Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

I grew up near Philly, and root for all Philadelphia teams as far as sports go. I worked in Center City Philadelphia for more than a decade. But I like New York better. Philadelphia has great restaurants. New York's are more varied and better. Entertainment venues are much better in New York. The public transit system is exponentially better. I know New York is no nirvana, but it seems as if it "works" a little better than Philly; Philly's public incompetence and corruption is a bit more matter-of-fact than that of New York, which at least tries to give the impression of being a professionally run, world-class city. Philly does have a much more manageable cost of living than NYC.

Believe it or not, although I hate New York cops, while most Philly cops I have dealt with are more professional and personable, New York, at least in midtown Manhattan and the areas most like it, is much safer than center city Philly.

New York just looks better, and the women there are exponentially hotter than those in Philadelphia, some of which are the ugliest females I have ever encountered.

New York women = the type of woman I would love to get to know better.

Philadelphia women = the kind of woman I would want on my side in a fight.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The comparison of crime statistics does not warrant a dismissial of Philadlphia's crime rate, equivocating its size to Brooklyn, because by the same token, one could expand the area they consider Philadelphia and include Camden, NJ, which is just across the Delaware River as Brooklyn is from Manhattan, to make the greater Philadelphia area more dangerous by comparison. It's not one that I would tend to make, since Camden is self-contained and has a separate law enforcement agency that handles the jurisdiction, while Brooklyn shares the same agency, the NYPD, so it's not as easy to dismiss the lower crime rate, overall, in Brooklyn.

There are some great areas in Philadelphia, and one is generally safe on the streets, but it is relatively easy to end up in not so nice areas, even today. Fishtown is generally fine as is University City, however, outside of those areas in North and West Philadelphia, respectively, are some dangerous areas. Things are improving, even in historically higher crime enclaves of the city, and I know that Philadelphia is turning a corner and the future looks very good. Even "The Badlands" are beginning to loosen the stranglehold that crime has had on the area for decades.

Moreover, I know that I most certainly am not putting down, nor are most New Yorkers that I know; and, by the same token, most are not afraid of Philadelphia, but some transplants are because they don't know much about the city. Well, let's be honest, the transplants tend not to know too much about New York's history either, when it went through the phase in which Philadelphia now finds itself, turning a corner from neglect and crime and back into a vibrant city. Now, if only something could be done to settle the cheesesteak "war" between Pat's and Geno's, Philadelphia would be all set!
I would not include Fishtown in the list of "fine" neighborhoods, especially if you are not white. Very dangerous for people of color.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:37 PM

629 posts, read 901,474 times
Ouch, Philly aint even in the top 10 most US visited cities. Nothing WORLD CLASS about that stat. But, on a positive note for Philly, many cities around America are have trouble in beating them in the "body count". In fact, 'FORBES' just rated Philly, "The Best City in America to be an Undertaker in". So it aint all bad. The 'FORBES' writer said, "Ya, them guys in Philly might be considered ugly, but nobody can SHOOT as strait as them".

Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I saw the movie. I don't own it. It was filmed on the Southside and in the Strip District. The strip district could be any formerly industrial/warehouse area in any big city. It certainly doesn't look like many places in South Philly. The southside doesn't even have rowhouses! It doesn't look like South Philly on film or in person and it certainly doesn't feel like it. Conshohocken, sure. Phoenixville or West Chester, maybe.

South Philly

Now find me a row of brownstone townhouses in Pittsburgh -

This is from the southside, note the housing style on the left hand side of the street.
Mexican War Streets, North Side.........

Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 PM

I told him to look at the mexican war street rowhomes. He never did respond to me after that. I assume he saw them, and knew he was wrong. I don't think he knew Pittsburgh as well as he thought he did.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Philadelphia residents were voted the ugliest in America.
This vote is a joke. Speaking as a heterosexual male I can vouch for upwards of 100,000 beautiful ladies a day walking the streets of Center City on a daily basis. I mean give me a break with this nonsense. My head is on a swivel walking down Walnut + Sansom Streets.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
The whole poll about ugliest city is complete bull. Have they seen all 1.5 million people that live in the city of Philadelphia? Philly does have a lot of dog faces but Ive seen some very attractive people too.There are ugly and beautiful people everywhere. And coming from NYC, I will say that not everyone there is beautiful but they do know how to dress to make themselves appear more attractive.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:31 PM

UGLY people are attracted to UGLYpeople. They had a scientific study done up at Harvard and that's what they found out. That's like saying that the Eagles are a good football team. Philly aint all that bad, hey, you guys are leading in the 'body count'. I think it was a guy from Philly who just took 'GOLD' at the olympics, in 'rifle shooting'. He said in an interview "I praticed alot in the streets of Philly".

Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
DITC, I seen that. Travel + Leisure Magazine. I was so surprised to see that NYC and Chicago are only seperated by around 3 million visitors annually. I firgured NYC got way more than Chicago. But that does go to show that Chi-town aint the boring 'PRAIRIE' that some on here make it out to be.
Its also not up to par with NYC as you try to make it out to be. Not even close.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
UGLY people are attracted to UGLYpeople. They had a scientific study done up at Harvard and that's what they found out. That's like saying that the Eagles are a good football team. Philly aint all that bad, hey, you guys are leading in the 'body count'. I think it was a guy from Philly who just took 'GOLD' at the olympics, in 'rifle shooting'. He said in an interview "I praticed alot in the streets of Philly".
Are you off your meds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City