Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM

182 posts, read 511,773 times

Advertisements

So here's my deal...ultimately, I want to move to NYC, was planning on doing so after getting an accounting and finance degree.

Well, I'll be graduating with my Finance degree in May '10 (next spring), but from North Dakota State University I was planning on doing my accounting degree here too (probably an extra year and a half), but I've been thinking that if I do this, it doesn't give me much of a networking opportunity before graduating with the accounting degree. Obviously, if I finished my accounting degree at a New York school, I'd have the opportunity to network, go to career fairs, land an internship in New York MUCH MUCH MUCH easier than if I just sit around and apply online for NY internships from here. And a lot of times internships turn into job offers of course.

idk, maybe I just really want to move to New York City, and I'm letting that cloud my judgement. Let me know what you guys think? Also, I've heard good things about Baruch, but what other schools have accounting programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
You want to graduate with 2 degrees from 2 different universities? Not enough student debt for you?...

Also I should mention that on an entry-level accountant's salary, you cannot afford to live in Manhattan.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
You want to graduate with 2 degrees from 2 different universities? Not enough student debt for you?...
i'm not following...

Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
i'm not following...
You want a finance degree from a ND school, and an accounting degree from a NYC school

2 degrees
2 schools

Old 11-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You want a finance degree from a ND school, and an accounting degree from a NYC school

2 degrees
2 schools
yes, i understand that, but where are you going with that?

and yea i know, can't really afford to live in manhattan with any entry-level job.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdplaya View Post
yes, i understand that, but where are you going with that?
This is going to be expensive, and there is no guarantee that your credits will transfer. You should speak with someone who works at these schools to make sure.

The only reputable school for accounting is NYU, and that is expensive. Baruch is ok but it doesn't have nearly as strong of a network as NYU does.

Have you saved up money?

Old 11-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
This is going to be expensive, and there is no guarantee that your credits will transfer. You should speak with someone who works at these schools to make sure.

The only reputable school for accounting is NYU, and that is expensive. Baruch is ok but it doesn't have nearly as strong of a network as NYU does.

Have you saved up money?
for sure, i would NOT do this if I were to find out that credits don't transfer. right now, i only have around $64,000 saved up, so probably won't be able to make it.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:35 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
May I suggest that instead of getting a dual major, why don't you just go for an MBA? You are going to need to go to graduate school eventually so you might as well do that in your second interest-accounting. What are your grades like? Did you take the GMAT? What are your goals? Do you intend to become a CPA?

NYU is extremely competitive, but has a stellar reputation. I believe that they actually prefer admitting MBA students with a few years of full-time experience first. MBA programs can be extremely expensive and they require a lot of credits, especially at NYU. However, an advanced degree would help your career. There are quite a few other schools here that offer advanced degrees in business/finance/accounting, but of course they have lower status. Today, a bachelor's degree by itself does not carry very much weight.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 PM

I agree with Coney, and you would need at least 2+ years of experience if you don't want the admissions council at NYU to laugh at your application.

Why do you want to do accounting anyway? You'll need to explain this in your essay if you do decide go to the MBA route.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:39 AM

203 posts, read 664,799 times
I agree with Coney...rather than get another bachelors, you might as well get a masters. Baruch would definitely be a lot more affordable, I think it does have a decent reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: