Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:26 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-get-grip.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...overrated.html

Another first time poster ranting about how NYC is so over-rated. Anyone else seeing a trend here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
If she lived in any other city, she could've married, bought a house with a yard and a pool (any professor could in the suburbs), have children, lived so so so much comfortably and confidentaly, and probably will not fall into this miserable state.
Life is over at 34?? Good grief. Many women get married in NYC later than this and move out to the suburbs, and a professor, especially when they achieve full tenure with a university, can do this as well if they so choose. I think that this is a stretch to make it sound as though she's 94 and never married and the big city ruined her chances. She needs to get out of the "hovel" you described and meet some people, perhaps at the bookstore?

And, there are so many GREAT things about New York, that I cannot possibly skip over all of those and merely enumerate the GOOD things as your post requests.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:52 PM

205 posts, read 507,709 times
i thinks its the good food, music and hot bootyfull latinas that keep me here. other than that. ehhhhh. lol.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I guess it's different for those who grew up here. NY is more than a home to locals. I try to explain it to my friends from out of state and I always have trouble. The whole downstate NY area basically has its own culture. I've traveled so many places and it's so different than NY. NYers have an understanding of one another. I have friends from all over the country and I find that mostly NYers can understand my humor and attitude. That's what mainly keeps here. I live an average life for a NYer, and even though i can probably live a pretty good life anywhere else, I would choose to stay here for the reasons listed above

And oh yeah, not all NYers look jaded and older than their age. I'm 24 and I get mistaken for being 15 years old lol. And I'll always have that young look to me i'm sure.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The whole downstate NY area basically has its own culture. I've traveled so many places and it's so different than NY. NYers have an understanding of one another. I have friends from all over the country and I find that mostly NYers can understand my humor and attitude. That's what mainly keeps here.
Amen.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,985 times
Default This topic has been discussed ad infinitum...

on this forum already.

NYC, like every place on earth has its good and its bad. For some it's the best thing since sliced bread, others won't be caught dead here, and yet others like it for a visit or night on the town then head back to anytown USA.

For those who love are addicted to it, there's no place anywhere quite like it. Then there are those for whom it's the ideal place to be at a certain period in their lives but before or thereafter it's time to call it quits.

No need to repeat the pros and cons of the city again - just check our other threads, but only you and you alone can determine if there's a good fit between you (OP) and NYC. If there is, then welcome and be prepared for some great highs and deep lows. If it isn't, no problem, we all eventually find somewhere to experience the highs and lows of life.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 AM

938 posts, read 4,093,151 times
h8r

Old 08-30-2008, 12:14 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Some people say it's all the famous and fancy restaurants and bars. Again, how often do you spend 300 dollars on meal or on a club dancing, if you are just getting by life working a mediocre pay job, and living in a shack in bronx?

Of course, if you are working on wall street or consulting or some hotshot lawyer/doctor, then yes, you can get a luxury condo facing Central park and attend an opera once a week and go to a gallery opening with fancy associates once a week, and shell out 500 dollars on fancy french restaurants once a week. Then yes, I admit, New York is a great place to be.

Her face looks like she's already 55. I ask her if she enjoys living in the city, she says "oh yea, of course". But from her wrinkled and tired and weathered face, I can detect a strong expression of helplessness, of resignation, of struggle.

If she lived in any other city, she could've married, bought a house with a yard and a pool (any professor could in the suburbs), have children, lived so so so much comfortably and confidentaly, and probably will not fall into this miserable state.
Ever thought a lot of people are simply born and raised here and have family, jobs and lives here? Yeah, sounds great to live off in another city without any family and old friends around. And the jobs can be QUITE good here too.

To me its not the operas and most expensive restaurants in this city that makes it great. I love the diverse street life, the people in the parks, the street performers, the many ethnic restaurants that are really quite cheap for what you get (like the Turkish restaurant nearby that has delicious $13 entrees and has live belly dancing and a material covered ceiling like a tent) and the free live music when you know where to find it which I do. As far as a street scene, no other city compares.

As to the woman whom you speak about with the wrinkles. Why indeed does she continue to live here if its so horrible? And not all women here have wrinkles! How silly, I sure dont.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Ever thought a lot of people are simply born and raised here and have family, jobs and lives here? Yeah, sounds great to live off in another city without any family and old friends around. And the jobs can be QUITE good here too.

To me its not the operas and most expensive restaurants in this city that makes it great. I love the diverse street life, the people in the parks, the street performers, the many ethnic restaurants that are really quite cheap for what you get (like the Turkish restaurant nearby that has delicious $13 entrees and has live belly dancing and a material covered ceiling like a tent) and the free live music when you know where to find it which I do. As far as a street scene, no other city compares.

As to the woman whom you speak about with the wrinkles. Why indeed does she continue to live here if its so horrible? And not all women here have wrinkles! How silly, I sure dont.
I totally agree with this post. I simply love NY and will stay here forever because I was born here, and my family is here. I love it. It has everything I need and want, and it's home. I love traveling and going around the world, but NY is and always will be home.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 19,302 times
I like visiting NYC once in a while, but I wouldn't want to live there. I like to come home to a nice quiet area at the end of the day. If you just live nearby and not in it, then your money will go further and then you can use that to travel in and see a show or what not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City