Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM

364 posts, read 739,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
whats his nationality...everyone knows if your italian or irish your job with sanitation is pretty much safe.
That definately is a very bright comment.... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 PM

289 posts, read 746,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
Yeah who needs Unions looking out for worker safety? Lets just trust employers to maintain safe working conditions, give decent benefits, and not fire older employees who earn too much. Imagine if we could travel back to those glorious days of 1800s when there were no unions.
WELL SAID...................

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM

289 posts, read 746,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
whats his nationality...everyone knows if your italian or irish your job with sanitation is pretty much safe.
that's a lie if anyone screw's up enough for any reason they will get them self fired point blank ,stop your bull.........

Old 09-01-2008, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,263 times
I agree w/ u Retired Sanman, I happen to be half Irish, but that might not help me because I'm also half black. But, the truth is if you messed up u messed up, no matter what color skin u have. We had a guy in my garage who got canned for coming up dirty for the third time. Yes he was black, but he was fired because he was unwilling to get help. So for the Sanman's Wife tell your boyfriend forget about losing his job, or even killing himself, what about that possible little kid who wasn't paying attention and crosses in front of the truck while he was driving. Would the high be worth that????

Old 09-01-2008, 06:50 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,533 times
i am just curious, and i hope nobody takes offense to this. But why are there so many people trying to get a job picking up garbage all day? That big dsny thread is one of the biggest in this forum, and I just don't understand why so many people want to do that for a living? Is the pay just outstanding?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM

656 posts, read 1,412,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
i am just curious, and i hope nobody takes offense to this. But why are there so many people trying to get a job picking up garbage all day? That big dsny thread is one of the biggest in this forum, and I just don't understand why so many people want to do that for a living? Is the pay just outstanding?
top pay is 67k In just 5 years. Sanitation workers who are on a collection route make an additional $62 a day. There is plenty of overtime when it snows. So when all is factored in,
a "garbage man" can make 6 figures in just 5 years and have a 20 year pension along with the best health benefits. With the way the economy is, it's an excellent career. also, there are plenty of details in sanitation where u never even have to go near garbage

Old 09-01-2008, 08:17 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Benefits,pension,job security. The pay is secondary. Most people take a big pay cut to start at DSNY. This is a job for people who don't care about "social status". Around 40,000 registered for the exam,32,XXX took the exam and 29,276 passed and are on the eligibles list.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,533 times
That sounds pretty good. Job security and a pension are definitely good things in this economy.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 AM

43 posts, read 573,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MottHavenDude View Post
Its call the Union..and its the same reason we have corrupt cops getting slaps on the wrist for attacking civilians, the same reason we have Con-Edison technicians parking in public parks and sleeping for 3 hours, the same reason we have a 10 person MTA crew for a 2 man job (8 people have to watch/chat/eat and sleep while the 2 actually do work), the same reason we have the bumbling fools at the post office who don't know a stamped envelope from a napkin, the same reason we spend the most per student of any school system in the country but have the worst schools in the country (teacher's union..yay!)....see a trend here? Unions = corruption/money suckers/mob/abuse

You seem like a very bitter person when it comes to city employees and blue collar workers. First you bash the city for paying cops what they deserve and argue that they dont deserve it because they dont posses a 4yr BA. (i havent heard of one police department in the country that requires one, besides the FBI. I have heard that if you do have one, some departments pay more) Then you jump on unions for protecting the rights of these blue collar workers. Im not defending anyone that does drugs comes up dirty on a dole test and still has a job, because in my line of work theres ZERO tolerance. But it seems to me that you have issues with hard working people.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,061,592 times
MottHavenDude is a suit,so what else do you expect from people like him? Everybody knows his type. He probably wore a suit to public school in the 6th grade while carrying a briefcase,LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City