord, if that is what he is, can only succeed if the residents get divided. If the old and new get together, address their differences and unite, the evil landlord will lose. My view is that new residents should be embrased as part of the evolving community.

I don't know anything about your particular situation, and have no dog in the fight, but I don't think this kind of thing can be won with allegations thrown out on a blog. Ultimately facts and proof are needed.

Best of luck.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
Drkman: I agree with what you've said. A landlord who buys into a rent controlled building takes subject to the tenant's rent control rights. A tenant in a rent controlled building has a vested tenancy interest that can be very valuable, and they have a right to realize that value. Whether rent control is a good thing or not is besides the point. The law is the law and should be respected by all concerned.

It would be a crime and a tort (defamation) for a landlord to send an email to a school accusing an innocent person of being a drug dealer. There is just no way for any of us to know who sent the email or why. It seems to me the evil landlord, if that is what he is, can only succeed if the residents get divided. If the old and new get together, address their differences and unite, the evil landlord will lose. My view is that new residents should be embrased as part of the evolving community.

I don't know anything about your particular situation, and have no dog in the fight, but I don't think this kind of thing can be won with allegations thrown out on a blog. Ultimately facts and proof are needed.

Best of luck.
Hey Classicalguy, I have no vested interest in this particular situation. It just struck me as something that could be wrong and just wanted people to realize what may be happening behind the scenes. I hope that whatever the situation is, that it gets taken care of and noone is damaged. Everything is really allegations that have yet to proven by anybody. Be it the landlord, the group of guys or the residents of Clinton Hill, everyone needs to handle things in the appropriate manner so that Clinton Hill can continue to thrive. I was just trying to show a viewpoint that is not normally seen in these situations, but I fear I may have been wrong in trying to do that since the issue became somewhat cloudy.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 AM

173 posts, read 192,655 times
Sounds like everyone is making accusations, the guys hanging out/smoking weed in front of the building are accussing the LL of this email, SOMEBODY is accussing the guys hanging out in front of the building of doing drugs/being a part of a drug ring. What is the only thing we know as fact? The guys that are hanging out in front of the building, per the writer himself, ARE smoking weed, at least some. And his reason why it's okay? "Who doesn't smoke weed" and "We were thrown out of the park so we are forced to hang out in front of th building." These guys are a joke, they have made up a story about an evil LL out to get people of color, and refuse to take responsibility or even akcnolwedge that maybe it is not okay or normal to congregate in front of the building and smoke weed! Maybe it was accepted and part of the "history" of Clinton Hill, but apparently it is no longer...why exactly can they just take it somewhere else and be discrete about it? It is their right to hang out/smoke weed in front of the building? I believe that is called loitering. It boggles my mind how they believe they are the victims here...what a joke.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM

175 posts, read 549,920 times
Well, isn't it possible for someone to smoke pot and still be a victim?

I would not want young people hanging out in front of my place of abode smoking pot, so I certainly understand the concern of those who feel threatened by the activity - even if the people hanging out and smoking did not intend to threaten.

We've heard a lot on this board from people who wish the old community had not changed. Well, too bad. Change is gonna come. It's certain. We can either resist it by trying to discriminate against the "outsiders," or we embrace it and recognize that we live in an evolving community, and our patterns of conduct may have to change to accommodate the tastes and desires of the evolving community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City