Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times

Advertisements

have you ever met any native New Yorkers that dont really have the NYC accent?

just a neutral accent like California or west coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I really have no discernible accent. There used to be a teeny bit of Pennsylvania Dutch (uplift on the last syllable) but I managed to dumpp that during college. I've been the last 40 years in Manhattan and Jersey City and never picked up any of those accents which can be quite weid: adults tend not to pick up new accents.)

Nobody can tell where I'm from by my speech.

A language teacher I had said that most area accents can be detected by saying the three words: merry, Mary and marry. He said VERY few people say all three distinctively different.
I did, but only because of a SLIGHT accidental cheat. The year before a friend detected that I was saying he words fairy and ferry the same (only becasue I needed a ferry to get out of Chester PA) so I stamped out the bad habit. And of course that extended to merry and Mary. My teacher though I was faking becasue I was the only one in Eastern PA who prounced the two differently.

A couple of students actually pronounced the three words IDENTICALLY and could not recognize they were doing it. I had a freshman roommate from Northern new Jersey who pronounced LORE and LAW exaclty the same. and he denied it saying over and over: "One is pronounced lore and the other is pronounced lore." I think I made him do it 500 times, I got such a kick out of it.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-08-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
People I know from Manhattan usually don't have much of an accent. The people I know that are from the boroughs usually do have a pretty noticeable accent. I like to have fun with New Yorkers that have a heavy accent by having them say the phrase "there's a flaw in the floor". They usually get it backwards.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
People I know from Manhattan usually don't have much of an accent. The people I know that are from the boroughs usually do have a pretty noticeable accent. I like to have fun with New Yorkers that have a heavy accent by having them say the phrase "there's a flaw in the floor". They usually get it backwards.
They might say you have it backwards. British "Received Pronounciation" (the way British newscasters speak) is a non-rhotic dialect with intrusive R, which means they'd pronounce an "r" after "flaw" and not pronounce an "r" in "floor". The classic New York accent shares these features. Though nowadays even local NY newscasters speak mostly "General American".

Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
OMG, where ever I go, like "Palm Springs" this past summer, they know where I am from. LOL

can't help it, that the way I talk. My sons don't really, to me, have the Brooklyn accent that much. IDK, maybe they do, but I can't hear it.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
some people from manhattan whose
parent(s) may not have been natives.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
I grew up in New York, but don't think I have a strong accent. The common thing I get called out for when I'm with someone not native is when I say I'm standing "on line" instead of in line. In line just sounds really wrong to me... I say tag sale instead of yard sale, and other regional things like that that I'm just too used to saying to ever change.

In terms of accent, I guess there are some words (I say sure like shore and not sher - not sure whether that's a regional thing as well) as well as things like dog, coffee, etc, but I don't think I say it much differently than most. I can definitely enhance/hide an accent if I'm cognitive of it.

My parents accents are much thicker (they grew up in the Bronx).

Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
I just never understood what an accent is, because to be an accent there has to be some widely recognized version of "normal" speech--something that the accent is a variant on. But what is that "normal" in the U.S.? Has hanyone ever codified it or made it official in any way, like the BBC broadcasters mentioned above?

If not, you can listen to Elliot Spitzer, Rosie Perez, Charlie Rangel, and Joe Torre, and who's to say that one is "correct" English (New York or otherwise) and one is speaking with an accent?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I just never understood what an accent is, because to be an accent there has to be some widely recognized version of "normal" speech--something that the accent is a variant on. But what is that "normal" in the U.S.? Has hanyone ever codified it or made it official in any way, like the BBC broadcasters mentioned above?

If not, you can listen to Elliot Spitzer, Rosie Perez, Charlie Rangel, and Joe Torre, and who's to say that one is "correct" English (New York or otherwise) and one is speaking with an accent?
This.

My husband is not originally from the US though he has lived in NYC for over 20 years.

At times, he'll get asked where his accent is from. His typical response is one of "shock" where he goes "I have an accent???"

(Like Men in Tights - "I have a mole??")

Old 11-09-2012, 09:49 AM

188 posts, read 276,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
have you ever met any native New Yorkers that dont really have the NYC accent?

just a neutral accent like California or west coast?
have u ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: