Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about this neighborhood. I've heard thru the grapevine it's not bad, other people have told me to stay away from this place. I know it's where one of the members of Run-DMC is from, and I remember reading an interview with him where he said it was a normal, tree-lined street but during the 1980s it went downhill. Is this really true? I'm not moving here but I was wondering because I drive thru Queens whenever I got to Nassau or Suffolk county to see friends. And I've been in Queens a few times and I like the borough (sp?) alot. The town I live in now reminds me of one of its more residential areas.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what this place is like - feedback - either verbal or pics - would be appreciated. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
and I remember reading an interview with him where he said it was a normal, tree-lined street but during the 1980s it went downhill. Is this really true?
If it did go downhill in the 80's then I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the crack epidemic. Crack messed up a lot of neighborhoods.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If it did go downhill in the 80's then I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the crack epidemic. Crack messed up a lot of neighborhoods.
Well that's exactly what he said it was, yes. I'm just surprised you would see it in a residential neighborhood like the one he described. And I was just curious if its' still like that today.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:56 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
I lived in Hollis, Queens during my pre-teen and teenage years and yes, the crack epidemic took a toll on the neighborhood in the 80's as it did most of southeastern Queens. It is a neighborhood of single family homes, tree lined streets and middle class families. During the 80's, roberries became more common place, people became frightened and on the main avenues (like Hollis Avenue) you would hear about gunshots. The last time that I was in the neighborhood (it has been years though), it appeared to have rebounded back into what it was, a quiet, residential neighborhood. A lot of the people who lived there during the 80's moved out of the neighborhood and a new influx of residents came in. To be honest though, even during the height of the crack epidemic, I never felt unsafe in the neighborhood. I have no desire to move back there but that has more to do with it not being convenient for me then anything else.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 32,604 times
I have been living in Hollis since 2010. It is quite evident that this area was once a very influential nieghborhood. There are 3&4 thousand sq ft single family homes being bought up by oppertunist & returning them to thier former glory. yes there are iffy sections on Jamaica Ave but hillside that runs parallel has some good stores & is safe.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
New York Times just did a profile on the neighborhood:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/re...-hop-cred.html

Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
I lived there until 2006. It is mixed (black/caribbean/guyanese indian/hispanic) between Jamaica Ave & Hillside Ave. South of Jamaica Ave it's mostly black/caribbean.

Quiet area, mainly one-family frame houses. There are a couple of more upscale parts with larger houses on larger lots, like Hollis Court, which is between Hillside & Jamaica Aves, near 195th Street or so.

What's your situation (single/family/transportation to work)?

Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
The area has an above average crime rate compared to most Queens neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The area has an above average crime rate compared to most Queens neighborhoods.
That's surprising. What type crimes are high? In 15 years there, I had my car broken into once. Never heard of any neighbors being crime victims. Never hear about it in the news. Must be fairly isolated situations.

Certainly crime is higher in Far Rockaway, South Jamaica, maybe even in Astoria (given the projects). What stats are you looking at?

OP, if you are looking for easy access into Manhattan, this isn't the first place I would recommend. Also, there's nothing hip about it for young people. It's most a family neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
That's surprising. What type crimes are high? In 15 years there, I had my car broken into once. Never heard of any neighbors being crime victims. Never hear about it in the news. Must be fairly isolated situations.

Certainly crime is higher in Far Rockaway, South Jamaica, maybe even in Astoria (given the projects). What stats are you looking at?

OP, if you are looking for easy access into Manhattan, this isn't the first place I would recommend. Also, there's nothing hip about it for young people. It's most a family neighborhood.
The local precinct has a lot of murders for a Queens area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City