Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:22 AM

43 posts, read 205,771 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad regarding this area of Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 10:43 AM

58 posts, read 415,991 times
Default Upper Eastside

That is to general a question. What do you need to know? Jobs, schools, rent, buying, etc. etc. I was born in 1952 and raised on East 78th Street, and York Ave. My whole family goes back to 1906 in Yorkville although none remain except me, and I live on the Westside. I am retired (NYPD) so tell me more of what you need to know.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,333,529 times
Upper East side = upper crust, rich people. Don't even consider moving here unless you make well into the six figures. If you don't, then just scrap whatever plans you might have had for moving here.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:25 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,776,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Upper East side = upper crust, rich people. Don't even consider moving here unless you make well into the six figures. If you don't, then just scrap whatever plans you might have had for moving here.
Yup! Lived there waaay back growing up! ('74-'84) Loved it! But it was expensive THEN... (though I guess it would be in proportion to the cost of living...)

Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,914,254 times
If you are new to NYC I would recommend it. I lived there most of the 90's and it was fairly affordable but tough to find a decent place for sure - it has gotten very expensive. I lived in Yorkville mostly around 1st ave to York and from 73rd to 86th st. Its a quiet neighborhood for the most part although there are quite a few bars on first ave which can be nosiy at times. Its mostly a lot of young new yuppie types I guess you could say that rotate through. It is true that the real upper crusty types live there but thats closer to central park from the other side of Lexington to 5th ave - if you make in the 7 figures then take a peek over there. York is a place to look its close to the river and Carl Shulz park which a is nice small park on the river by Gracie mansion the Mayors residence. There are plenty of restuarants, museums and central park is always a close walk.

One thing about living around there is the subway is on Lexington which can be pretty good walk in the morning esp. when its really cold. A bus on York can take you to midtown and beyond but painfully slow travel. My wife used to take the bus and it took 45 min to an hour to midtown. Another complaint I hear a lot of people say is that its not the "real NYC" and true it is fairly bland by some standards - but if you like a quite safe area it is worth a look.

gl

Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,055,855 times
More or less agree with your observations. I'd add only one other fact: I think the East Side because it is viewed as __boring__has become less expensive than the Upper West Side and other places in the City. And commuting is the worst of the lot for the City. I remember that York Avenue bus.

Just my take, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
If you are new to NYC I would recommend it. I lived there most of the 90's and it was fairly affordable but tough to find a decent place for sure - it has gotten very expensive. I lived in Yorkville mostly around 1st ave to York and from 73rd to 86th st. Its a quiet neighborhood for the most part although there are quite a few bars on first ave which can be nosiy at times. Its mostly a lot of young new yuppie types I guess you could say that rotate through. It is true that the real upper crusty types live there but thats closer to central park from the other side of Lexington to 5th ave. York is a place to look its close to the river and Carl Shulz park which a is nice small park on the river by Gracie mansion the Mayors residence. There are plenty of restuarants, museums and central park is always a close walk.

One thing about living around there is the subway is on Lexington which can be pretty good walk in the morning esp. when its really cold. A bus on York can take you to midtown and beyond but painfully slow travel. My wife used to take the bus and it took 45 min to an hour to midtown. Another complaint I hear a lot of people say is that its not the "real NYC" and true it is fairly bland by some standards - but if you like a quite safe area it is worth a look.

gl

Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
More or less agree with your observations. I'd add only one other fact: I think the East Side because it is viewed as __boring__has become less expensive than the Upper West Side and other places in the City. And commuting is the worst of the lot for the City. I remember that York Avenue bus.

Just my take, of course!
Yeah that Bus is like sticking a ice pick in your eye I dont know how my wife did it. On really bad days I would take the Bus up 86th to the Subway which my wife would yell at me for cuz it was a double fare. And those Lex ave subways are PACKED in the morning. But now I live way up in the mountains and could never go back.

I like boring so I liked the Upper east. You can go anywhere for fun I liked coming to a quiet relatively safe neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 AM

OK my wife told me why she took the Bus.

It was right out in front of our Apt Door.
She always got a seat.
Less scary people
She could read/work
And she knew she could go 3 miles in 45 minutes.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 PM

284 posts, read 1,653,563 times
UES is where many young people who are new to the city live. There are several bars and some of the more reasonably priced housing - you have to move away from Fifth Ave, though! Try to stay close to Lexington for the subway. North of 100th St is not exactly unsafe - it is gentrifying - but if you are unfamiliar with the city and have safety concerns, I would stay south of there.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 30,046 times
Default Moving to NY.. Apprehensions galore!

My wife and i are planning to move to NY. My wife will work in NY and I in NJ. My question is how long it would take me to reach midtown NY pennstation from 1-Upper east side 2-Upper west side? Whats the best commuting mode? I will be working in Morristown NJ but do not have to really work out of this location as I will be mostly working from client sites. Love to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: