Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
NooYowker81 we finally agree on something. Hamilton Heights is part of Harlem. and Washington Heights does start at 155th St. Morningside Heights is also part of Harlem.

The map that Seventhfloor put up on another thread is a much more accurate map. Maybe he will put it on this thread.
I didn't realize we disagreed so much,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Thanks for the replys. I surprised that Noho seperates the East village and Greenwich village. I though it was a sub-neighborhood of the East village like Alphabet City. This is what I have come to find about Manhattan's neighborhoos;
East Village: Broadway to the East River and Houston to 14th st. Sub-neighborhoods include Noho and Alphabet City
Greenwich Village: Broadway to the Hudson and Houston to 14th st. Sub-neighborhoods include the meatpacking district.
Chelsea: Fifth ave to the Hudson and 14th st to 34th st.
Clinton: 8th ave to the Hudson and 34 th st to 59th st.
LES: Bowery to the East River and Grand st to Houston st. Chinatown overlaps by covering the part of the LES from Delancey st to Grand st.
Little Italy: From Grand to Canal only including Mulberry and Mott sts, then above Grand it is goes from the Bowery to Lafayette (Nolita).
Chinatown: Delancey or Grand to Chambers st./Park Row and W. Broadway to East Broadway to where it meets Grand st.
Murray Hill/Kips Bay: 1st ave to 5th ave above 29th 1st ave to Park below 29th st, from 42nd st. to 23rd st.
Gramercy: 1st ave to Park and 23rd to 14th aves.
Soho: Lafayette to the Hudson and Houston to Canal sts.

Best try at it anyway.....
You've got a good handle on it. Now, just wait for it to change again!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
There's a world outside Manhattan?! This is shocking.. appalling! Breaking news!!

I find that a lot of people who don't live in Manhattan don't even know the names of most of the neighborhoods and say they're going to a certain street, or refer to it as uptown, midtown, and downtown.
Uh oh...have I revealed a secret I wasn't supposed to?

Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Let's see. I've personally never heard of Ft. George, rather Ft. Washington.

I was also surprised to see The Heights starting at 145th rather than in the 50's.

ABC City is obviously Alphabet City. Do they even use that phrase anymore now that its become gentrified?

I grew up in Yorkville and we always knew it to go the length of York Avenue, which goes down into the 60's. But that was what it was in the 80's, when it was a mixture of very wealthy and very working class/poor people that had lived there for generations (the true NY "neighborhood" types).

Old 08-12-2008, 06:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Greenwich Village?
-Is the West Village part of Greenwich village?
-Is the central village the new Greenwich village separated from the West Village?
I categorize the whole area as "The Village" broken up into Greenwich Village, West Village and East Village. West Village is West of Greenwich Avenue. I have never heard of "Central Village", it doesn't exist.

Quote:
If you live in a sub-neighborhood (Carnegie Hill in the UES) which one would you categorize as where you live?
Upper East Side

Quote:
Is Hells Kitchen officially renamed Clinton? Or is Hells Kitchen the southern side of Mid-town west and Clinton the northside?
No, all of Hell's Kitchen is now Clinton.

Quote:
What is the area north of Murray Hill, but south of the UES called? Is it just midtown-east?
Yes, that's Midtown.

Quote:
Has Morningside Heights broken away from Harlem to be a distinct area for itself?
Yes, I would say so. It was always its own separate area.

Quote:
What are the boundaries of Harlem, minus morningside heights.
Harlem's boundaries are as follows: Hudson River from 155th to 123rd, then east on 123rd to morningside avenue, south on morningside avenue to 110th, then east on 110th to 5th avenue, then north on 5th avenue to 142nd and fdr drive, then north on fdr drive to 155th, then west on 155th to the hudson.

Quote:
Where does Spanish Harlem border with the UES?
East 96th Street

Quote:
Is NoHo part of the East Village?
No. NoHo is North of Houston, East Village term is reserved for the neighborhood bounded by Lafayette Street, East Houston Street, Allen Street, and Grand Street.

Quote:
What are the real and actual boundaries of Chinatown currently? How does that work with the LES? If no overlap is used, the LES is pretty damn small.
Chinatown's boundaries are as follows:
north: delancey street
south: east broadway
east: essex street
west: broadway

LES boundaries are East Houston Street, Bowery, and FDR Drive.

Quote:
How far as gentrification progressed in Mott Haven?
Port Morris is actually where the gentrification started, gentrification in Mott Haven at this point is minimal.

Quote:
Do you believe the area around the new Yankee stadium will gentrify?
Yes, in about 20 years

Quote:
I know the club scene in Manhattan is dispersed, but what area would you consider a substantial club strip, not counting that st. in Chelsea where Bugalow 8 is currently located?
West 21st Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I categorize the whole area as "The Village" broken up into Greenwich Village, West Village and East Village. West Village is West of Greenwich Avenue. I have never heard of "Central Village", it doesn't exist.

Upper East Side

No, all of Hell's Kitchen is now Clinton.

Yes, that's Midtown.

Yes, I would say so. It was always its own separate area.

Harlem's boundaries are as follows: Hudson River from 155th to 123rd, then east on 123rd to morningside avenue, south on morningside avenue to 110th, then east on 110th to 5th avenue, then north on 5th avenue to 142nd and fdr drive, then north on fdr drive to 155th, then west on 155th to the hudson.

East 96th Street

No. NoHo is North of Houston, East Village term is reserved for the neighborhood bounded by Lafayette Street, East Houston Street, Allen Street, and Grand Street.

Chinatown's boundaries are as follows:
north: delancey street
south: east broadway
east: essex street
west: broadway

LES boundaries are East Houston Street, Bowery, and FDR Drive.

Port Morris is actually where the gentrification started, gentrification in Mott Haven at this point is minimal.

Yes, in about 20 years

West 21st Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.

Right on...... many thanks, you definitely know your stuff!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
ABC City is obviously Alphabet City. Do they even use that phrase anymore now that its become gentrified?
Yeah, I call it that now because "East Village" seems like such a misnomer to me, because it's never been a part of Greenwich Village historically. Other people do, too--people who live there who aren't afraid of the NYPD Blue association of the name, haha. I had family on the Puerto Rican side living there when I was younger, and we called it the Lower East side--or Loisaida when speaking spanish. Now walking through that neighborhood and experiencing it's new character, it's hard to call it that anymore, haha.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I have a question about these Manhattan neighborhood designations. I see that Hamilton Heights now apparently gets recognition. Is this a new name for what used to be called Sugar Hill?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Yeah, I call it that now because "East Village" seems like such a misnomer to me, because it's never been a part of Greenwich Village historically. Other people do, too--people who live there who aren't afraid of the NYPD Blue association of the name, haha. I had family on the Puerto Rican side living there when I was younger, and we called it the Lower East side--or Loisaida when speaking spanish. Now walking through that neighborhood and experiencing it's new character, it's hard to call it that anymore, haha.
Avenue D would definitely fall into the LES category, but even the side streets from D to C are basically "East Village" now HAHA.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I have a question about these Manhattan neighborhood designations. I see that Hamilton Heights now apparently gets recognition. Is this a new name for what used to be called Sugar Hill?
It was always officially Hamilton Heights. Sugar Hill is a nickname that was given to area in the 1920's Harlem Renaissance era, because famous black people like Paul Robeson, Countee Cullen, and others lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City