Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 140,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNYC123 View Post
I've rated schools that offer a wide variety of majors/disciplines. Hence, speciality schools like Juiliard are omitted.

1. Columbia
2. NYU
3. Fordham
4. Brooklyn College, CUNY (especially for speech, education, music)
4. Baruch College, CUNY (especially for business)
4. Hunter College, CUNY
4. Queen's College, CUNY
8. Yeshiva University (especially for law, medicine)
9. St John's
10.Pace (especially for business, accounting)
I would put Yeshiva right after Fordham but I consider it to be a specialty school (for undergraduate at least), since it caters exclusively to a particular demographic. The law school (Cardozo) and Medicine are very well respected

I would also add St. John's is good for Pharmacy.

The best law schools are hands down Columbia, NYU, and Fordham (all top 30 schools).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
So is St.John's overall easy to get in or difficult to get in? I get mixed answers from everyone. "It's a joke to get in. It's filled with thugs." ... "It's difficult to get in" ... etc ... I want to know the real answer. Also, they have accepted kids with 1.9 GPA's, which shocked me because all this time, I thought St.John's was an actually competitive, difficult school to get into because that's what a lot of people say. So tell me someone?
St. John's isn't really that hard to get into. The average GPA is like 3.2 and average SAT is like 1050-1100. I would say that academically, St. John's isn't the best of schools. However it isn't a bad option if that's the only option you have. I would much rather go to Baruch to tell you the truth than pay for St. John;s. If you have the money and grades but not good enough to get into NYU or Columbia (3.7 GPA, 1250-1300 SAT's), then go to Fordham. Fordham is really close to an ivy league reputation (I would give Columbia a 10, NYU a 9, and Fordham an 8).

Also, don't believe what people tell you. Do the research yourself and visit the school's websites. Every school has a class profile, which gives you andidea of what type of students they accept.

[url]http://www.stjohns.edu/admission/undergraduate/admission_faq/admission.stj[/url]
[url]http://www.fordham.edu/admissions/undergraduate_admiss/applying/class_profile_28473.asp]Class[/url] Profile

Old 02-08-2010, 03:06 PM

For the person that asked about Pharmacy, I would say yes, St. John's is the best option in NYC. Also look into LIU for pharmacy.

I am not one 100% sure about SUNY Stony brook, but that school is generally very good for pre-med and is a very underrated school.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala718 View Post
Baruch College is the best business school after NYU and Columbia, and it's also the best bang for your buck business school!
I would have to disagree. Fordham is. There is no comparison between Fordham's student Body (3.7 GPA, close to 1300 SAT avg) and Baruch's (3.0 GPA, 1050 SAT).

Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM

11,538 posts, read 12,560,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_colleges View Post
For the person that asked about Pharmacy, I would say yes, St. John's is the best option in NYC. Also look into LIU for pharmacy.

I am not one 100% sure about SUNY Stony brook, but that school is generally very good for pre-med and is a very underrated school.
Stony Brook is not underrated. It has an excellent reputation for the sciences and for science research, but it is not in NYC. It is in Suffolk County.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 32,992 times
what about pace?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 65,620 times
1. Columbia (Barnard is a Women's Liberal Arts College in Columbia, therefore they go together)
2. New York University
3. Tie - Cooper Union (Engineering) AND The Juilliard School (VERY prestigious music school)
4. Fordham University
5. Tie- Baruch College of the CUNY (Great Business School) and St. John's University
6. Tie- Hunter College of the Cuny AND City College of New York
7. Pace University
8. The New School

I would definitely have to agree with NooYowkur81. Columbia is a distant first. Cooper Union and Juilliard would be far in front of Fordham and NYU would be right between Columbia and Cooper Union/Juilliard. I'm saying NYU is somewhat closer to Columbia than many people think, The Leonard Stern Business School as well as the Law School at NYU is comparable to the Business and Law School in Columbia. Columbia's Business School is ranked 9th compared to NYU's 11th on US and World News. and NYU's Law School is ranked 5th in most lists in comparison to Columbia's 4th.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 65,620 times
Regarding St.John's University: As a school for general studies such as accounting, business etc. it is a very easy school to get into. I don't think anyone would disagree. There are students that get into St.Johns with like 2.5 GPAs and that is not an exaggeration. At my high school (located in Long Island), St.John's is not highly regarded at all except the 6 Year Pharmacy Program. However, many people make this seem like it's more prestigious than it really is. I know students that got into the Pharmacy Program with 3.0 GPAs. Generally everybody gets in from around here. It all depends on how much money they give.

As a high school student on long island, i can tell you that Columbia, NYU, Cooper Union as well as Juilliard are all highly regarded. Fordham is the hidden jewel because most LI students don't even realize that Fordham is located in NYC or that it is a good school. Pace is generally regarded as the school that students go to if they do not get into NYU but still want to spend the next 4 years at the heart of the City. There is also Yeshiva which I failed to rank on my list but i would say that some students are aware of its strengths in the medical/law department.

As for me personally, I was very excited about the thought of living in the City. Columbia, located Uptown in Morningside Heights or NYU located in the "heart of manhattan", near the TIme Square area were the choices for me as well as schools out of state. In the end I chose NYU not only because I got waitlisted at Columbia but because of it's excellent Political Science/International Relations program. Like what they said at the accepted students day, NYU nurtures students to become global citizens and they really emphasis the global. The study abroad program is also magnificent, with programs in London, Madrid, Shanhai and even Accra (Ghana). I am very excited to attend NYU.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:19 PM

4,645 posts, read 4,502,330 times
1. Columbia (Barnard is a Women's Liberal Arts College in Columbia, therefore they go together)
2. Tie - The Cooper Union (Art/Architecture/Engineering) AND The Juilliard School (VERY prestigious music school)
3. New York University
4. Fordham University
5. Tie- Baruch College of the CUNY (Great Business School) and St. John's University
6. Tie- Hunter College of the Cuny AND City College of New York
7. Pace University
8. The New School

Disclaimer: I'm a Cooper Union alumnus. That being said, I would probably place Cooper Union and Julliard above NYU. Those are two of the most selective schools in the country and extremely tough to get into: Cooper Union is tuition-free and had an acceptance rate of about 7.4% (compared to NYU's 37%). Julliard's admissions process is even more selective. I know that selectivity isn't everything but while there are extraordinary students at any school, in order to get into one of these two institutions you really have to stand out.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 04-24-2010 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 AM

11,538 posts, read 12,560,273 times
Cooper Union and Juilliard are really speciality schools. You can't compare them with large general universities like Pace or NYU. If you are going to include them, then you would have to include Pratt, FIT, Mannes, Manhattan School of Music, among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City