Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:25 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,543 times

Advertisements

Great thanks so much for the link. Although I have the money for a $40 entree...I have to say that I'm a tightwad with my money lol....so I will probably save this place for a very special occasion...and SPLIT the plate with my b/f haha . There is a reason I have a savings. I will, however, be strolling by there this week to see what it's all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 12:31 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,592 times
you're welcome. yeah. I like to go out to eat, but would rather save the more expensive places for a special occasion too. Plus, I like to get wine and an appetizer, maybe desert so it adds up. I mean it looks like many of the entrees are affordable, so it's not too bad.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM

629 posts, read 901,474 times
Page3000, Most of these people posting here, couldn't have read all my postings. I did get nasty last night with some of my postings. But some people said things or tried twisting what I was saying. Or maybe they just misunderstand. I also dont LOVE or HATE NYC. Just like last night, when I said that u almost have to jump from neighborhood to neighborhood to find different types of food. Someone is always going to chime in, and say that they KNOW of a ITALIAN place etc. And Im sure there are some of the best restaurants or take outs say in Mannhattan. Now, am I got to walk to the train, wait for the train, go into Mannhattan, eat say a good sandwich, or pasta dish, or whatever, then come all the way back into Flushing? If I go into Mannhattan, I'm going to make an afternoon or evening out of it. I'm not going to travel an hr plus, to grab a bite to eat. I think most people would do the same. This is my opinon, but city living is suppose to be convienent. If not, why put up with all the cons of city living. Most cities have both, car oriented and walkable neighborhoods. Alot of queens to me, is kinda of car oriented. I'm not saying u cant wait for a bus, or train (in some parts), but alot of times in aint worth it. Example I wait for a bus to take me to the Blockbuster's in Bayside. Roundtrip it takes over an hr, between waiting for the bus and travelling. I walk into Blockbusters, grab my movies, I'm in and out in less the 5 mins. Now when I drive it, rountrip is 20 minutes or less. What would most people do? Drive it probably, right? The same idea goes for take out food. Page 3000 was giving and honest answer. I hate to repeat myself, Queens is the most diverse borough, but, the neighborhoods, really aint. It's like each neighborhood has it's own ethnic group. I'm not knocking NYC. But alot of queens, needs to get more 21 century. I havent seen a Barnes and Nobles, Borders, Blockbusters, etc. U know when its raining out, I like going into a bookstore,buying a coffee , and kill a few hrs. I aint talking about trying to turn Queens or NYC into some subburbon strip mall. But alot of the stores I see here, I dont know, there like useless. I'm not trying to offend anyone or NYC. Like the laudromauts around here, most of them are borderline disgusting. Not all, but most the ones I been in. They need to invest in things that. I know u guys are going to laugh or rip me apart for saying this. But Chicago, for the most part, even in bad neighborhoods like Austin, has WORLD CLASS LAUNDRMATS (im kidding about the world class). But the standard for things like that are way higher. I hear some of u guys already "GO to Chicago to wash ur clothes then"! Philly is as bad or worse than here. I'm just trying to point out differences between here and other places. I've said this more times than u can shake a stick, I only stick up for the rest of america when someone starts bashing other places. There are pros and cons, to every city or town in the world. Whether it's bad weather, economy, cost of living, etc. NYC is no exception to the rule. If the pros out weigh the cons, u stay, if not, u move on. Your pros, might be my cons, or vise versa. I guess u could call me a PATRIOT (not a NEW ENGLAND one though). By the way, u can bash BOSTON, the people of BOSTON, especially the PATRIOTS, TOM BRADY and BILL BELICHEC (dont know how to spell his last name) all u want. In fact, I'll probably join in on that one LOL. Life exist outside of NYC. And when u say, everywhere sucks or is farmland, it gets people mad. U my think this is the greatest city on earth, but that doesnt mean everyone does. Keep that in mind went u start bashing other cities. Hey, I think Detroit is one big ghetto, I'm sure there're people who live there and love it. Alot of people define NYC by Mannhattan. Well the population of Mannhattan is 1.6 million people. So, if Mannhattan was still only NYC (like before they annexed the outer bouroughs), cities like Philly and Phoenix would be bigger. Alot of people who live in Mannhattan, live, work, and play there, right? All in that 24 sq mile island (dont forget that includes Harlem). So when they say other cities are small, how much travelling around this 327 sq mile city are u actually doing? This could be said for any city of course. NYC is no different. It just seems alot of people made postings here that sound real eletist. And kinda of hickish if u ask me.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Page3000, Most of these people posting here, couldn't have read all my postings. I did get nasty last night with some of my postings. But some people said things or tried twisting what I was saying. Or maybe they just misunderstand. I also dont LOVE or HATE NYC. Just like last night, when I said that u almost have to jump from neighborhood to neighborhood to find different types of food. Someone is always going to chime in, and say that they KNOW of a ITALIAN place etc. And Im sure there are some of the best restaurants or take outs say in Mannhattan. Now, am I got to walk to the train, wait for the train, go into Mannhattan, eat say a good sandwich, or pasta dish, or whatever, then come all the way back into Flushing? If I go into Mannhattan, I'm going to make an afternoon or evening out of it. I'm not going to travel an hr plus, to grab a bite to eat. I think most people would do the same. This is my opinon, but city living is suppose to be convienent. If not, why put up with all the cons of city living. Most cities have both, car oriented and walkable neighborhoods. Alot of queens to me, is kinda of car oriented. I'm not saying u cant wait for a bus, or train (in some parts), but alot of times in aint worth it. Example I wait for a bus to take me to the Blockbuster's in Bayside. Roundtrip it takes over an hr, between waiting for the bus and travelling. I walk into Blockbusters, grab my movies, I'm in and out in less the 5 mins. Now when I drive it, rountrip is 20 minutes or less. What would most people do? Drive it probably, right? The same idea goes for take out food. Page 3000 was giving and honest answer. I hate to repeat myself, Queens is the most diverse borough, but, the neighborhoods, really aint. It's like each neighborhood has it's own ethnic group. I'm not knocking NYC. But alot of queens, needs to get more 21 century. I havent seen a Barnes and Nobles, Borders, Blockbusters, etc. U know when its raining out, I like going into a bookstore,buying a coffee , and kill a few hrs. I aint talking about trying to turn Queens or NYC into some subburbon strip mall. But alot of the stores I see here, I dont know, there like useless. I'm not trying to offend anyone or NYC. Like the laudromauts around here, most of them are borderline disgusting. Not all, but most the ones I been in. They need to invest in things that. I know u guys are going to laugh or rip me apart for saying this. But Chicago, for the most part, even in bad neighborhoods like Austin, has WORLD CLASS LAUNDRMATS (im kidding about the world class). But the standard for things like that are way higher. I hear some of u guys already "GO to Chicago to wash ur clothes then"! Philly is as bad or worse than here. I'm just trying to point out differences between here and other places. I've said this more times than u can shake a stick, I only stick up for the rest of america when someone starts bashing other places. There are pros and cons, to every city or town in the world. Whether it's bad weather, economy, cost of living, etc. NYC is no exception to the rule. If the pros out weigh the cons, u stay, if not, u move on. Your pros, might be my cons, or vise versa. I guess u could call me a PATRIOT (not a NEW ENGLAND one though). By the way, u can bash BOSTON, the people of BOSTON, especially the PATRIOTS, TOM BRADY and BILL BELICHEC (dont know how to spell his last name) all u want. In fact, I'll probably join in on that one LOL. Life exist outside of NYC. And when u say, everywhere sucks or is farmland, it gets people mad. U my think this is the greatest city on earth, but that doesnt mean everyone does. Keep that in mind went u start bashing other cities. Hey, I think Detroit is one big ghetto, I'm sure there're people who live there and love it. Alot of people define NYC by Mannhattan. Well the population of Mannhattan is 1.6 million people. So, if Mannhattan was still only NYC (like before they annexed the outer bouroughs), cities like Philly and Phoenix would be bigger. Alot of people who live in Mannhattan, live, work, and play there, right? All in that 24 sq mile island (dont forget that includes Harlem). So when they say other cities are small, how much travelling around this 327 sq mile city are u actually doing? This could be said for any city of course. NYC is no different. It just seems alot of people made postings here that sound real eletist. And kinda of hickish if u ask me.
You keep mentioning Flushing. That is just one part of Queens. Yes, many parts of Queens are dominated by one ethnic group, but there are parts that are diverse. I keep mentioning my area in Astoria. I am minutes from the best foods from all over the world. My area is filled with many different ethnic groups.

Eastern Queens doesn't have good subway access so yes you need a car. Western Queens you really don't need a car. I also have a Blockbuster, coffee shops, Home Depot very close by.

I think there are pros and cons of every area, but IMO your posts are just hating on Queens for no reason. If you live in Western Queens it's more congested, but you don't need a car. If you live in Eastern Queens it is less congested a bit more suburban, but you don't have access to mass transportation.

It's all about what people want and need. I guess I just don't see the point of your posts.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM

112 posts, read 325,884 times
Quote:
What is the point of your posts?

Why are you targeting New York? What you're saying applies to any other city in the country so I don't get it.

Oh well.. Thankfully, I don't care.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:29 PM

Hating on Queens? U know what, it's impossible to say anything about queens or NYC without u taking u guys getting offended. I thought I said everything real delicate. How much sugar coating does someone have to do? Yes there are blockbusters in Queens. I go to the one in Bayside. But they are far and few between. I looked on the computer at both Barnes and Nobles, and Borders. One of them I think had 1 or 2 in all of queens. Mind u there's over 2.2 million people here. Home Depot? To be honest, I'd have no use for that place. I dont expect u to get the point of any of my posts. Our minds obvisiously think differently. Funny thing though, check on the board. There a natieve ny'er talking about how Brooklyn is going down the tubes, etc. If u dont know why I even posted to begin with, u didnt read enough of my posts. Then a guy asked last night about nyc being a play ground for the rich. Read all them posts. Funny some of them people jumped all over my postings. But them posted alot of what I was saying. Better yet, they were waaay more dramatic. After reading some of their postings, I almost grabbed my labtop and ran outta my apt. I thought the city was BURNING DOWN! LOL. It all comes down to, alot of NYC is over rated. That's it, plain and simple. NYC is not alone. I personally think that SAN FRAN, BOSTON, MIAMI, and a few others are too. It comes down to quality of life for an average person. That's it. Sure there are some great ,exciting neighborhoods, some of the best in the world here. But being able to afford to live in them, or having easy access (meaning time travelled to and fro) is a different story. I've stayed in the neighborhood of College Point. Which really reminded me of being back in Pittsburgh. The rents there are not cheap. And they roll their sidewalks up there pretty early. The Dukin Donuts closes at 10 pm. That's early by any cities standard. Now they do have a few nice (really nice actually) bars over there. But, for the most part, their pretty dead. To me, that neighborhood felt like a holdout. It seemed like there was alot of people who were born and raised there. But it was kinda dead and almost isolated. I wish i could take all u guys on plane rides across the great country of ours. Show u different neighborhoods in different cities. Alot of u guys i think would be surprised what u would see. Alot of u guys would probably say, " My man, u were right, and I can see what u were talking about". I'm sure I wouldnt change any of your minds about NYC. But that was never my purpose. And I'm sure u guys would all want to remain living here. But maybe, just maybe, u'd see that life isn't so bad in some other cities too. That's my POINT! And as far as the food goes here, it's iffy. Mannhattan has some of the best restaurants and chefs in the world, no one can argue differently. But, dont forget your wallet either. They aint giving that stuff away. There's alot of cheap take out here. Some of it's good, alot of it aint. I grabbed some Chinese take out last night. I end up throwing half of it out. The worst General TSO's I ever had. Alot of the take out is just cheap. And what's up with all these business's selling luke warm beverages. I have to put almost every drink on ice here. Hey electric is expensive everywhere, TOUGH! I like my drinks cold! I know, u guys will probably tell me that every berverage u buy here, has FROST on it! And it's so cold, that u have to wear clothes just to take a drink!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Hating on Queens? U know what, it's impossible to say anything about queens or NYC without u taking u guys getting offended. I thought I said everything real delicate. How much sugar coating does someone have to do? Yes there are blockbusters in Queens. I go to the one in Bayside. But they are far and few between. I looked on the computer at both Barnes and Nobles, and Borders. One of them I think had 1 or 2 in all of queens. Mind u there's over 2.2 million people here. Home Depot? To be honest, I'd have no use for that place. I dont expect u to get the point of any of my posts. Our minds obvisiously think differently. Funny thing though, check on the board. There a natieve ny'er talking about how Brooklyn is going down the tubes, etc. If u dont know why I even posted to begin with, u didnt read enough of my posts. Then a guy asked last night about nyc being a play ground for the rich. Read all them posts. Funny some of them people jumped all over my postings. But them posted alot of what I was saying. Better yet, they were waaay more dramatic. After reading some of their postings, I almost grabbed my labtop and ran outta my apt. I thought the city was BURNING DOWN! LOL. It all comes down to, alot of NYC is over rated. That's it, plain and simple. NYC is not alone. I personally think that SAN FRAN, BOSTON, MIAMI, and a few others are too. It comes down to quality of life for an average person. That's it. Sure there are some great ,exciting neighborhoods, some of the best in the world here. But being able to afford to live in them, or having easy access (meaning time travelled to and fro) is a different story. I've stayed in the neighborhood of College Point. Which really reminded me of being back in Pittsburgh. The rents there are not cheap. And they roll their sidewalks up there pretty early. The Dukin Donuts closes at 10 pm. That's early by any cities standard. Now they do have a few nice (really nice actually) bars over there. But, for the most part, their pretty dead. To me, that neighborhood felt like a holdout. It seemed like there was alot of people who were born and raised there. But it was kinda dead and almost isolated. I wish i could take all u guys on plane rides across the great country of ours. Show u different neighborhoods in different cities. Alot of u guys i think would be surprised what u would see. Alot of u guys would probably say, " My man, u were right, and I can see what u were talking about". I'm sure I wouldnt change any of your minds about NYC. But that was never my purpose. And I'm sure u guys would all want to remain living here. But maybe, just maybe, u'd see that life isn't so bad in some other cities too. That's my POINT! And as far as the food goes here, it's iffy. Mannhattan has some of the best restaurants and chefs in the world, no one can argue differently. But, dont forget your wallet either. They aint giving that stuff away. There's alot of cheap take out here. Some of it's good, alot of it aint. I grabbed some Chinese take out last night. I end up throwing half of it out. The worst General TSO's I ever had. Alot of the take out is just cheap. And what's up with all these business's selling luke warm beverages. I have to put almost every drink on ice here. Hey electric is expensive everywhere, TOUGH! I like my drinks cold! I know, u guys will probably tell me that every berverage u buy here, has FROST on it! And it's so cold, that u have to wear clothes just to take a drink!
I have been to other cities and countries. I like other cities a lot!! Traveling is one of my favorite things to do. I want to see the world!! I just don't get your point. Every city have pros and cons. I like traveling to other places, but I wouldn't live there. Mainly because my family is here, but also because NY just has something..something I guess I can't explain. It's a part of me. I just love it here. It's home. But I never said anything bad about other cities, so I don't get the point of your post.

Where I live in Queens, it takes me 10 minutes to get into the Manhattan. I am close by to anything I need. I don't need a car. I'm less than 10 minutes to work. It's great. You just seem to go on and on and on. If you don't like NY that's fine, don't live here. I just don't get the point of the posts. I don't think it's overrated. Maybe for some people, but it's perfect for me. Everyone is different. it's all about preferences.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 PM

I had a typo. Meant to say "And it's so cold, that u have to wear GLOVES just to take a drink"!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM

jax78, please read through all my post. If u were born and raised here, nobody is telling u to move. I said that many times in my posts. If u werent born and raised here, nobody is telling u to move.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM

I dont think for whatever reason, maybe we just have different mind sets, u'll never get me, and vice versa. 10 min commute, thats great. So, u walk out of your apt at say 12:00 noon, and your on the streets of Mannhattan at 12:10, thats great. Good location. U really should, read every post and respone ,before telling them what they were supposely telling u to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City