Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,513 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a foreigner who'll have a chance to go to Batavia for a convention in April. I am very expecting this visit coz it's my first to come to USA. But I only have one week there. I want to visit some interesting places around the town during the course. I've already known that it's easy to go to visit the Niagara Falls and some other parks and lakes nearby. But actuallly I wander if it's possible to go to NYC even if just to take a one-day quick wink at the NYC. You know, if I was in NY state but didn't reach NYC, it is a big pity. From the map, it seems a little bit far. Anybody is so kind to give me some suggestions ?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:45 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,549 times
Hello,

In a whole week, you should have time enough to visit the important cities and towns of Buffalo, Niagara Falls and Rochester, and also cross the border to Canada, if only to say you've been there.

You could drive to either Rochester or Buffalo and fly to New York City from there. Flights with airlines such as JetBlue are not expensive, and of course the Big Apple is worth the trip and the money.

Or you could drive to Manhattan! It's only a five-hour drive. You can do that, I'm sure. Car rentals are quite affordable in the USA.

Good luck and enjoy New York.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,944 times
Default Try to go from Rochester, NY

Hi, I am from NYC, but go to school in Rochester, NY , which is about 1/2 hour drive from Batavia. If I were you, I would drive on the New York State Thruway East toward Albany (Rt. 90), then south to NYC (Rt. 87).

-But, if you do not have access to drive to NYC, I would get a ride to Rochester, NY and take Amtrak (the train) to NYC/Penn Station.

-Here is a link to the Rochester Amtrak Station.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten..._Page&code=ROC

-I warn you, however. Driving to NYC is about 6 hours, and a $13.00 toll, and amtrak may be upwards of $70, with a 7 hour trip. It is a good idea to stay in NYC overnight, otherwise you will spend your whole day on the road!!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,257 times
To rent a car you will need major credit card and a driver's license. You can get an international driver's license in your home country. Also, you're maybe better off booking your flight into US though NYC and staying there 1 day before or after your trip.
By car it will take you between 5 and 7 if not more hours to drive, there are cheaper routes. 390 to 17 to 81 to 380 to 80 with entrance through g washington bridge. or you can go 90 to 87 and pay $15 (including tapan zee bridge toll) in tolls.
You should stay overnight in nyc, as a a trip there will take a better part of the day, or you can take a bus, which stops in Batavia (no need to go to Rochester and catch 3 times a day amtrak that runs only during the day). Go to http://greyhound.com/home.asp There are 6 busses that leave throughout the day and you can catch one that leaves at 11:30 at night and gets to NYC around 6 am, which gives you a whole day there and you catch a 9 pm bus back, which leaves you in Batavia around 6 am next morning. The only thing is that its pretty tiresome to travel like that. If you can sleep in a seating position, surrounded by people (who cannot afford to fly or rent a car) for an extended period of time, it should be your best option.
that way you don't have to stay in nyc overnight, although nyc at night IS something to experience as well. you can see downtown and midtown all in lights from brooklyn bridge. a fascinating view. or times square in lights. there is a lot to see/do in nyc and a day will feel like not enough. they have double decker tour buses that should be a good way to see most of the city. but you should plan your activities in nyc in advance. good luck.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,513 times
Thanks to everybody who kindly responded me.
I didn't say it clearly about my one-week trip in US.
But I think the last guy without name quite understands me.
I have to spend the most time in Batavia for the business.
Only after it ends on April 28th, I could start for NYC.
As the one recommended, I could take the bus at 11.30pm in Batavia arriving NYC at 6.00 am the next day. Then one day sightviewing there. How many great places can I visit? Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square, The fifth Avenue, Statue of LIberty and so on. Before that I think I better download the NYC map from the google. haha.........coz till now I don't know the direction of NYC at all!!!
So somebody can advice me how to manage my limited time(ond day and one night) in a cheap way. I prefer to the tour bus. Walking is my favorite.

Now I should consider a very important proble. My round air ticket will be settled and the return flight should start in Buffalo Airport. So I have to go back from NYC to there. How can I deal with my luggage? I don't want the luggage with me during the one day stay in NYC.. ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City