Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 PM

70 posts, read 174,546 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are going to the city for a day to visit and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on areas where I can nurse my daughter in private. She won't take a bottle so it will be a challenge. I usually nurse in our car but since we'll be in the city taking the train that won't be an option. I would appreciate any suggestions or advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Im only a man, but can't you nurse the baby in restrooms?

Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Im only a man, but can't you nurse the baby in restrooms?
If it were that easy, she probably wouldn't be asking. I'm not a mom but I can't imagine that it would be easy to go into a toilet stall where you normally wouldn't even want to sit down if you are alone, bring your baby and all your baby stuff into a tiny stall, shut the door and sit on the toilet and try to breastfeed.

To the OP - maybe some of the higher end baby goods stores would have a place to breastfeed? Like littlefolksnyc.com ?

I would imagine that some of the more child-friendly museums and tourist attractions would offer a place . . .but I don't know firsthand.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I actually had to ask my sisters-in-law about this and came up with a couple of places, depending upon where you will be in the city. Babies R Us in Union Square has a designated nursing room with gliders, chairs, changing tables, etc. The Gap on Lexington Avenue at 58th has changing rooms in its maternity department with chairs and all. Buy Buy Baby on 7th at 25th also has a couple of designated nursing rooms with gliders.

Now, aside from dedicated nursing rooms, they suggested that you might go to higher-end department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue or higher-end hotels that have bathroom/lounge facilities, as there are usually chairs upon which you may sit and it's not the same as being in public, since you're surrounded by other ladies.

Some museums also have nice, clean facilities that can be another option for nursing, and some restaurants do as well. Tavern on the Green, for example, has clean restrooms in Central Park, and I believe that they are required to be accessible to the public as a quirk of their lease with the city for being in the park, so you need not be a patron at that moment to avail yourself of them. Starbucks also will happily grant access to the rest room as well for nursing mothers, especially after the bad press they received a couple of years ago for asking nursing mothers to move to a private place.

And, just remember, by law you are entitled to nurse wherever you feel it is appropriate for your baby, even if it is in public. I do, however, understand the nature of wanting to keep it private/semi-private as that is what the mothers in my family have chosen to do as well. I hope that this helps give you some ideas as to where you may find places.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 AM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
why don't you use a breast pump, and take the milk in a bottle?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-17-2008, 04:10 PM

101 posts, read 300,742 times
Just wear a nursing type garment. and a skirt or pants and top. you can nurse discretely so 'nothing shows'

Old 08-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I actually had to ask my sisters-in-law about this and came up with a couple of places, depending upon where you will be in the city. Babies R Us in Union Square has a designated nursing room with gliders, chairs, changing tables, etc. The Gap on Lexington Avenue at 58th has changing rooms in its maternity department with chairs and all. Buy Buy Baby on 7th at 25th also has a couple of designated nursing rooms with gliders.

Now, aside from dedicated nursing rooms, they suggested that you might go to higher-end department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue or higher-end hotels that have bathroom/lounge facilities, as there are usually chairs upon which you may sit and it's not the same as being in public, since you're surrounded by other ladies.

Some museums also have nice, clean facilities that can be another option for nursing, and some restaurants do as well. Tavern on the Green, for example, has clean restrooms in Central Park, and I believe that they are required to be accessible to the public as a quirk of their lease with the city for being in the park, so you need not be a patron at that moment to avail yourself of them. Starbucks also will happily grant access to the rest room as well for nursing mothers, especially after the bad press they received a couple of years ago for asking nursing mothers to move to a private place.

And, just remember, by law you are entitled to nurse wherever you feel it is appropriate for your baby, even if it is in public. I do, however, understand the nature of wanting to keep it private/semi-private as that is what the mothers in my family have chosen to do as well. I hope that this helps give you some ideas as to where you may find places.
bmwguydc,

Thank you so so much for your tips. You have been so helpful. I appreciate it!
Wow, awesome tips for locations.!!
Thanks again!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Any store dressing/fitting room. Macys has good ones and no one checks up on how long you're in there, but any will do.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
why don't you use a breast pump, and take the milk in a bottle?
Well, as I wrote on my original post she wont take a bottle that is why I have to nurse exclusively. I'm a stay at home mom so pumping was not something she got used to.. Thank you though.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM

12 posts, read 71,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

Fantastic answer, I had to reply to your post instead of giving you a positive rating, because I had already given you a thumbs up in another post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: