U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I make the move to New York or stay in the DC area?
Move to New York 1 25.00%
Stay in Maryland 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,485 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Maryland on a 2 acre lot with 4 kids. It would take me about 45 minutes to get into DC for work. I am being asked to relocate to NY for a job in midtown Manhattan.

What are my options to find a place to live that will provide a:
  • good education for my kids;
  • decent sized house with a yard or alternate play space;
  • safe location for my family;
  • reasonable cost of living; and
  • decent commute into midtown?

Is this even possible?

Thanks for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 AM

217 posts, read 899,621 times
I have to say that would be very tough, New York City is similar to Washington DC but much bigger and on steroids, not to say its not possible, But a two acre home 45 min outside DC, seems nice. If you want to live in Manhattan forget about the two acres or grass for that matter. 45 min outside NYC with two acres, good schools, transit, etc. your looking at suburb of Manhasset, NY, Tenafly, NJ, Westchester Co. area. Most homes are at least 1 million or more. A longer commute is necessary if you want more affordablity- look at 1-1.5 hr commute. Its doable. Not sure if you'd want the boroughs of NYC, especially if your coming from a nice DC suburb.

To give you an example: I live in Huntington, NY area in Western Suffolk County (mapquest it) which by train ($18.50 round trip/day) is 1:05hr into NYC+ 15min subway ride on average to the door of your office. Current home is 1 acre, value: 850k with 15,000/yr in taxes. Average income of area is about 100k

You would really have to come up here and take a look, depends on salary, schools and lifestyle preference, if there is an added benefit to working in Manhattan or DC. NYC is a lot more urban environment but suburbs are just as nice as DC.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 PM

284 posts, read 1,597,110 times
If they are offering you the money you need, then do it. There are many great suburbs not far from the city with terrific schools. Homes are expensive, but compared to what? Hard to know what you mean by "reasonable cost of living." As gmagg said, $1 million is probably what you would pay for something like you have in MD. Check out the homes on Realtor.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: