Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 10,618 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NY (from a rural Massachusetts town) next month and will be working in lower Manhattan. I have 2 small children, ages 1 and 3, so living in a safe environment where my wife can walk with the kids to see interesting places is a big priority. I will be working heavy hours and will want to be as close to work (downtown) as possible in order to have more time at home.

My research indicates that Brooklyn Heights is good place to look (any idea how long subway ride to downtown takes?) Also I hear the Village in Manhattan is nice as well. I'd love to hear your feedback on these places or any other thoughts regrading kid friendly neighborhoods with low crime/good schools, etc, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Brooklyn Heights is about a 15 minute ride on the subway.

All the neighbourhoods on this map are within 30 minutes from Downtown:

http://www.smalltownbrooklyn.com/index.html

If money is not a problem, with two children, and coming from Western Massachusetts (I lived in Williamsburg), I'd personally recommend Park Slope. If you can find housing near 7th Avenue you'll have lots of shopping and not far from the Park, Museum and Botanical Gardens. There is also a cozy cafe on Union Street, between 7th & 6th Avenues, where young mothers gather regularly for chat and support.

Clinton and Carroll Gardens also offer much for young families.

While Brooklyn Heights is beautiful and the closest community, it is a long established neighbourhood, with fewer young families (although that, too, is changing).

The West Village is also a good choice--but perhaps less children-friendly, and possibly more expensive.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,225 times
I also recommend Park Slope, but it is pricey.

Greenwich Village is also nice, but, as an example, I saw a studio apartment for sale at about 360K. And that is probably low.

Location, location.

You might also want to consider are further down in Brooklyn, e.g. Ditmas Park, Midwood, Madison, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay. They are more affordable than Park Slope and the Village, family-oriented, low in crime and more suburban. But they are residential, bedroom neighborhoods without much going on. And the people tend to be less cosmopolitan than those in Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights and Greenwich Village. And the commute is longer, about an hour or more. And the trains are crowded and uncomfortable during rush hours.

If I were moving to NYC I would probably want to live in Park Slope. Or Greenwich Village, Brooklyn Heights or the Upper West Side. I live in southern Brooklyn and am used to budgeting an hour to get anywhere. I can get to downtown Manhattan, however, in about 40 minutes, once I'm on the train. That does not include getting to the train and waiting for it. (You can get timetables; also, you'll develop an idea when the train comes if you are used to getting it at a certain time.)

I cannot speak knowingly about Queens (there are some nice neighborhoods there), Staten Island (you would be dependent on a ferry; also, Staten Island is very provincial) or the Bronx (near northern Manhattan; believe it or not, there are some nice neighborhoods there, too.) Or the area of New Jersey that is near downtown Manhattan.

For proximitiy to Lower Manhattan, though, your best bets are lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. And for an interesting and safe environment, your initial points of interest are well taken, although I don't know how safe Brooklyn Heights is.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Park Slope sounds nice. Probably a bit too far by subway?

Any thoughts on Tribeca? I heard there are good elementary schools there

Old 01-31-2007, 12:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Park Slope is about 30 minutes from Downtown.

Tribeca is fine--but very grey, not green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familymove View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Park Slope sounds nice. Probably a bit too far by subway?

Any thoughts on Tribeca? I heard there are good elementary schools there

Old 01-31-2007, 02:16 PM

Thanks. This is great information. Anyone have experience with Williamsburg or South Brooklyn (and all the family requirements)?

Old 01-31-2007, 04:45 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,732 times
Tribeca has PS 234, one of the best public schools in New York. It also has the Hudson River Park nearby. If you can afford it, I would move there instead of Brooklyn.

The commute from suburban Brooklyn to Manhattan is never nice. Plus, the problem with the areas around Park Slope is that you move two blocks around and you're in a not-so-nice area.

How many white young parents have been mugged in and around Park Slope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City