Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times

Advertisements

page, whether or not your employer has to hold your job depends on whether they are subject to the Family Medical Leave Act. If so you get 12 weeks unpaid leave in any 12 month period. Whether or not they are subject to the Act depends on how long you've worked at the company and how many employees the company has. Do a google search for this Act and it will give you the details.

I was lucky to receive 6 paid weeks maternity leave. I took 3 weeks off, and then came back slowly, in 4th week 1 day, fifth week 1 day, sixth week 2 days, etc. This worked out great. I realize I am lucky with this job. I've been here for 12 years now.

P.S. Papi picked up the baby from school early today as it was her first day. She never cried once, and she's only 2 and this is her first time being left with anyone but family. I was blessed with such an easy going baby! I am so proud of her! Aren't all parents though? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
LOL I think women have this figured out in their heads. Is STRESS this stuff ..and my bf is like " Well baby we'll see what happens when the time comes"...and I'm like " No, the baby's room is going to be painted green and their name will be this..and formula isn't allowed around them..etc". I'm ready 8-10 years in advance. LOL. I'm already thinking of where we will "settle down" and what neighborhoods are good for kids lmao. My theory is......to work my hiney off for a year before I decide to get prego..and put a phat savings away just in case we need it to supplement anything. Then once I have healed from childbirth I will go right back to my job! HA! We will see how that works out. I'm appalled that your company gives you 5 days off for maternity leave..and I can't believe there are companies that give you less or none. I worked p/t at Petco before and the supervisor in the grooming area got 6 months off I believe...however she was paid at 40% if I am correct. I personally don't even mind if they stop paying me after the first few days or week..I just want to know that I still have my job and can go back once I heal.
Ha If i told you everything I have planned when it comes to kids and family I could write a book. I guess that is just the maternal side of us. but yeah I don't care about not getting paid either which is why I said about the second job. I suck when it comes to spending/saving. I know I would go through my savings in a heart beat. lol I need money constantly coming in. Like you said as long as I have a job to come back to then whatever.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Then girls, if your concern is coming back to a job, just make sure you are situated at an employer who is subject to the FMLA and you will be guaranteed your job back after 12 unpaid weeks off pursuant to Federal law. BTW, men can also get FMLA unpaid leave so once you finish taking your 12 weeks, he can then take 12 weeks off too (the leave must be taken within 1 year of the birth of the baby), so the baby has a total of 24 weeks with its parents.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:39 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
LOL w/ mir_ny...I agree!
Wow quelinda..I had no idea men qualify for it too. That's great.
I'm glad your little one is doing well at preschool ....how sweet. She sounds
a lot like me. My first day of kindergarten my mom was videotaping me and my
sister and everyone was sniffling and trying to say goodbye and you see me run
up quickly to kiss them and I ran off and said " OK BYE!!" and waved happily as
I nearly ran face first into the door of my classroom lol.
Quelinda..you gotta let me know what kind of company you are with! Sounds ideal.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 PM

335 posts, read 1,112,952 times
Thanks quelinda for the info!!!

I hope my kids are as independent as your baby girl.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:28 PM

140 posts, read 301,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
A completely random thread. How much does daycare cost in NYC? No, not the super-dee-duper-over-rated daycares...just your average daycare from someone's home. In San Diego, I was astonished that a decent daycare charges around $800 per child average...is it somewhat the same over here? I have heard it's even MORE. What do people charge who run their daycares from their house? Less perhaps? Give me a quick rundown.
$160 a week for patty trained toddler in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City