Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:32 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,135 times

Advertisements

I'm really stuck on St Johns. I have heard SO much about it..yet there are a handful of people saying it's a joke..or terrible etc. etc. Yet then there are many including it in their top ten. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Only way to find out is to go yourself. A lot of people's opinions might not coincide with your own anyway, and statistics aren't always useful. Make a choice and stick with it!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,430 times
I graduated from Hunter a couple of years ago, and while it's nothing particularly impressive (then again, I tend to think college in general is overrated), I have to say that I think it's better than St. John's. I know a number of people who went to St. John's, and most of them either a) aren't too bright, or b) didn't like it. My impression of the student body at St. John's definitely makes me think Hunter is a better school, as are some of the other four-year CUNYs, in all likelihood.

Hunter is hard school to generalize, though. It's huge and the student body is very diverse, and not just racially. I think it's a great school for some people, and for others, not so much. I was kinda in-between the two, I'd guess leaning more towards the latter.

I'd probably say: Columbia, New School, NYU (nearly everyone I've met that went here says it's not worth the cost), Fordham, Hunter, in that order. The latter two are pretty close, though, and in all honesty, I think Columbia is head-and-shoulders above all of them.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 48,271 times
I currently going to st.john's for undergrad and their torbin business school, it's really not that bad academically depending on the teachers you take. but the people who goes there aren't really that bright. it's really easy to get into.

but as best i think college of nyc is

Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Baruch, Pace, Queens, St.John's

but Columbia and NYU are absolute two of the best colleges in ny.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 98,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I'm really stuck on St Johns. I have heard SO much about it..yet there are a handful of people saying it's a joke..or terrible etc. etc. Yet then there are many including it in their top ten. What gives?
It's a decent school but the reason they keep appearing on top 10 lists is b/c there's just not THAT many universities in the five boroughs.

And imo one of the first posters nailed this. It's Columbia alone at the top, NYU alone at 2nd and Fordham alone at 3rd.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:32 PM

46 posts, read 230,736 times
Can anyone comment on Baruch? I am transferring there fall 09 and am just curious what people generally think about it.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 AM

16 posts, read 48,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanatlarge View Post
Can anyone comment on Baruch? I am transferring there fall 09 and am just curious what people generally think about it.
I've think it's a great school. I've heard a lot of undergrad who goes there likes it.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:14 PM

20 posts, read 54,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
NYU is second only to Columbia, and they are not all that far apart. St John's is a joke, very easy to get into, and the caliber of students is not very high. If you are a business student the list goes:
Columbia
NYU

Fordham
Baruch

Pace

St Johns
Yes...NYU is second in New York...but its reputation is way overrated. it is not nearly that close. As someone said earlier, Columbia is #1 by a longshot. With the exception of a few departments (like Tisch...Stern's reputation comes from its business school, not its undergrad business program.), NYU really cannot be compared to Columbia. It would be like comparing USC to Stanford.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,165 times
The only way to objectively choose the best colleges is to use the statistics of admission standards. St. John's would be at or near the bottom.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
Rankings are fine and all, and should be considered in making your decision. You will do your best at the school that you feel the most comfortable at.

I will give you 2 examples. One person I know graduated from Cooper Union he is an engineer for the NYC transit authority. Good job, great pay, and benefits, not a prestigious job.

The other person is City College CUNY engineering, honors graduate, NASA scholar, was accepted and is now in the 2nd year of combined PH.D program with CUNY Graduate Center, Columbia University, and NASA.

Myself, Hunter undergrad and grad school. Great career, pay and benefits. I work right along the side of Harvard and Columbia grads. I had very little debt when I left school.

It is harder getting the job after school especially in NYC if you are not from an Ivy. I won't kid you on that one. I won't downplay how hard it is to get the same job, because of the reputations that CUNY's have. Even though most of the professors teach the same courses at Columbia, NYU, Penn State etc, at the same time they are teaching at a CUNY.

Once you get your foot in the door and work a couple of years your professional reputation is what will count. The school you graduate from will be secondary at that point. You will have proved yourself in your profession.

All schools can offer you great things. It is up to you to take advantage of all opportunities where ever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City