Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,034 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from the Finger Lakes region, but were relocated to Illinois several years ago. We now are raising our 3 year old son and would love to bring him up in the Adirondacks. We are having a very difficult time finding my husband a job in the technology field. Does anyone have any advice? Don't say we're crazy because we already know we are. I spent 2 weeks every Summer in the Adirondacks and that has many wonderful memories for me and plus it is beautiful in all 4 seasons and lots to do in each one. I love them all. Thanks a lot for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM

59 posts, read 325,310 times
Hey there, I would look in the Albany/Saratoga area. It is close enough to the Adirondacks. I know in the small towns of Malta/Stillwater, a new Microchip Factory was approved. It is supposed to be one the largest in the state.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
key

30 posts, read 125,801 times
I live in the Adirondacks right now, there is NOTHING in the area for jobs. However, that Microchip Factory is supposed to be coming soon, so you should look into that.

From my own experience, I would stay away from Albany, there is a LOT of crime, and look more at Saratoga. Malta and Stillwater are very close to Saratoga, more country. But again, please be sure you have a job lined up before you make the jump, because it's a very depressed spot here.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,780 times
Red face Living in the Adirondacks

Actually, I think raising a child in the upstate NY area is a wonderful idea. We live in Ballston Lake in a wonderful development a mile off Interstate 87 and will soon be selling our executive raised ranch with 4 BR, 2 1/2 bath house with 20'x40' inground pool and 2/3 acre of land. It would be a splendid place for young children and is a short distance from the lovely Adirondacks. And the school district here, Shenedehowa Central School, is reportedly to die for!

We will be about 10 miles from the new MicroChip company scheduled to be located in Malta, NY. Supposedly they are going to begin hiring 'lead' people for this company in January. If that kind of 'tech' work appeals to you, check it out!!

Old 11-18-2006, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 17,776 times
Default living in adirondacks

I don't think you're crazy at all. Why not live in paradise? If that is you're passion, you can certainly make it happen. The downside is that the jobs are scarce but also remember that the cost of living, such as prices of homes and taxes are much lower than other areas. Homes with lakefront can be expensive, but there are still smaller lakes with reasonable prices. I can only speak for the southern end of the Adirondacks - I spent my summers there growing up and my parents still have their camp there - but the people are wonderful and the area is beautiful. I would suggest living at one of the ends of the Adirondacks close to the border of the state park. For instance, at the southern end, such as Piseco or Morehouse area, you would still be within commuting distance of Utica which has a much more promising job market. my husband and I currently live right outside the southern end of the Adirondacks and we can commute to Albany, Schenectady and Utica in under an hour. Also remember that you will be farther away from civilization - there are no 24 hour stores, department stores, hospitals, veteranarians, etc. are all quite a drive. Your husband may even find a job that allows him to work from home at least a couple of days per week. I hope this helps - good luck.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
You should PM Iminformed on this forum. Knows a lot about upstate.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,034 times
Thanks to all of you for your time and patience. I am really sorry I have not checked back before this. We still would love to move to the Adirondacks, BUT we have a family emergency and all things are on hold until its resolved. We do belive by January or before to have a better handle on things. I REALLY appreciate the information on the Microchip factory and will do some online research. It sounds very promising. My husband is the techie and he is a Sytems Administrator with a Windows background. You all have given us something to dream about and to take us away from our worry. I really mean it when I say I LOVE NEW YORK STATE AND THE ADIRONDACKS AND THE PEOPLE. The scenery can't be beat either. I really hope this is our next road on our journey.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 17,774 times
Default Adirondack Broadband

We would like to move back to Upstate NY (from Western NY). We can work from home or anywhere, but need broadband connections. We are wondering what companies provide Broadband access in the Adirondack region (inside the blue line), that is not satelitte?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City