Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 23,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
This is purely a matter of opinion. When you think of the best colleges in nyc, which ten are the first ones to pop to your head? This does not have to be politically correct. We are not concentrating on a major or anything such as that. I'm just curious, when one thinks of nyc, what colleges do they think of? If 10 don't pop to your head just list as many as you can in order of priority. I'll list what my conceptions were after a few people post.
I'm a Hunter girl so obviously, I'm going to say Hunter bc I just graduated from there lol But honestly I had a really great experience, academically and socially. I was really lucky to have had challenging professors and be around so many bright, intelligent people. Besides that I would say NYU, Barnard/Columbia, Baruch and Stony Brook (which is in Suffolk County I know but its a really good school). My best friend goes to Queens College, and she says it's overrated. My fiancee is doing an MS at Pace and she says it's like paying NYU money for a CUNY education. And I also heard that St Josephs is a good school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM

295 posts, read 1,501,727 times
Default it all depends...

On what you MAJOR in...this determines a lot: as once you are in some of these programs, there is limited flexibility & moving around.

You can go to any of the NY schools & either do very well for yourself, or not....depending on what you want to do with your life. I know many ppl who went to colleges that were lower ranked because of $$ and shined...they placed at excelled graduate programs & are often better respected than ppl who went to "better" schools.

Also, many places you apply to a PROGRAM in particular...this can influence how easy it is to get in. St Johns would be an example of this. By looking at statistics, you only get part of the picture.

Columbia & Barnard: Most ppl are familiar, let's talk about the others more.

Cooper Union is an excellent school & super prestigous: if you want to go into engineering, architecture, ect. Very small classes. Tough to get in.

NYU has really become a desirable place to go & the tuition reflects it. It is an excellent school & def. has it's niches. Stern business school is prestigious. The Arts education is amazing & the Science program feeds many a graduate school.

St Johns has an AMAZING 6 year program in pharmacy (5 changed to 6 recently...this is now a PharmD program). If you can get in (tough) & keep your scholarship (not easy to do)...it is very inexpensive. I believe it also has a strong P.A. contingent. It has a law school connection, but I'm unfamiliar with this.

Hunter has some strong specific programs. I believe they include physical therapy and education. I'm sure there are more.

Queens college is where I would go if I were interested in accounting or education.

Sophie Davis and Brooklyn College both had advanced medical/undergrad programs. Both attract excellent candidates as the tuition at both is dramatically lower/free than the other options. Again...very difficult to get in.

I'm sure there are some that I'm missing. I don't know much about the schools of the Arts & Law...so if interested: ask elsewhere....

BUT:
WHY focus on "top 10" without looking at the CRITERIA for that selection?
If you do well at the school & make a career for yourself...it is the TOP choice for you...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM

93 posts, read 242,120 times
What are studying? Film--then NYU.

I favor Columbia (Dad and brother went there) as well as some bigwigs in all fields:

Would you have ever expected that:
Alan Ginsberg, Kerouac and other beats met at Columbia? They did.

With a Columbia degree, you've got a leg up on the other grads, that is for certain. And you will have some great contacts among the classmates and alum and the memories.

St. John's get on the list since there are not a great number of colleges for a top ten....

Old 12-30-2008, 09:31 PM

468 posts, read 2,351,683 times
BMCC, Touro, Hostos... c'mon show some love.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 PM

93 posts, read 242,120 times
You get what you put in. Great people came from 'small colleges' (not where you'd expect). A college degree from Columbia gets your foot in the door which is what is needed now that a college degree is expected these days....

Columbia has great professors, known in their field, that is what makes them above the others. The same goes for Harvard although I think Harvard is very overrated. (That and I am not from Boston or I might think differently.)

Old 01-03-2009, 05:50 PM

82 posts, read 304,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
St Johns has an AMAZING 6 year program in pharmacy (5 changed to 6 recently...this is now a PharmD program). If you can get in (tough) & keep your scholarship (not easy to do)...it is very inexpensive. I believe it also has a strong P.A. contingent. It has a law school connection, but I'm unfamiliar with this.

Actually, I think that St. Johns law school is even more prestegious than its Pharmacy program, its fairly highly ranked and the grads have a much higher than average bar passage rate and a good job placement rate as well.

Their business school is good but not elite. but is getting tougher than it once was.
The university itself is an increasingly popular school with increasing applications so the acceptance rate is gonna start getting lower and the schools academics tougher over the next few years.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM

24 posts, read 95,077 times
Sorry - this is really shocking to me.

Um, PARSONS!?!

Yes, its part of The New School, but as a design institution, it really doesn't get much better. I certainly prefer it over FIT or Pratt.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,356 times
Columbia, Barnard, NYU, Cooper Union, Julliard, Fordham.
St. Johns is not in Manhattan and definately not as highly regarded as everyone is making it seem, and Marymount Manhattan is mainly only for theater people. Hunter, Baruch, and Pace are decent schools. FIT and Parsons are top schools for design (fashion especially). Outside the state, not many people know of st. johns, the cuny schools, or marymount manhattan.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,964,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiloveyou10 View Post
St. Johns is not in Manhattan
What difference does it make where it's located?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM

203 posts, read 662,509 times
I definitely agree with znycgirl...it really depends on what you major in. While Columbia and NYU are at the top no doubt. But for business majors Fordham, Baruch, and Pace are good choices. Like znycgirl mentioned St. John's has a great Pharmacy program and I believe there is a 6 year program for those who want to go straight into the law school which is pretty good.
Engineering: Cooper Union is top notch. But off topic, cost wise, unless you gett a scholarship...I think the CUNYs (the top ones) offer great value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City