Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 13,947 times

Advertisements

ok, so after peeking around a little bit, i still need some specifics. can someone help me with a safety check? i'm from cleveland and am completely clueless about new york.

starting in january, i will need to travel to nyc for several weekends, and am looking at hostels. i found one with great reviews, but am curious about neighborhood. i am female, in my thirties, and would likely be traveling with a few other women. we'll be heading out around 8 am, and probably back after dinner (after dark, at least during the winter months).

here's the address:

159 W 118 Street

also...any good restaurants around?

thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 AM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypeppermint View Post
ok, so after peeking around a little bit, i still need some specifics. can someone help me with a safety check? i'm from cleveland and am completely clueless about new york.

starting in january, i will need to travel to nyc for several weekends, and am looking at hostels. i found one with great reviews, but am curious about neighborhood. i am female, in my thirties, and would likely be traveling with a few other women. we'll be heading out around 8 am, and probably back after dinner (after dark, at least during the winter months).

here's the address:

159 W 118 Street

also...any good restaurants around?

thanks for any help!
Your address is incorrect. That building # is for 119 street. The area is still rough, but gentrifying very quickly. You have a very low rate of something happening to you. In 5 years it will be completely safe and a place to show off to people. Adequate mixture of restaurants for all types of cultures and economic classes within walking distance (10 blocks or less). Restaurants seem to be expanding by the minute. That particular area has great transportation options so there is no restaurant that is really far away.

Last edited by ogplife; 08-28-2008 at 03:42 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 AM

24 posts, read 88,880 times
not true - there are good restaurants - settepani and native on lenox. cafe ambassador, harlem vintage, and mocha lounge are even closer. there is a starbucks right there.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 AM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingUptown View Post
not true - there are good restaurants - settepani and native on lenox. cafe ambassador, harlem vintage, and mocha lounge are even closer. there is a starbucks right there.

Explain to me what I said that is not true? I said there are restaurants within walking distance and if she wants greater variety she would be close to the train to access more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City