Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
As a college English instructor with students from all over the world, I can tell you that in my experience most of my Asian students--largely Chinese and American-born Chinese (ABC)--are very polite and very cooperative. On the surface. But with some of my Chinese and ABC students, there is this air of superiority and judgment, until they get to know me and their peers. I have learned that this is a form of defensiveness. One of my students, in an interview on bullying, shared his story with me. A sad tale of bullying, harassment, fighting, etc. in a junior high school out in the suburbs. We learned a lot about each other in the interview, and after that pivotal evening he began to trust his classmates more, including me as his professor.

Still, in most instances this air of judgment could cause problems in a class where students don't get to interact with each other or with the professor much. In my classes active participation is high priority. So, most of us get to know each other well through discussion, writing workshops, etc.

My point here is that a lot fighting between diverse ethnic groups often comes from cultural or interpersonal misunderstanding--rooted in years, decades, even centuries of conflict and misbeliefs. The only way, imo, to heal the rift caused by tensions that stem from the past is to live in the here and now, to let go of this tendency to make snap judgments or to stereotype. I have seen and experienced this kind of diviseness between Black Americans, Africans, and Afro-Caribbeans. I have seen this kind of diviseness between Koreans and American-born Koreans. I once made the mistake of telling an older Korean woman that I had a Japanese babysitter when I was a little kid back on an Air Force Base in Massachusetts. From that point on she looked at me as if I were the devil incarnate. I later learned of the wars and conflicts between the Japanese and the Koreans. I wish she had talked to me instead of dismissing me the way she did.

The Asians do not have a monopoly on the ethnic or cultural tensions that can result in fighting. Physical fighting may end as we mature, but violence is not strictly physical. Looking at someone the wrong way can be perceived as an insult or a threat. This doesn't mean that a person who looks at another person the wrong way (staring, judging, etc.) deserves to be beaten. It just means that they may need to look inside themselves and make sure that they are not secretly harboring the thoughts or attitudes about that other person or ethnic group that will surely surface by way of facial expressions or body language. In other words, as I have learned and witnessed, how we interact with other people can change if we are willing to work on changing ourselves, our perceptions, and by daring to get know people one person at a time. Sounds simple, right? But this is not necessarily easy. It will take time and effort.

Thanks for posting your question. I think this thread will enlighten many people. Peace to you.
Great, Great, Great post with much depth needed in this topic but i'm afraid its been ignored for the most part.

I'm not asian but I can definitely empathize with your points, especially when you brought up the divisiveness between Black American, African, and Caribbean people. It just goes to show that we are more similar than we realize. Thank you for you insightful post again.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:59 AM
ako

140 posts, read 337,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
As a college English instructor with students from all over the world, I can tell you that in my experience most of my Asian students--largely Chinese and American-born Chinese (ABC)--are very polite and very cooperative. On the surface. But with some of my Chinese and ABC students, there is this air of superiority and judgment, until they get to know me and their peers. I have learned that this is a form of defensiveness. One of my students, in an interview on bullying, shared his story with me. A sad tale of bullying, harassment, fighting, etc. in a junior high school out in the suburbs. We learned a lot about each other in the interview, and after that pivotal evening he began to trust his classmates more, including me as his professor.

Still, in most instances this air of judgment could cause problems in a class where students don't get to interact with each other or with the professor much. In my classes active participation is high priority. So, most of us get to know each other well through discussion, writing workshops, etc.

My point here is that a lot fighting between diverse ethnic groups often comes from cultural or interpersonal misunderstanding--rooted in years, decades, even centuries of conflict and misbeliefs. The only way, imo, to heal the rift caused by tensions that stem from the past is to live in the here and now, to let go of this tendency to make snap judgments or to stereotype. I have seen and experienced this kind of diviseness between Black Americans, Africans, and Afro-Caribbeans. I have seen this kind of diviseness between Koreans and American-born Koreans. I once made the mistake of telling an older Korean woman that I had a Japanese babysitter when I was a little kid back on an Air Force Base in Massachusetts. From that point on she looked at me as if I were the devil incarnate. I later learned of the wars and conflicts between the Japanese and the Koreans. I wish she had talked to me instead of dismissing me the way she did.

The Asians do not have a monopoly on the ethnic or cultural tensions that can result in fighting. Physical fighting may end as we mature, but violence is not strictly physical. Looking at someone the wrong way can be perceived as an insult or a threat. This doesn't mean that a person who looks at another person the wrong way (staring, judging, etc.) deserves to be beaten. It just means that they may need to look inside themselves and make sure that they are not secretly harboring the thoughts or attitudes about that other person or ethnic group that will surely surface by way of facial expressions or body language. In other words, as I have learned and witnessed, how we interact with other people can change if we are willing to work on changing ourselves, our perceptions, and by daring to get know people one person at a time. Sounds simple, right? But this is not necessarily easy. It will take time and effort.

Thanks for posting your question. I think this thread will enlighten many people. Peace to you.
Wow I totally agree.

I'm Taiwanese and you're absolutely right, on the surface 'Chinese born Chinese' students seem to get along well with ABC students, but really, you can see that since we grew up in totally different places, on some level we still see each other as foreigners.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,787 times
Look i live in flushing queens, im 29 yrs old..there have not been many asian figures in the korean community..all i remember is one famous Korean..He was like the God Father to koreans..his name was Eugene..dont know his last name. But me and my friends would hear stories bout him..he took over the drug trade in all clubs he had a mob over 500 memebers that was under him. I so him one time in a club in the city very tall and very big..look like a body bulider..really scary looking. i saw all the koreans and other races kiss his butt seemed like the whole club kissed his butt and he knew everyone. He always had like 40 or 50 guys protecting him. The rumors in nyc were he worked for his own people. My friends told me Italian Russian Veits Chineese all feared him. So if all those people were scared off him i can just imagine what type of person he was. I havnt heared his name for a while now...hes probably in jail or dead. But for like 10 yrs he was the Frank White of koreans. We sure can use another Eugene..funny name for a gangster.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:37 PM

28 posts, read 56,827 times
I am abc and went through the whole educational system. Here is my 2 cents on what i saw. Most abc mostly hung out with other abcs. Native chinese mostly hung out with native chinese. Koreans hung out with koreans.

As an offnote never work for a female korean. You will regret it trust me.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
it is strange

The koreans just move here and act like they all badass, and try and take over the place

It is not like korea is a poor country or are trying to escape oppression

it is like they want to take over because they are better than everyone else
You seem to be very racist against koreans. What is your problem?

edit--
Based on your posts I can tell you're a little punk from the way you talk. It's not surprising you were beat up by koreans, but then again if you were in an area with a large group of people who aren't Jewish you would've been handled by them as well. You don't own any area neither do koreans. People congregate where they feel comfortable, this is America. Please do not walk around thinking you own a place just because you were raised there. By your logic Native Americans have the right to complain about your existence here.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,588,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Well I though 'South' Koreans and Chinese just don't like eachother back in Asia either. It has to do with their history. The Chinese used to (maybe still) help North Korea to annoy South Korea alot.
he who speaks in absolutes forgets that there are exceptions. okay that was pretty bad but i heard that these days, learning mandarin is a popular trend in south korea. this does not support your statement.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default does anyone notice

rude, even sadistic treatment of Asian shopkeepers by locals? even by the elderly? sadistic, facetious comments, contrived impatience and irritability, even sadistic stuff like customers claiming the shopkeeper ripped them off $10 and that the customer will call the cops if the shopkeeper doesn't 'return" the money? i've even seen one old lady looked close to being about 90, start an argument over toilet paper

any comments?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 PM

589 posts, read 1,220,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
rude, even sadistic treatment of Asian shopkeepers by locals? even by the elderly? sadistic, facetious comments, contrived impatience and irritability, even sadistic stuff like customers claiming the shopkeeper ripped them off $10 and that the customer will call the cops if the shopkeeper doesn't 'return" the money? i've even seen one old lady looked close to being about 90, start an argument over toilet paper

any comments?
I've seen this occur for all races. What exactly are you looking for? Someone to justify your racism?

I've seen old ladies from every race start a huge fight over coupons... maybe its something attributed to being old and not having a lot of money to blow? 10 dollars may be a lot to someone in their late ages.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,588,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I've seen this occur for all races. What exactly are you looking for? Someone to justify your racism?

I've seen old ladies from every race start a huge fight over coupons... maybe its something attributed to being old and not having a lot of money to blow? 10 dollars may be a lot to someone in their late ages.
cee4, you're misreading. rlrl is saying asian shopkeepers are the targets of racism, not the perpertrators. i've never seen it so i can only imagine. tsk tsk

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,544 times
You know what i dont get. is why it seems like koreans are on top of the social scene in the entire newyork, and they are so racist, they only keep within thier community. ive been studying them for a while. nyc koreans never let outsiders in. you have to be korean to hang with them... they only hang out at circle/hiro, and facebook is like thier god. this is thier life.... why. why cant i infiltrate this circle. i am goodlooking and smart... all my attempts have failed. i have resorted to deception and ultimate plans ... still no luck. you cant reach up to koreans, the only way u can get thier hand if u are not korean... is by reaching down. i have to become rich and famous first. i will do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: