Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 30,688 times

Advertisements

Harvard has a bedbug identification program: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/bedbugs/#examined]Bed Bugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,175,515 times
I'm worrying I might have a bed bug infestation. The crazy thing is I never had any sort of rodent or roach problem, but recently in the dead of winter I've been noticing these bites on my body similar to mosquito bites.

What can I do about this crap? Does anyone know of anyone reliable to get rid of the problem?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM

33,500 posts, read 46,882,579 times
thats sucks nooyorkur. a friend of mine had bedbugs in her crib. she ended up replacing most of her funiture and she bought a spray to kill bedbugs at the hardware store and she says she only saw 1 or 2 since she did all that. so maybe you wanna take the same route.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-03-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,616,859 times
I saw some ad on the train the other day about how to control Bed Bugs and there was a number for their product. I sort of glance it but pay little attention. Maybe the ad still there. I was on either the #2 or the #3.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 AM

10,168 posts, read 20,721,601 times
I've heard that the wooden benches on subway platforms are prone to bedbug infestation, so I would think twice before sitting on them.

Getting rid of them in your home can be costly. A friend of mine was quoted $250 per room by an exterminator. He didn't have the funds so the exterminator told him to throw away his mattress and spray a water and bleach solution on any bugs he could see.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,779,354 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought bed bugs liked warm and dry, thus the bed. Wouldn't the bathroom be somewhere they would avoid???

Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,499,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I've heard that the wooden benches on subway platforms are prone to bedbug infestation, so I would think twice before sitting on them.
That's a good way to touch off a panic needlessly. Bedbugs prefer warm, cozy environments like...say...beds! Hard wooden benches aren't the kinds of places they enjoy hanging around.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM

10,168 posts, read 20,721,601 times
OK, read the article below if you think I'm just making it up...in addition to subway benches you can add movie theater seats, taxi's, and other public places as well. I'm not saying they are all infested, but if you find yourself with a bedbug problem at home and you haven't a clue as to why, there is a good chance you picked it up in a public place sitting somewhere. Especially if you haven't been to a hotel or motel which is where you would typically pick up an infestation.

SUBWAYS' BLOOD-BUG INVASION - New York Post

Where Bedbugs Ride Around, Besides Just Beds - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 PM

295 posts, read 1,502,185 times
Default hmmm....

There are many different types of bugs.

Do you have anything that the bugs may be coming for in your bathroom...like cat food? Plants? Natural Body lotion, ect?

I had a bug infestation in my cupboards...it turned out to be a pasta-flour loving borrowing bug that I must have brought home in some food. After keeping all foods in glass jars & throwing away everything, they never came back.

Plus: I sit on many benches & subway seats for years & have gone to many a hotel. Never any bed bugs. Never....not to say it can't happen...just to say I don't think of bed bugs 1st off.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,038,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by znycgirl View Post
There are many different types of bugs.

Do you have anything that the bugs may be coming for in your bathroom...like cat food? Plants? Natural Body lotion, ect?

I had a bug infestation in my cupboards...it turned out to be a pasta-flour loving borrowing bug that I must have brought home in some food. After keeping all foods in glass jars & throwing away everything, they never came back.

Plus: I sit on many benches & subway seats for years & have gone to many a hotel. Never any bed bugs. Never....not to say it can't happen...just to say I don't think of bed bugs 1st off.

Bedbugs have made a huge resurgence just in the past 4 years or so. I've never gotten them either, but I'm aware enough to know they are a huge problem in every major city, NYC included, and they are in wooden subway benches, taxis, hospitals, schools etc. I may be lucky enough not to ever sit in a taxi or bus or theatre that's infested, but I also know enough to educate myself and not close my eyes to the facts.

And btw, I never sit on those wooden benches in the subway anymore after reading that article last year and subsequently riding the train at 3am to come home from a party and seeing that those benches ARE people's beds during the nighttime hours. And a few weeks later seeing a guy stretched out on one of the benches in the Delancey St station scratching like crazy.

I'll stick to awareness and education on this issue!! Other people may want to self-educate as well on the proper websites, as the city is not bothering to educate us on this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City