Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times

Advertisements

Personally, I like Prospect Heights and Bed-Stuy. Both have very attractive properties on varying blocks. The thing with Brooklyn and especially the Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy, Prospect Heights and Crown Heights area is that you can live in the area, get a nice apartment in a nice section of the neighborhood and never experience anything negative. You can also end up on a block that has consistent issues. In Bed-Stuy, I would preferably stay closer to the Fulton Vicinity...MacDonoguh, Macon, Decatur, Bainbridge etc. Those blocks have basically catered to more professionals then blocks further in like Madison or Hart Street.

Prospect Heights is really a very small area and it is very easy to get into a good location in that neighborhood. On Washington Avenue, it can get a little rougher and I believe the closer you get to Atlantic may not be ideal but all in all, a neighborhood that has good amenities and too me, fairly safe. There are complaints at times from people on another BB, but I believe they are centered around certain buildings in Prospect Heights and some things that have occured around the Franklin Avenue Station, as well as on Washington. As a note, Franklin Avenue is an express stop but it is not the stop for Prospect Heights. The Prospect Heights stop is basically a local stop on the 2 or 3 train (Eastern Parkway | Brooklyn Musuem or Grand Army Plaza) or the Seventh Avenue stop on the Q train. Even the Botanical Garden stop on the shuttle is actually in Crown Heights.

And to be honest, I don't know how many safety issues a woman would have in these areas so I probably am not the best one to respond, as I rarely see women having any real safety issues in the neighborhoods, as long as basic rules are followed like catching a cab when you are coming home late at night or having someone meet you at the train or bus stop etc. I cannot respond to catcalls or someone yelling "Shorty can I talk too you for a minute ", since that occurs all over the city and if that is considered a safety issue, then I would not look into any neighborhoods that I mentioned because it will eventually happen.

The best thing to do though is to explore the various neighborhoods and see how comfortable you are in them, then you would know which ones are worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Prospect Heights is actually a fairly recent creation, as always, by the real estate industry. Originally, Park Slope was considered to be located on both sides of Flatbush Avenue. Now, if you're below Flatbush you're in Park Slope, and if you're above Flatbush it's Prospect Heights. It's always tough to generalize, but the closer you are to Flatbush Avenue and Grand Army Plaza, the more expensive things are in Prospect Heights.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,570 times
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think from your first post you were looking for diversity? Isn't bed-stuy pretty much 85 percent african american?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM

197 posts, read 895,181 times
Clinton Hill has decent areas in it. It is convenient to the city and you can easy get by without a car there. However some of the nicer renovated apartments there can be more pricey than $1300 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City