Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,069,300 times

Advertisements

Its not that expensive. My daughter is starting at a very nice day care that is $300 per week for 5 days from the hours of 8am to 6pm. I find that fairly reasonable to care for a 2 year old all day. But I'm just putting her in for 2 days per week since she's only 2, so that goes up to $200. In the home there are people who charge very little like $25 for the day, and you can get good nannies to come to your home for I believe around $500 per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM

838 posts, read 1,205,365 times
$300 a week?!?!?! AAHHH!!!!! It looks like I am going to have my kids as close as possible and ask my man to stay home with them while I work .

Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,550,548 times
It's tough on single parents but also on married parents where both work. It's also tough on the kids. The wise always say there's no such thing as a free ride or free lunch. Both parents work/child and parent lose out on those full years that are lost forever/but both parents need to work to afford child.

What a dilemma. And what a price tag for moving forward from a pastoral society to a technological one.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:41 AM

We were lucky enough that H could stay home with the baby for the past 2 years. A bit untraditional but I make more dough HAHA. You wont believe the job they're capable of though page! Your man could definitely handle it, even if he doesn't seem the type right now. But you're much younger and may not be making the kind of money I'm making to support a whole family. This arrangement made things easy on us, but if I was making the money I made in my early 20's we would've been struggling through life rather than enjoying our baby.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 AM

335 posts, read 1,111,428 times
Wow i never knew child care was soooooo much!! I guess my mom and sister have been very lucky. My mom lucky because she had my grandmother's help to raise me and my sister (we are twins) and my sister is lucky because she had the help of our grandmother and mother to help raise her son. And I know should I ever have a child and god willing my mom is still in good health I will have my mom to help me out also. I love my mom. She offers to babysit my brother's children like one weekend a month just to help out my sister in law when she was going through problems with my bro. We are very lucky to have a mom like that.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 AM

Yes, family can be a big help. My MIL had some medical issues so we couldn't have her watch a newborn full time. Now she's been better and the baby is far easier to care for now that she's actually a toddler, so she'll go to school twice a week and go to her grandmother's on the other 2 days. I'm usually off on fridays. So we have been very lucky with the way things have gone.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Oh I'm definitely not making ANYWHERE near what you're making quelinda. Shoot, if I was, I would have jumped on my maternal drive by now! LOL .
I am an aspiring OR RN...now on that salary..I can support a family. If my husband (bf haha ) makes more than me, then we can decide. But yeah, actually, I think a lot of men can do an AWESOME job taking care of the homefront while the kids are still young. Plus my man is very handy. He's mr.fix-er-upper. And he can cook well too! Men may not admit this..but many of them know how to cook better than women!
I'm all for it. So long as my man isn't sitting at home and playing video games and letting the trash pile up..we are all good to go. Is it awful of me to say that I rather work than be at home while the kids are little? Don't get me wrong, I want to spend lots of time with my children..but I think I'm going to be happier working.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 AM

My man can't boil water and can only "cook" in the microwave. Thank goodness for deliveries so he and the baby can eat while I'm at work. He does do the trash and is also very handy, but sheesh I sure end up doing more of the cleaning! Typical male! Now that he's going back to work soon, I need a CLEANER!

I'm also happy that I get to continue working while my baby has been well cared for. She was so cute at her first day of nursery school this morning. She's so independent and loves playing with kids. So I brought her and stayed for 45 minutes, when I was ready to leave she's like "BYE MOMMY" and kept on playing with the kids. She seemed to really like it. I'll know more by the end of the day how things went for her first day.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM

335 posts, read 1,111,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Oh I'm definitely not making ANYWHERE near what you're making quelinda. Shoot, if I was, I would have jumped on my maternal drive by now! LOL .
I am an aspiring OR RN...now on that salary..I can support a family. If my husband (bf haha ) makes more than me, then we can decide. But yeah, actually, I think a lot of men can do an AWESOME job taking care of the homefront while the kids are still young. Plus my man is very handy. He's mr.fix-er-upper. And he can cook well too! Men may not admit this..but many of them know how to cook better than women!
I'm all for it. So long as my man isn't sitting at home and playing video games and letting the trash pile up..we are all good to go. Is it awful of me to say that I rather work than be at home while the kids are little? Don't get me wrong, I want to spend lots of time with my children..but I think I'm going to be happier working.
It's funny how we have it all figured out in our heads. My job sucks because they only give us FIVE paid days off for maternity leave. WTF is that?? But at least I get something since some don't get any. Well I have it figured out that I would get a second job should I get prego. Since I barely have any work to do at my first job I can get away with sleeping then. When I give birth take maternity leave for 3-6 months on the first job and only 6 weeks on the second job. That way I can be home during the day and work at night while hubby (and mom??) stay with baby at night or for a few hours. It seems good in theory. lol Any and every which way possible to save/make that money.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM

LOL I think women have this figured out in their heads. Is STRESS this stuff ..and my bf is like " Well baby we'll see what happens when the time comes"...and I'm like " No, the baby's room is going to be painted green and their name will be this..and formula isn't allowed around them..etc". I'm ready 8-10 years in advance. LOL. I'm already thinking of where we will "settle down" and what neighborhoods are good for kids lmao. My theory is......to work my hiney off for a year before I decide to get prego..and put a phat savings away just in case we need it to supplement anything. Then once I have healed from childbirth I will go right back to my job! HA! We will see how that works out. I'm appalled that your company gives you 5 days off for maternity leave..and I can't believe there are companies that give you less or none. I worked p/t at Petco before and the supervisor in the grooming area got 6 months off I believe...however she was paid at 40% if I am correct. I personally don't even mind if they stop paying me after the first few days or week..I just want to know that I still have my job and can go back once I heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City