U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 18,627 times

Advertisements

lately i've been hearing the word SOHA, mostly via real estate websites, is this just a gimmick used by the realtors or is South Harlem is actually an up and rising neighbourhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 PM

10,194 posts, read 25,548,162 times
Hype and not hype.

Yes, Harlem is gentrifying.

But I'll tell ya, if you are not black, or a person of colour, I'd avoid the area. Why? My friends are really beginning to resent the changes in their community. One of my friends who last year won a house on a lottery (I don't know how it worked) and had lived in Harlem all her life (about 33 years or so) clearly explained that she wouldn't have been able to afford it w/o that chance.

She was very candid and told me how much she and others resented the changing landscape of Harlem that is pushing people out for economic reasons.

I have other friends who did buy a house up in South Harlem, all of whom are described as people of colour (although I never liked that term) and they appear very satisfied, and spent a bundle getting the house up to code. It is beautiful.

So, of course the choice is yours, and the realtors do hype everything by changing landmarks, changing demarcations and renaming neighbourhoods. And as we all know without them we'd not have Soho, Noho, and you-go

Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 18,627 times
Thanks. well since i'm chinese, i don't think i'll have any problem with the colour issue.

pushing this back up and hopefully i can get more inputs!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM

500 posts, read 2,746,918 times
I find many of the nicknames given to Manhattan neighborhoods utterly silly. In ten blocks, you go from Chinatown to Little Italy to Nolita to NoHo to SoHo and to whatever else. Easy-to-impress hipsters with money are always ready to pony up millions in an apartment if the 'hood has a cool name. See the recent "Sofi" (South Fifth Avenue) or "SoBro" (South Bronx).

Now, "SoHa" doesn't look like it's going to stick as easy, but of all the areas in Harlem that are said to be gentrifying and moving up, South Harlem is definitely number one. If only because it's close to the park and whites are more willing to move there!

Lots of new development is going up, and you'll find many more stores and restaurants than any other area of Harlem. Prices are still a bargain compared to mainstream Manhattan, and I doubt being whitey (I see you're not) would be an issue. Because of its proximity to the Upper West and East Sides, Columbia and Central Park, I believe South Harlem is more open to people than further north.

You can find one-bedrooms in newly constructed buildings for 300,000, and how about 4 bedrooms for 975,000.

New York Magazine has a long, in-depth report of South Harlem in the current issue. You can check their website and read about it.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:21 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,175,927 times
Damn, yuppies moving uptown!

Old 02-06-2007, 12:08 AM

508 posts, read 1,997,181 times
Hype, as far as the name goes. Just another real estate gimmick. The neighborhood's been gentrifying for years but they are having some trouble selling a lot of the $1M+ condos and so they have to come up with names to attract people uptown.

SoHa is a new name for the Columbia area + Central Harlem area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City