Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
The threads around here heat up a lot and things can get very tense - what with arguments about cops' salaries, new Yankee Stadium vs more schools in the Bronx, gays overrunning the Bronx, the evils or benefits of rent stabilization, women paying less than men for gym fees, posters working as gigolos to afford housing in NYC, and the list goes on.
Thanks, Miles, for a great laugh before I turn out the lights for the night! "Posters working as gigolos to afford housing..." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Default what are the requirements...

to be a sanitation man? is it a two year degree in environmental science? how long is the training program? is there an academy like with the cops? does the mayor attend graduation there for our sanit workers?

what is taught in sanitation school? are there any lectures on curbside pickups, rolling a garbage bag along the sidewalk, techniques of attacking the situation when the cones have been removed by errant motorists? is there training on how to pick up, move along, etc., different sizes of bags, different durability bags? what to do if the bag bursts?

is there in fact a training program or do guys just fill out a form, get a pair of disposable gloves and get pointed to the nearest dumpster?

i ask these questions because the whole issue of proper garbage pickup and disposal is creating a stink throughout the city and is affecting our quality of life.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 AM

173 posts, read 192,655 times
No kidding...and the fact remains..whether the bags are heavy or light...they are always dragged..which makes them tear. They oftentimes make a big mess...and could care less....but of course....it's our fault! They are the true victims here...they "deserve" a pay raise, they are "underappreciated".....now where have I heard these lines before...oh right...the NYPD Union....I guess they all use the same script.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
No kidding...and the fact remains..whether the bags are heavy or light...they are always dragged..which makes them tear. They oftentimes make a big mess...and could care less....but of course....it's our fault! They are the true victims here...they "deserve" a pay raise, they are "underappreciated".....now where have I heard these lines before...oh right...the NYPD Union....I guess they all use the same script.
a pathetic situation indeed. cop eats a donut, tosses paper bag on sidewalk, garbage man claims cop didn't use sturdy enough bag for garbage pickup, rolls bag along sidewalk, bag bursts and donut wrappers from other cops litter street. sanit worker rides away laughing and scoffing.

then they both demand a raise. i love the city but it sure stinks sometimes.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
to be a sanitation man? is it a two year degree in environmental science? how long is the training program? is there an academy like with the cops? does the mayor attend graduation there for our sanit workers?

what is taught in sanitation school? are there any lectures on curbside pickups, rolling a garbage bag along the sidewalk, techniques of attacking the situation when the cones have been removed by errant motorists? is there training on how to pick up, move along, etc., different sizes of bags, different durability bags? what to do if the bag bursts?

is there in fact a training program or do guys just fill out a form, get a pair of disposable gloves and get pointed to the nearest dumpster?

i ask these questions because the whole issue of proper garbage pickup and disposal is creating a stink throughout the city and is affecting our quality of life.
Why don't you be a real man and ask those questions on the most popular thread in here,you know where to find it...

Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Thats not the most popular thread in here...that is the most BORING thread in here. If you have ever been on the thread you would understand why garbage men do a lousy job....

Old 08-28-2008, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 82,787 times
Quote:
Thats not the most popular thread in here...that is the most BORING thread in here. If you have ever been on the thread you would understand why garbage men do a lousy job....
lol...I'm still trying to fathom the fascination with being a sanitation worker, or talking about them. Most viewed and posted on thread by far? Weird.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Why don't you be a real man and ask those questions on the most popular thread in here,you know where to find it...
i hear ya but i don't wanna be on a thread where everyone has airs about them and where people with names like cleanupguy, turkeyfordinner, sweetscent dominate the discussion. quite evidently the topics there are necessary in order to improve the quality of life issues like garbage pickups. but i mean does that thread have to be so humongous to train a guy how to properly toss a garbage bag into a stationery truck? how complicated is that that that thread has been going on for like 10 months now?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Have you ever spoken to these garbage men...they are a "unique" breed of people to say the least.....remember the strange kid in class who kinda had a weird shaped head, or walked extra bow-legged, or had a very sinister/scary laugh that made everyone uncomfortable, or would just stare at people for now reason, or just "never got the whole school thing"....those are today's sanitation workers. They are a strange breed.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Have you ever spoken to these garbage men...they are a "unique" breed of people to say the least.....remember the strange kid in class who kinda had a weird shaped head, or walked extra bow-legged, or had a very sinister/scary laugh that made everyone uncomfortable, or would just stare at people for now reason, or just "never got the whole school thing"....those are today's sanitation workers. They are a strange breed.
lol. hope u don't get banned again with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City