Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:09 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,111 times

Advertisements

no not too seriously Mott. just annoyed by your comment. it just sounds like you assume the worst of people just to make yourself feel better. What you describe sounds like the morning commute. Because on the ride going home. I see lots of people talking, laughing, others seem like they are just grateful to get a seat on the train and to be going home. So instead of thinking ha look at those poor suckers who weren't quick enough to find a seat (not saying that you do) i'm just thinking I'm glad to be sitting down and going home. But then again I'm somewhat conceited and vain and not thinking much about other people on the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 AM

173 posts, read 192,612 times
Thats absolutely what I am doing..I am looking around at all the miserable people and glad to not be them..thinking how they live in rat trap apts, with 7 ugly kids, making $10 an hour..and I feel all warm and giddy inside...it is a great start to my day. =)

Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
they are just grateful to get a seat on the train and to be going home. So instead of thinking ha look at those poor suckers who weren't quick enough to find a seat (not saying that you do) i'm just thinking I'm glad to be sitting down and going home.
.................................................. .................................................. ....

that there's the crust of the matter, mir. it's easy to laugh with others seated(or to laugh to oneself if need be as many do indeed do) when you have a seat. the ones you see with sour demeanors like myself are the seatless ones who never get a seat after a hard day's work.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
I like to keep looking down at the end of the car, as if I'm trying to look into the next car. People will see you doing that and they will start looking in the same direction. Try it,it's sort of funny to get everyone to look at nothing!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
My reply just got 'bounced' off the network, so I hope this doesn't end up posted twice. Anyway, I think I know what a big part of this is contributed to.

In the morning commutes, people are not "awake" yet, so we avoid the energy of engaging in conversation. (However, for some it is probably their time to read the paper, Period.)

In the afternoon-evening commutes, people are tired from work and brain-fried from dealing with the public, so we don't want to talk to anyone if we don't have to. The newspapers are replaced with IPods, with even less eye-contact. I do smile. There is no excuse to avoid a smile.

I sometimes do read in busses, but will not read in trains, ever. I observe those around me instead and am "aware". It's my nature.

Hate to say this, but this threads makes us all sound like a sorry bunch.

But here's what's funny about MY post: I live in Portland, not NYC. But it's more than obvious that mass-transit attitudes are exactly the same here as there.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I'm visiting my folks in the Atlanta suburbs in 2 weeks. I'll be riding the Atlanta MARTA train from the Airport to the suburbs--I can't wait to ride it and see how it differs from NY. One good thing is that my ride is 24 miles and the trip is made in 47 minutes according to their schedule. I've viewed the insides of some of those trains online and they look like the newer, wider NY cars like the A and N lines

The marta sucks. For Atlanta to be so big, the public transportation is kind of pitiful. Your trip my be 47 minutes, but have fun waiting forever to begin your trip.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
being a train lover, it doesn't bother me. however my mother, who is from ny and moved to the south 11 years ago lets herself be influenced by some of those old georgians who have never even been to atlanta and despise the trains and anything about the city. mom wanted me to take a cab (over $75) from the airport to their house when it takes the same amount of time on marta for only $1.75

Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM

473 posts, read 1,670,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
.....I'm a starer. I like to watch people.
You definitely don't ride the 2/5 in the Bronx. I would have read/seen a story about you by now!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
You definitely don't ride the 2/5 in the Bronx. I would have read/seen a story about you by now!
Why do you suppose that is? Just *******s? Or do they hate seeing that they can't easily "sneak up" on someone who's watching them?

Old 08-28-2008, 11:57 AM

173 posts, read 192,612 times
Lol..I do the same thing..and I ride all the trains! Don't believe the hype...nobody is gonna bother you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City